Model Railway Plan Search

Model Railway Plan Search

Postby BigVern » Sat May 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Does anyone know where I can find on line (and free) track plans for the following "famous" model railways:-

Chiltern Green/Luton Hoo
Heckmondwike
Ledmore Junction
The Pendon layouts (the track plans aren't on the official site).

I have become increasingly fascinated with the concept of turning a model railway/railroad into a workable and driveable simulator version. It's quite interesting to see a 2D plan spring off the page and become a reality without having to spend £1,000s on OO or N gauge kit. It removes one of the biggest time consuming parts of filling out a prototype linear route with terrain paint and buildings to what you feel is a reasonable horizon. I've already done one for Trainz (some of you may have seen the threads re Model Railroadz on the N3V forums) but as always with Trainz it lacks the essential ingredient - the feel of a proper operational railway. So I hope to attempt the next project in TS2014, MSTS is no good as it doesn't support closed loops of track.

The idea is to start with something simple before trying to replicate a Kalmbach behemoth or the Sierra Pacific Lines. Some compromise is necessary - notably a bit of stretching to ease curvature &c - I have seen it noted on some model railway forums that some of the late CJ Freezer's track plans were in fact unworkable using standard Peco Streamline points.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: Model Railway Plan Search

Postby rivimey » Sun May 04, 2014 12:04 am

The Heckmondwyke model was one of the first P4 ones and as such was covered extensively at the time. See http://www.norgrove.me.uk/P4-articles.html and in particular 'Model Railways' of Dec 1974 and Railway Modeller of April 1976

Sources such as http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/railw ... issue.html will be able to supply copies, or you could see if the local library can obtain copies on inter-library loan.

There are at least two models of Ledmore Jn; I expect you mean the one created by Oxford MRC, but I can't see any helpful sources. Perhaps Oxford MRC themselves can help?
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Model Railway Plan Search

Postby BigVern » Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks Ruth, I will scour Ebay for the relevant issues, usually can be picked up for pennies.

Unfortunately the guy at work who had most of the RM back issues right back to the 70's retired earlier this year.

Model railway plans seem to be one of the last bastions of resistance when it comes to finding information on line.

You are correct re Ledmore, the more recent one seems to be the larger layout. Of course, the concept could be applied to a "fictional" route set in the real location (I did once get as far as laying out trackwork in Trainz for the proposed Garve to Ullapool railway, but sadly never made it beyond that stage).
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Return to Reference Material