OS Maps

OS Maps

Postby longbow » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am

The site http://www.old-maps.co.uk has large scale OS maps going back more than a century for what appears to be the entire UK. The OS 1:2500 series are the ones to go for as these show track plans, mileposts, signal posts and benchmark heights. I turn these into terrain decals for route building.

You can order A4 prints which in 1:2500 scale will get you a mid-sized station. However a month's subscription costs less and gets you access to everything. There's no facility to print but nothing to stop screengrabs.
longbow
General Shed Duties

Re: OS Maps

Postby Pauls » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:57 am

longbow wrote:The site http://www.old-maps.co.uk has large scale OS maps going back more than a century for what appears to be the entire UK. The OS 1:2500 series are the ones to go for as these show track plans, mileposts, signal posts and benchmark heights. I turn these into terrain decals for route building.

You can order A4 prints which in 1:2500 scale will get you a mid-sized station. However a month's subscription costs less and gets you access to everything. There's no facility to print but nothing to stop screengrabs.

I found the months subscription very good value since I could spend some time grabbing all of the images that I needed.

Highly recommended !

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Llew Bach » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:43 am

Sorry to be a complete nerd but I was just about to pay for a month's subscription to Oldmaps uk via PayPal but it seemed that I would have to pay £9.99 each month until I cancelled my subscription. I'm a bit wary of this but I'm sure the process is safe - can you confirm that you encountered no problems in cancelling after you had made your first payment of £9.99?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Llew
Llew Bach
Engine Cleaner

Postby Pauls » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:11 am

Llew Bach wrote:Sorry to be a complete nerd but I was just about to pay for a month's subscription to Oldmaps uk via PayPal but it seemed that I would have to pay £9.99 each month until I cancelled my subscription. I'm a bit wary of this but I'm sure the process is safe - can you confirm that you encountered no problems in cancelling after you had made your first payment of £9.99?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Llew

Sorry for the slow reply LLew I only just spotted this.

I can confirm that there were no problems.

I only intended using the service for a month but it was so good I kept it going for three months and made the effort to download a lot of stuff for the future.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Llew Bach » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for your helpful reply. I'll go ahead now with a month's subscription to this site. It'll be a great help to me with route building in the post war steam era.

Best wishes

Llew
Llew Bach
Engine Cleaner

Postby Pauls » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi,

I found establishing an exact zoom was difficult - so I used the Old Maps watermark to scale each screenshot to the same scale - when you've done all of your screenshots it is then easy to re-size each to the correct scale as required from known distances on modern maps using just one multiplier applied to each - sounds complex is easy and hopefully makes sense ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby AndiS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm

I found it helpful to force myself to do the same number of zoom steps every time. So I ended up with only about 4 different scales for some 50+ screenshots. :roll:
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Pauls » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:05 am

AndiS wrote:I found it helpful to force myself to do the same number of zoom steps every time. So I ended up with only about 4 different scales for some 50+ screenshots. :roll:

I couldn't reliably get a particular zoom - I wonder if there is a way of being consistent ? - it would save quite a bit of work.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Pauls » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 am

AndiS wrote:I found it helpful to force myself to do the same number of zoom steps every time. So I ended up with only about 4 different scales for some 50+ screenshots. :roll:

You did well - and of course you can easily put them into groups of 4 for re-scaling ? :lol: - one of the many untold joys of Railworks ! :)

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby AndiS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:32 am

I forgot how I did it, but I guess it had to do with the notches/snaps on the mouse wheel.

I may be wrong altogether, but it could be that you zoom in there using the mouse wheel while holding Ctrl, as in many programs nowadays. I use a cheap Microsoft mouse where the wheel position snaps to certain positions. That's how you can make zooming repeatable.

Question is: Am I talking about the wrong piece of software? Don't have access now to try, and I have to stay far from such time holes at the moment - you know what they did to me in the past. :twisted:
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Return to Reference Material