Creating housing lofts

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Creating housing lofts

Postby brysonman46 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi

I am creating lofts of houses and other such buildings to ease the placement of such in housing estates (deplore the standard blocks a la Kuju!). I have done it with a number, and can easily adjust the distances between them. However, they do rely on the orientation of the target asset being aligned in a certain direction.
For example, the ones at the background are good, whilst the ones in the foreground are not!
Screenshot (1910).jpg

Is there some way of adding some lines in the generating bin file that will cause the asset to rotate 90degrees. I do not wish/nor am allowed to amend the blueprint file of any target asset, but have control of the XSec file which generates the loft

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Re: Creating housing lofts

Postby FoggyMorning » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:31 pm

It's something myself and a few others have investigated in the past, sadly with no success as far as I'm aware. IIRC the consensus was that the orientation is determined either at the model export stage or in the .geo file :(
FoggyMorning
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Nobkins » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 am

Ok this is going back a long time as I have not loaded the game for so many years. When I created the Mayflower Line I added some boat assets. I made these move by adding them as child objects to a default kuju train and putting some track underwater for them to run on. They became a train essentially.

Now I remember from that that you can orientate child objects use the 3x3 number grid (sorry can't think of it's name). So If you created a place holder object that was refereed by the loft. That place holder object itself could load the troublesome house as a child object but you would be free to rotate it etc without getting into the GeoPcDx file by adjusting the child object settings in the bin file (I think).

I hope that is enough to try it out as I am about 70% sure it works but I never tried it with lofts. I used it with other things though in the Freeware Packs.

Jim
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby brysonman46 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 am

Nobkins wrote:Ok this is going back a long time as I have not loaded the game for so many years. When I created the Mayflower Line I added some boat assets. I made these move by adding them as child objects to a default kuju train and putting some track underwater for them to run on. They became a train essentially.

Now I remember from that that you can orientate child objects use the 3x3 number grid (sorry can't think of it's name). So If you created a place holder object that was refereed by the loft. That place holder object itself could load the troublesome house as a child object but you would be free to rotate it etc without getting into the GeoPcDx file by adjusting the child object settings in the bin file (I think).

I hope that is enough to try it out as I am about 70% sure it works but I never tried it with lofts. I used it with other things though in the Freeware Packs.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, that sounds reasonable. I am now working on this with Gary Pedley (gptech), so will pass on this tip.

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room