Train Sim World

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Re: Train Sim World

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:20 pm

I suspect the key to success will be managing the drop off of TS and the build up of TSW. If they get it right then one should go down as the other goes up and they'll be fine. Mess it up and they'll go a year without any income.
I'm going to have much the same problem :?
However I am currently of the mind that those with a bent for trains more than 15 years old will likely stick with TS longer than others - based purely on the fact that DTG have shown little interest in older railways compared to modern ones.

Don't forget DTG will also get an instant cash influx when TSW goes on sale which will be bound to bring in more than any DLC as everyone who wants to buy future TSW DLC will need to have the core game.

The interesting thing today was reading DTG's announcement http://train-simulator.com/wp-content/u ... raphic.jpg
The text at the bottom referring to having to buy TSW: CSX Heavy Haul when it comes out makes me think that it WILL only be the CSX route and locos that come with the initial release. Which seeing DTG is a UK company is rather disappointing but I guess they need to follow the money overseas.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:The interesting thing today was reading DTG's announcement http://train-simulator.com/wp-content/u ... raphic.jpg
The text at the bottom referring to having to buy TSW: CSX Heavy Haul when it comes out makes me think that it WILL only be the CSX route and locos that come with the initial release. Which seeing DTG is a UK company is rather disappointing but I guess they need to follow the money overseas.

That was made clear in the announcement video.

However they confirmed that steam and UK content will follow in the same year, but not precisely what or when, or how it would be delivered (i.e. a separate version of the game, not requiring the CSX one, or as a DLC for it, etc).

I too share your concerns about the change over between the two....
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby AndiS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 pm

There is also this theory that TSW will come for free with every add-on. This would mean that people take the plunge (and get hooked to the new graphics) for something near 30 rather than the 50 or so that I would expect for the new base software plus a few routes.

Of course, people will moan about that, too, claiming that they are forced to buy the base software over and over again.

But in practice, it would not be stupid to pull the US folks in at the price of a single route, because they only get that. And the UK folks with a UK route, certainly not too much later than the US route. Those who want the other route will pay double, but maybe get some discount.

The net result would be more money from the collectors and an easy entry for the others. I don't advocate that, I just remember someone's theory and find that it is less unfounded than other theories.

P.S.: The quoted text reads "Taking part in the beta will not entitle you to a free copy of the release version of" TSW:CSX. It does not say "you need to buy". There could be other options on release day. The only think known is that you don't get TSW:CSX for free. And I guess you should not hope to get any other version of TSW for free after joining the beta, though this is not excluded in the text.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Pauls » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am

Does anyone know if the terrain mesh and textures will be higher resolution than TS ?

Thanks.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:11 pm

I can't see why they wouldn't use UE4's standard system for that, which is indeed much, much higher fidelity in that regard.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Pauls » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:56 am

JamesLit wrote:I can't see why they wouldn't use UE4's standard system for that, which is indeed much, much higher fidelity in that regard.

Would be great if they did - that is the one area of TS which really aggravates me.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby malkymackay » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:15 pm

A new video has just been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmo281NUg8
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 pm

This is actually rather nice to see! Pretty excited that they seem to be taking the game in to the direction of an actual proper simulation, in stead of a mere train driving game. One of the issues I saw with current gen TS, is that everything was hard-coded, and developers had to take workarounds to make everything slightly out of the usual working. I do hope the flexibility will be backed up with proper documentation, and actually let us do whatever we want.

I'll have to make a Heilmann steam-electric, just because!
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:21 pm

So, not having the beta (something something GTX275...), what is the opinion of the pros? Is there a /dev/docs folder? Are files in a locked or open format for us to have a look at?
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:24 pm

It is in essence totally closed.

Unsurprised there is nothing like the dev/docs folder yet however as obviously it's nowhere near finished and is a heavily stripped down version compared to what they have at DTG HQ.
JamesLit
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room