Train Sim World

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Re: Train Sim World

Postby briyeo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:42 am

It will be interesting to see what a steam locomotive looks like in the new sim. If they do any that is ?
briyeo
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:08 pm

briyeo wrote:It will be interesting to see what a steam locomotive looks like in the new sim. If they do any that is ?

They've said they will be.

I have a few bits of insider information that suggest that steam locos are going to be very exciting.

It'd also be like cutting an arm off just for the sake of it.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby AndiS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:52 pm

JamesLit wrote:I have a few bits of insider information that suggest that steam locos are going to be very exciting.

I have solid outsider information that says exactly the same. :lol:

Just don't let anyone fool you. They will do choochoos and they will do at least one soon -- if only to disprove Facebookers who would campaign that TSW can't do steam.

It is all coming our way, but not next week. They will not leave out anything that has some sales potential. They are a 100 strong and all but one will focus on getting stuff into TSW. The one will convert UE4 materials of new models to TrainUberShader so they can cater the existing market while it still pays off.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm not sure on that last point Andi. The locos in the video look several measures more detailed than anything we've done in TS - and I'm a generous man when it comes to polys!
I would think if you put those models straight into TS it would melt even the most alien of alienware PC's :?
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:27 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:I'm not sure on that last point Andi. The locos in the video look several measures more detailed than anything we've done in TS - and I'm a generous man when it comes to polys!
I would think if you put those models straight into TS it would melt even the most alien of alienware PC's :?

You aren't wrong, Pete, but then remember that TS is incredibly poorly optimised even now, the basic engine was built in, what, 2005? It's had so little change in terms of the actual backend - they've just bolted on extra bits and pieces over the years, in essence. It makes absolutely terrible use of hardware and has lots of bottlenecks that go deep within the makeup of the sim, like the very low level of RAM available to the sim, and the inability to make anywhere near the full use of your graphics card, heavy reliance on CPU for graphics, sticking to one, or two cores at once if you're lucky.

UE4 of course doesn't suffer from those issues, so as much as it brings forth brain-melting levels of details, it (and therefore your PC) will be able to deal with them far better than 'TS1' ever will.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:34 pm

Oh I completely agree James I've no concerns about UE4 (I've been working with Unity for a while which is not dissimilar), I was just rebutting Andi's speculation that with the application of the UberShader that DTG would chuck all of the new TSW models into TS... from what I saw of the models in that video, the aged creaking render engine of TS would have a melt down :lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby AndiS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:17 pm

I stand corrected regarding the TS meltdown then. Actually, I just felt like fitting in a little 'but' or else people go and say "AndiS said 'no more TS add-ons from DTG'".

I just believe they do have plans at getting models into both platforms. Maybe create low-poly versions for TS? I read so much about clever modifiers that it all seems a doodle to me now, if only one tries. :lol: But they could also just finish off projects that were started a while ago and still show enough release activity to keep folks happy.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby JamesLit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Sorry both, I'm not sure what happened there, I read your comments again and I think I heard the sound of a small explosion from within my head. I've just had to sit down and read them several times to be able to process them completely. :lol:

But yes.... they have specifically said they will continue to release addons for 'TS1' until and after the release of TSW.

They have also specifically said that UK and steam content will follow TSW next year.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby AndiS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Sorry about your head. I keep hearing about health issues from people who read stuff I wrote. I start getting worried.

I looked it up, but no, there is no hazard sign for dangerous reading. I would use that as my avatar. But the only label related to reading that I know of is the "Read The F. Manual" icon you find on most devices. And we all know of the health conditions you can get from reading manuals, so this symbol can't be a candidate for my avatar.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:34 pm

While they will obviously have to push TSW, DTG would cut off what's likely to be a continuing, if tapering down, revenue stream for some time to come if they stopped producing DLC for the old engine as soon as the new one comes out. The problem they have is that not everyone will buy the new sim on Day One, Sure, some people will flash the cash but many I suspect will, like me, be waiting until either there's something that I can't live without or there's a sale and the price drops to the point where I'd be daft not to take a look. After all, clunky as it may be, we all have a lot of stuff for TS20XX that won't stop working when the new one comes out and can still enjoy it for what it is. Look at how long MSTS has lingered. The old engine is likely to hang around as long as the enthusiasts keep on producing for it. That gives DTG dilemmas on pricing and content availability. The more they work on stuff before the launch so there are lots of goodies to tempt us the more money they have to recoup and the higher the price-point is likely to be. On the other hand, get the price-point too high and it won't sell enough copies to make them a quick profit. I'd bet that nerves are beginning to jangle at DTG HQ.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room