No user reviews?

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

No user reviews?

Postby sumitsingh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:33 pm

I was browing some DLC for next sale.
I found some DLC have no user reviews.
How strange?
Capture.JPG

Looking at this example of New York-New Haven Route released on April 2014.
Do DTG removes some/all reviews?
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Re: No user reviews?

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Publishers can't remove reviews unless they breach the rules.
I find there are a lack of reviews on most TS products, mine included. I think people tend to chat within the various rail sim communities rather than use Steam to express their opinions.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby AndiS » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:08 pm

With the myriad of platforms and items on each of them, it's no wonder not even the robots can keep up with the review spawning challenge.

Look up any railway book other than "Greatest Engines of X" and you either find no reviews or "I bought it as a gift for someone who likes railways". Plus some "great book" statements.

And it has been said that you can spend your time either typing or playing. Steam users seem to tend to playing.

Conspiracy theory of the day: Valve spam their users with so much free or trial content that the latter play evening after evening until they fall asleep and never manage to type all the warnings about the rubbish they wasted their time with yesterday.
Just because there must be a bad spin, because there always is one. If not, it is a fake and as such a proof that there is a bad spin behind everything.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm

To add to this, I often find reviews (user and magazines/websites) unhelpful. Beyond pointing out clear bugs in the software (I glitched through 2 walls and my gun ended up facing backwards!) everything else is VERY subjective.
Just because the reviewer loved it or hated it, I might not. It's useful to find a reviewer who tends to share your opinion on certain games and genres and stick to what they say - which in the current day and age is almost impossible in the vast arena of PC gaming.

On saying that even "bugs" are subjective. There is a review of our GT3 Gas Turbine which votes it negatively and after translation from the German we find this statement
The sound? HA .. or better HARHAR: /
The original was a howling monster .. certainly also inside "good" audible.

Here it is whisper quiet in the cab.
(today's train drivers will certainly be jealous)

"certainly" is the key word here. The product has been negatively voted down by this person because he expected the cab of the GT3 to be completely deafening and it isn't. However he clearly didn't read numerous technical documents and assessments from the time of the testing where it stated that the cab was "surprisingly quiet, in fact so much that a conversation could be held at a whisper with no interruption" and that this was due to exceptionally good padding in the wall between the cab and the turbine room. We read every single one of these documents, and despite our surprise at this fact, we built it correctly with a roaring outside sound set and very quiet in the cab. It is his assumption (and ours as well before we researched it) that is wrong, yet he has presented it here as fact and a reason the product is a failure.

So to paraphrase an old saying - Opinions are like backsides, everyone's got one and most of them stink :lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby sumitsingh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:39 pm

I think people tend to chat within the various rail sim communities rather than use Steam to express their opinions.

Ah. :roll:
A route released 4 years ago with no review. So strange.

I remember when I-phone SE was released in India with INR 35000, even non verified purchase Amazon user gave so negative ratings that over all it was 1.5 star. Just because of unexpected high price. So much hate on internet.
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:33 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:To add to this, I often find reviews (user and magazines/websites) unhelpful. Beyond pointing out clear bugs in the software (I glitched through 2 walls and my gun ended up facing backwards!) everything else is VERY subjective.
Just because the reviewer loved it or hated it, I might not. It's useful to find a reviewer who tends to share your opinion on certain games and genres and stick to what they say - which in the current day and age is almost impossible in the vast arena of PC gaming.

On saying that even "bugs" are subjective. There is a review of our GT3 Gas Turbine which votes it negatively and after translation from the German we find this statement
The sound? HA .. or better HARHAR: /
The original was a howling monster .. certainly also inside "good" audible.

Here it is whisper quiet in the cab.
(today's train drivers will certainly be jealous)

"certainly" is the key word here. The product has been negatively voted down by this person because he expected the cab of the GT3 to be completely deafening and it isn't. However he clearly didn't read numerous technical documents and assessments from the time of the testing where it stated that the cab was "surprisingly quiet, in fact so much that a conversation could be held at a whisper with no interruption" and that this was due to exceptionally good padding in the wall between the cab and the turbine room. We read every single one of these documents, and despite our surprise at this fact, we built it correctly with a roaring outside sound set and very quiet in the cab. It is his assumption (and ours as well before we researched it) that is wrong, yet he has presented it here as fact and a reason the product is a failure.

So to paraphrase an old saying - Opinions are like backsides, everyone's got one and most of them stink :lol:

I'm the sort of person that reads steam reviews, and 90% of them (strangely mostly negative reviews) are of people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. You not being able to read the manual isn't a bug.

I'd think the old NYC #999 would make a fine prototype for a DLC, but here's a question: are you going to set it up for 100+mph, or not? Either way one side of the ocean will foam at the mouth and write negative reviews :P.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room