Making Ambient sounds for scenarios

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Making Ambient sounds for scenarios

Postby JLWhitmore » Mon May 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Jonathan. I'm new here. Thank you for inviting me. I've been working with Steam Sound Supreme and Rob Ruutel on the updated, MHR.
It's going very well. I am currently making a War on the line event, but my scratch building can only do so much. What I want to do at the moment is to make my own ambients sounds and add it specifically to the scenario. But how does one do that? I hope I can get some help. Thank you for your time.

Jonathan
JLWhitmore
General Shed Duties

Re: Making Ambient sounds for scenarios

Postby AndiS » Tue May 19, 2020 7:06 am

Welcome!
I am not a sound expert, but my first call would be to find a promising blueprint in blueprint editor. There should be some called ambient sound, I guess.
I would search UKTS for "create sound" or "convert sound" if you need information on the input format of the sound. When you click "export", the blueprint editor takes the blueprint you edited plus those sound file, all located under Source and creates files under Assets.

If you never worked with the Blueprint Editor, be sure to first model a box or something and bring that into the game so you are familiar with the process. There are tons of instructions for scenery objects and there is little on sounds.

I would not be surprised you need to take two steps. On the lower level, there are files containing the actual sound waves. On top of that, there are files (blueprints) describing how the game should use the first ones.

Be sure to switch on the visualisation of sound domes in the route editor. That is the loud speaker symbol on the list of check marks that define what you see. Most people switch them off because they clutter the view but you do need them.

To allow the placement of a sound specifically for one scenario as opposed to the route which means it would show in all scenarios, you need to set "valid in scenarios" to yes or true. In World Editor, be sure to first go to Scenario Editor mode and then place your sound. Then it will only exist in that scenario.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby JLWhitmore » Wed May 20, 2020 10:26 am

Thank you for your help. Very helpful. Keep well.
JLWhitmore
General Shed Duties

Postby JLWhitmore » Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 am

I'm having trouble with the blueprint. It keeps saying invalid source path. I hope there's a way to fix this?
Jonathan
JLWhitmore
General Shed Duties

Postby AndiS » Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 am

So ... what is your source path?

P.S.: You know this source of information?
https://sites.google.com/a/railsimdev.c ... ce-manual/

Of most interest:
Provider & Product Setup
Audio
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Auscgu » Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 am

Jonathan.
You might want to be a bit more explicit as to what the issue is.
I have seen this error when trying to path to path with the blueprint editor.
I am with Andis have not had much sound experience so not exactly sure what your trying to achieve.

I assume your using BlueprintEditor2.exe
You have worked out how to create a blueprint going to your source directory and adding the correct blueprint type.
Once you have the .xml file then pathing objects is best done through the blueprint explorer panel.
I.E.
To add Geometry ID you put the mouse on the .igs file in Blueprint Explorer and right click.
This allows your to copy the path, then paste into the relevant field in the blueprint editor.
Foe some reason this creates a link and works.
I have tried and identical path from my working folders and you see the issue you describe.

I do apologies if I am missing the issue.
Andis has provided you the relevant info to ensure your Source folder and paths are correct.
Another issue if you are exporting then to ensure the export is linking to the correct files in the source folder.
I find using the source folder to link will solve a lot of these issues.
I.E. Using Blender.
Link the textures from the source folder will have them pathed correctly when exported.

Cheers Ausc
Auscgu
Passed Fireman

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room