B & C Mk1 coaches.

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

B & C Mk1 coaches.

Postby RobertM » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi all, asked this on UKTS and thought I would here aswell...

Simple question, are there any reskins of the RSC/DTG Mk1 Blood & Custard coaches such as those from Woodhead, Falmouth branch or Wear Valley that brighten up the dingy textures? In comparison to the DT Mk1's and other 3rd party coaching packs, such as those currently being released on the Marketplace, they are very dark and dingy, and don't look right when mixing carriage sets up.

Prime example here, the coach on the right is the DT model, the center one is from Falmouth and the end coach is a Collett coach from the Exeter-Kingswear route. As you can see the Falmouth one is alot darker and looks odd in this rake.

Rob
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Re: B & C Mk1 coaches.

Postby brysonman46 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:44 am

To me this is very prototypical of the situation in the 50s and 60s. Carriages were not always cleaned overnight (or even every month!), so dirt was prevalent. The actual colour varied depending upon the carriage works in which they were last refurbished (the paint was supposed to be the same shade, but rarely was). The only gripe I have is that the finish on the "in game" carriages is the same overall, rather than in having varying degrees of dirt along the sides (quite often it was streaked due to the exhaust smoke/steam from the loco). The same complaint could be raised against the goods stock. The pristine coal wagons and goods vans seen on the heritage railways were only ever seen as they emerged from the builder's works. They just got dirtier and dirtier, were never cleaned apart from an occasional hose down, and any repair was done to the part affected (so the odd very clean plank was seen for a few months, that gradually blended in with the rest).

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby briyeo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

I don't think the shade of colour on the middle coach could be excused as a dirty or weathered Carmine and cream livery, as Robert says it just doesn't look right.
Gordon's portrayal of the livery is the best I have seen, DT told me in an answer to a question on their colours for the livery that they tried to match DTG's colours on Woodhead as it seemed the best option, but admitted they didn't think it was quite right, but that was about the Gresley coaches.
briyeo
Driver

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:51 pm

The red part of Crimson & Cream livery should be BS381C no. 540 Crimson, for anyone interested. The DT carriage on the right looks like the closest match to my eyes. If I was to recreate the livery in weathered or grubby condition, I would start with as close as historically correct base colours, perhaps lighten and desaturate the coachwork for paint fade, then spray and manipulate the brake rust and soot over the top on another layer or three rather than just applying darker base colours.

And to answer poor Rob's question :lol: , I would suggest the UKTS freeware packs that contain reskins of the DTG Mk1s in maroon and Crimson and cream (both the bloated Kuju models and the much, much better RSC/DTG ones). Those included with the Blue Peter addon also looked to have brighter textures than the woodhead/Falmouth/WVR variants from what I remember of looking at the product screenshots, so it might be worth looking there.

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby briyeo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Just out of interest, some photos I took at the Midland Railway Museum with thoughts of doing some repaints.

This is the middle coach in the above photo again.

A freshly restored coach at the museum
briyeo
Driver

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room