Slam door + 33/1 push-pull

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Slam door + 33/1 push-pull

Postby JamesLit » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi all,

Only an idle pursuit so not too fussed about how this goes.....

I'd like to have a play around with the slam door EMUs to get them behaving properly with a 33/1 in push-pull mode.

They will drive okay, with direction change, power, brakes etc - but even though they aren't receiving any power from the 3rd rail (and so, to be fair, aren't making any 3rd rail/electric sounds, which is good), the virtual throttle set up still works and so the 33 throttle settings match this - meaning that it goes up and down just as the throttle on the slam doors does, which is completely wrong.

In essence, the 33/1s had governors with 5 stages including off, effectively matching the CIG: off, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% - rather than the fluid movement the 33/0s had. The power controllers in the cabs were modified to suit, receiving notches, preventing fluid movement.

I'd like to get it so that the 33/1 works correctly in this way rather than the slam door unit dictating the power settings with its scripted throttle set up even though it's not powering!

Any suggestions? I am pretty familiar with LUA in principle, now, but I can see several ways of doing this, so for that reason and that I haven't really had the chance to actually try and apply much of my knowledge: how would you guys do it?

I'm not asking for you to literally write the script, but if that's how you want to explain it then I won't say no. :lol:
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Re: Slam door + 33/1 push-pull

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:34 pm

The first thing I would do is make copies of the EMUs that will be specifically for driving in push/pull mode with a class 33. You can remove any sound child objects that aren't required when driving over electrified track if required, but the main purpose is so that you use your own script that will simulate the class 33 driving characteristics instead of the EMU current/back-emf/tractive effort relationship curve. Then, when you couple a class 33 to the stock to propel them, the class 33 will mimic the behaviour of the EMU regulator that has been set up to drive like a class 33, assuming that the Apply to Consist tick box for the control Regulator is ticked.

The only downside to this is that if you wanted to uncouple from the class 33 and drive away with the EMU driving itself, it would still drive like it was being propelled by a class 33. Overcoming that issue would require a script for the EMUs that will change the regulator mode based on whether a class 33 is within the consist or not, including simulating the electric current-regulator model AND the class 33 behaviour model. The class 33 would also have to have a new script as well so that it can send a message to the EMU script to say "I'm here!" or not. It therefore quickly gets more complicated, but it's not particularly hard to do if you are well practiced with TS scripting. :) The hardest bit would probably be recreating the behaviour of an EMU power handle accurately for the "no 33 coupled" mode.

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room