DTG Acquire FSX

Talk about Flight Simulators!

DTG Acquire FSX

Postby BigVern » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 am

Surprised no one has started a topic on this, so here goes!

Personally I think it could be a good move, providing the existing (DVD-ROM) customer base is addressed carefully. I would pay a small supplement to upgrade to the Steam version.

The possible downside to Steam distribution is that FSX is a highly customisable title and a "Restore Cache" could play havoc with personal installs, such as FScene terrain updates etc.

Also FSX is becoming very temperamental on modern hardware, maybe less so with Nvidia than ATI cards, so DTG could have their work cut out as regards tech support unless they can hammer some updates into the code base.

Certainly seems our favourite train sim company is branching out into wider transport simulation, which can only be a good thing for our hobby.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: DTG Acquire FSX

Postby briyeo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 pm

What form do you think the DTG FSX will take? Could it be a locked down Steam version that controls the content that can be used. I do sometimes wonder if there is a conflict between what DTG would want of a simulator and what the usual end user wants of the simulator, namely community mods and 3rd party content.

Rise of Flight recently moved to Steam but I think it operates as a separate game to the original version, to be involved in the Steam Rise of Flight you had to buy the game again, potentially splitting the user base.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Stone75 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Does DTG have the right to alter the code or are they simply distributing it through steam ? I know Prepar3d has moved it forward some including the all important cloud cast shadows and was looking to possibly move across to this version as it is at least moving forward. Downside is the ad-dons, I don't think all work with it but some of the best do. God knows we really could do with a built from the ground up new flightsim but apart from some hints from aerosoft a few years back, not seen much. 777 studios have IL-2 now and very much looking forward to the new Il-2 Stalingrad. ROF is excellent but I really am not into stringbag combat. Best sim ever created...Falcon 4.0! 2 months learning every system then went to war :geek:

Still, be interesting to see what if anything they do with it. Seen a lot of old garbage pushed onto steam lately for a quick hit of cash. I hope FSX does not just get pushed out in its raw form or many will be disappointed. Takes a few good addons to make FSX look right !

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby briyeo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am

I had the most fun I have ever had on a computer with the IL2 Sturmovik series, even joining on online squadron. Not one of the more serious squads though, we were just in it for the fun ;) . Still have a modded version of 1946 on the PC for old times sake.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Stone75 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Modded version of Il-2 cliffs of dover is supposed to be up there with the best too. Never got around to playing it but holding off for Stalingrad now. Soon be time to dig out the thrustmaster x52 :D

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby briyeo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 pm

I have Cliffs of Dover too Steve, but with a limit to my time spent on computer stuff everything has been rather overlooked in favour of railways and 3D models.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Chris Baker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 am

I recently picked up Cliffs of dover . There's a Mod for it that i added. Its a very good sim. But im to scared too go online with it. You really need head tracking or you will get shot to shit.
I love flying the Hurri and Blenheim though.

Also im to busy with 3d models lol. There addictive aren't they :)
Chris Baker
Passed Fireman

Postby Stone75 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Occulus Rift i'm looking forward to. Why track a head when you can stick your head in the game :D Just hope I don't fall off my chair in a loop :?

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby briyeo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:46 pm

I better get on and patch my CoD, I wasn't even aware there was any ;) I have been watching the Stalingrad progress though.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Chris Baker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Its called the Team fusion mod Brian . It fixes and improves alot of things the devs wouldn't do .

Find it here http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100&s=8098e7bf5bbf6ed22281a66d910964e5

Chris
Chris Baker
Passed Fireman

Next

Return to Flight Simulators