Banner repeater signals.

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Banner repeater signals.

Postby RobertM » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:07 pm

For my South Devon Route I am in need a banner repeater (old style, not a modern LED) for the approach to Staverton from Totnes.

Now my basic understanding of signalling in TS is that some signal authors use different scripts and as a result different signal scripts are not 100% compatible with each other, such as Mark Brinton's SR signals with a custom script that seems to default signals to on (stop) and the default KUJU scrips that default to off (go) which most signal authors use.

For my SDR route, I have used John Yellands GWR signal kits, but the only banner repeater I have been able to find is Marks which going back to my point use diffrent scripts each.

So, are there any old style Banner repeaters anywhere that are compatible with John's GWR signals?

Robert
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Re: Banner repeater signals.

Postby Widewanderer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:13 am

Hello Robert,

How about turning this all about, and consider using Mark Brinton-scripted signals throughout? Or, indeed, signals powered by AndiS's new scripts? I, for one, find the habit of signals passed in the reverse direction clearing automatically behind a train (as is the case with Kuju Default-scripted signals and the UK Pro colour light set) most unsettling to see, and I avoid the use of these scripts in routes I am editing/developing myself. Defaulting to "on" prevents the signals clearing automatically when passed in a reverse direction - as featured in Mark Brinton and AndiS powered models. Be aware, however, that Mark Brinton's scripts will not allow a signal to clear if a train actually reverses until that train actually begins moving fractionally towards the signal - a trade off. AndiS handles this slightly differently, providing what he calls "movement predictors", a range of track-linked tools which can be placed at the scenario level, to control how signals behave in various situations. The two scripting systems are not compatible with one another, so a decision needs to be made regarding which to use, right from the outset.

John used default Kuju scripts (with a few modifications/enhancements from AndiS) for his very excellent models, but the said Kuju-based scripts still leave the problem of signals clearing automatically when passed in reverse. To that end, I had a go at adapting John's models to work with Mark's scripts - and it all worked, very easily. It's merely a matter of editing the blueprints for each signal model one wishes to use, changing the reference to the script to be used, of course, and altering the child names to reflect the naming convention Mark has used in his code. That's it.

For my own amusement, I now have a set of John's BR(WR) signals powered by Mark's scripts, and my copy of the Falmouth Branch signalled throughout with these models. I am much happier with the "feel" I now get when driving along this pretty little route - now that the rather ghastly "default" signals are gone. The next move from me for this route will be to try and get AndiS's scripts working with these signals - and again, it looks as if it should be quite straightforward, just a matter of some good old-fashioned leg work and time, producing appropriate "front-end" lua scripts for each model. The format of these little scripts is very simple - AndiS has already done all the really heavy lifting in the "back-end" scripts which are hidden away!

To produce the new set of Yelland/Brinton BR(WR) boards, I cloned the GeoPcDx and bin files into my own developer folder ("Widewanderer"), so as to be able to leave John's originals untouched by my potentially dodgey experimentation! Fortunately, it all worked out. If John and Mark are both in agreement, I would be more than happy to share my findings, but ultimately, that would have to be their call...

Robert, your South Devon route looks lovely. Good luck with your decisions about signalling it, and if I can help further, do let me know.

Best wishes,
Rob :-D

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks for your kind words.

Mark gave me permission to relaunch his signal "under my name", as he said.
John did not seem the need for such a new pack, mostly because GWRKINGCLASS who creates the great Oxford - Paddington 1950s/60s route postponed switching to my scripts for a later date.

Even though my work with Mark's signals is not complete yet, I cannot hold back offering my help on another one. :roll:
I got a few scripts and Excel sheets in place to take a bean counter approach to such a challenge, targeting big and systematic sets of error-free blueprints, which can be quite a toil indeed.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby RobertM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks Rob, I am pleased with how the SDR route is progressing.

I did/do want to use Mark's scripts from the get go of the route, but the lack of a GWR signal kit using the more advanced scripts was not available, meaning multiple compromises are going to be made for this route, such as the banner repeater, a combined shunt signal with a bracket signal setup for the loop at Staverton and most prominent calling on signals for the approach to Buckfastleigh.

I myself am not technically minded enough to start tinkering with files such as these, I would be upto someone showing me the ropes on such a project (not hinting btw).

Andi, reading your comment I am under the impression that you are open to the idea of a GWR kit? Or am I over reading your post? :oops:

Rob
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Postby AndiS » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:21 pm

I am open to the idea but you should talk to John about it before we put loads of time into it.

There is also an unreleased and slightly unfinished collection of BR(W) signals by Matthew Callaghan that includes a banner repeater. They feature concrete posts. No idea if that would suit your needs. I received them for my long-term dreams about Taunton. The only shot of them I can find now is below. The post versions are less spectacular, so I ignored them until now. :roll: I never got around trying out the banners or route indicators, but they are there.
Attachments
TauntonSignalBridgeMar27.jpg
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby RobertM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 am

Okay I'll PM John about it. The route itself is only 1/2 half way complete scenery wise so I am in no rush for them yet.

For reference, here's the culprit of the thread.

bannerreapeater.jpg

Rob
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Postby Widewanderer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Another couple of thoughts for you, Rob...

1) Just Trains have a banner repeater in their "ModernObjects" asset folder. I think it got there as part of Mully's Scottish ECML, published by JT. Mully's signals on this route were, I think, driven by default Kuju scripts, so I am guessing that this banner repeater should be compatible with John's signals you were originally thinking of using on your SDR route.

2) Creative Rail's "China Clay for Export" route includes a set of BR(WR) semaphores and discs, all driven by Mark Brinton scripts. Perhaps this set might offer a ready-made solution, if you decide to go with entirely MB scripted signalling.

Cheers!

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby DPSimulation » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:34 pm

That particular repeater originally came with Totham and was presumably used in following releases. Given it was a semi-fictional route, i've no idea now why it was created and subsequently included, but it was!
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby Widewanderer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:30 am

Ah, yes, thanks Darren ;) It had to be Totham or SECML - I've got both on my system... I rather like Totham - Southampton & Millbrook in all but name... That was a fun project, taking out the original Kuju signalling and replacing it with Just Trains Modern Signals (such a good set of signals, JTMS, imho). Totham wasn't originally your creation, was it?

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby DPSimulation » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Widewanderer wrote:Totham wasn't originally your creation, was it?

It was. One of those not sure why moments, that period was a bit of a blur.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Next

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room