Elite Dangerous TSD clan

Everything to do with Elite Dangerous the latest in the genera defining series of space games.

Re: Elite Dangerous TSD clan

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu May 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Ah the joys of docking! I remember it well. I'm pretty sure it differed a lot from version to version as well.

Commodore 64 and BBC - damn difficult, a few pixels out and you were toast
Amstrad CPC (what I had) - a little more forgiving, but your first purchase was still always a docking computer
Spectrum - throw it in sideways, it'll be fine! :D

Slightly off topic of the thread, but I remember when getting in early meant you got a cheap price for, a) helping the developers and b) getting to help test a buggy, half finished mess. I got Mount & Blade (the original) for about £5 when it was being developed, and the cost slowly went up to full price the later in the process that you bought it.
Since when did paying 5 times the price to help test a buggy, half finished mess become the norm?! It's taking the impatience of gamers to a whole new level.. and then cashing in on it, big style.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby JasonM » Thu May 01, 2014 6:43 pm

I used to play Elite on the BBC micro, used to love the sound when jumping through hyperspace, it was so exctiting trying to dock but like has been said not that easy.
I never really got into it fully but will be keeping an eye on this.
JasonM
Full Time Fireman

Postby Wikkus » Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 pm

When EVE (the original game) first came along ten-and-a-bit years ago, it did a reasonable job at filling the hole that Elite had left behind for me and I played for about five years, albeit in safe space. Where it fell down was the lack of first-person experience. They sort of tried it a while back but it flopped massively and lost a lot of the player base (ironically, myself included) and whilst I've kept an eye on it since, have only once been tempted back and then only briefly.

I found that I'm not dull enough (quiet at the back) to put the effort into the trading aspect to make money to do what I want, but also not hard enough (easy...) to go hardcore PvP and be a pirate, bounty-hunter, privateer. There's a middle way which is to join a corporation and get them to sponsor you, but I don't like the whole organised play thing, so to cut this short, I stopped again.

Anyway, what's that got to do with Elite? Well, not to muddy the waters at all, but I just watched the CCP Fanfest 2014 Keynote for EVE: Valkyrie. It has Katee Sackhoff doing the voice of the core system! I'd buy it just for that. Oh, and the gameplay does look awesome... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/v/M1KtdwzXRxA

Discuss :D

Rik.
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby BigVern » Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 am

Not normally into MP but this might be worth a look.

Didn't back the crowd fund as, at the time, emphasis was pretty much on the MP element with little or no reference to the single player game (if any). Also still never forget buying Frontier First Encounters, what a disaster that was - first time I ever had a game crash out to hex code on the screen and the patch didn't help.

On the positive side, I spent many hours in the original Frontier, first on the Amiga then the PC. Was totally addictive - who remembers the assassination missions where you had to painstakingly orbit the planet looking for a little dot, if the gravity didn't get you first! Docking in Frontier was a bit easier as you could accelerate time on autopilot and you were just...there.

Hopefully the universe will be as big as the previous version and based on correct orbital mechanics, unlike the X games where you feel as if each system is just a large room bounded by the jump gates.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Postby Nobkins » Wed May 28, 2014 8:27 am

It is very big indeed and I believe based on correct information. I'll try to find a video.

Video from the developers talking about the latest alpha release with info on how the universe is modelled etc:
http://www.youtube.com/v/TGf9OPot8Sc

Some videos showing basic info:
http://www.youtube.com/v/OFcxygJfERY

How the time acceleration drives work. A very good compromise between game play and realism I think:
http://www.youtube.com/v/p7K9Rl7fRjc

And another:
http://www.youtube.com/v/q04axMTIIO8
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Dave Fennessy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 am

I played this on the ZX Spectrum and was pretty much obsessed with it. Ever since I've thought it would be nice to re-visit the game in full modern flavour. I've tried other games like Freelancer and X3 and got a buzz off them but nothing more. I guess what I am really hoping for is for Dangerous to do what X-Com did for the original, keep all the juice and pile on the goodness!
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby Nobkins » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:24 pm

I got access to the beta on the 29th July and I am really impressed with it. I would definitely recommend giving it a go!

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby JasonM » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Well I took the plunge and got the Beta on the 29th.
Really enjoying it so far, still learning as I plod around though.
Using the DIY head tracker, it's working really well and improves the game no end, just waiting for my Hotas X joystick later in the month(birthday prezzie).
I have a good name in game- Commander Crompton.
JasonM
Full Time Fireman

Postby Nobkins » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Great stuff commander crompton. I am having to build a new computer to be able to fully enjoy the game. I was thinking of getting a joystick. Any recommendations along with prices etc. Would be great. Thinking of sacrificing a little of my pc spec to make allowance for a good joystick.
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby JasonM » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:42 pm

I ordered the following from Amazon, it's arrived but the wife might not let me have it yet :cry: (though might have to check it works) ;)
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/tflight-hotas-x
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Joystick-PS3/dp/B001CXYMFS
I notice the price has gone up nearly £10 since it was ordered last week.
JasonM
Full Time Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to Elite Dangerous