War Thunder - Tanks

Anything related to World of Tanks or the Warthunder games

War Thunder - Tanks

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I keep seeing snippets of info about these but does anyone know if they're actually in the live game yet or is it just testing?
I used to play WoT but got tired of it around Tier 8 (and because my Jagdpanther was never as good as the real ones!) but I rather fancy trying War Thunder's take on armoured warfare. However having wasted many, many Spitfires and Hurricanes in World War 2 Online I know I'm never going to be a pilot of any kind so there's not much point in me signing up until I can stay firmly on the ground!
VictoryWorks
Driver

Re: War Thunder - Tanks

Postby Chris89 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm

I think it might becoming open soon. I know my brother has been playing it and it does look rather good with tanks and aircraft at the same time.

Worthwhile trying the aircraft bit out, arcade is good fun and so is simulation mode. I myself though haven't played it for a while and my highest tiered aircraft are British at L7 i think.

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby DominusEdwardius » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:51 pm

It's currently in closed beta, but I'd expect open beta quite soon. Ahhh WW2 online now that's a blast from the past! From what I've seen Ground forces looks excellent and I really cannot wait for it :)
regards
Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Further to this, nice write up on RPS of the closed beta http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04 ... osed-beta/
Looks like it should be good.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Wikkus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Hello chaps,

As an aerial combatant in WT and a refugee from WoT, I actually find myself looking forward to blowing the bejesus out of players in ground vehicles in my Typhoon :D

To that end, whilst they're still officially in CBT, they just last week rolled out "Events" for tankers on the Live server which does indeed suggest we're getting close to the two worlds colliding :)

Personally, I have to say that I truly hated the mouse control and "arcade" mode as it all felt utterly wrong having flown combat flight sims with HOTAS for so many years, but appreciate that for peeps who've no such affliction it's a way in without spending a ton of money on kit.

Hard-core as I considered myself when it comes to flight-sims, I have to say "simulation" mode in WT is several magnitudes of difficulty higher than even I find a challenging pleasure; having to trim the aircraft, manage prop and mixture settings, cowl-flaps, rad-flaps and so much else as well as being able to tell whether that tiny dot on your screen is an enemy fighter or something that's simply a tiny dot on your screen that needs wiping off with a damp cloth is not conducive to keeping me sane.

I tend therefore to play on the "realistic" setting which has a few concessions to reduce the workload whilst retaining some decent realistic physics but with a few "pilot aids" too.

Feel free to add me, my call-sign is, unusually, not "Wikkus", but "SpankyMcWeasel" :D

Here's me having my Mitsubishi A6M2N turned into Swiss Cheese by a Canadian bloke in a Spitfire IIb. I was actually starting to enjoy myself when he came along and ruined my day, not simply by raking my lumbering "Zero with a canoe" with cannon and machine-gun fire, but by then t-boning me and not having the decency to crash. Swine.

Rik.
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:47 am

Like many things, I am terrible at this game, but it does entertain me to witness accidental collisions such as the imminent one in the screenshot above. :D

Loving the avatar by the way, Rik - I'm easily amused. 8-)

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Wikkus » Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

It's now live in OBT, chaps! :D

http://www.youtube.com/v/T8NS1iVmwY0

Rik.
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby MikeTrams » Thu May 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Awesome! Wish they'd do infantry to!

Cheers,
Mike
MikeTrams
General Shed Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu May 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Cheers, downloading now :)
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Chris89 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:24 pm

MikeTrams wrote:Awesome! Wish they'd do infantry to!

Cheers,
Mike

Get ARMA Cold War (Operation Flashpoint 1) Since currently free on steam Or discounted ARMA 2, 3 (All on sale)

Got to give WT a go again though.
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Next

Return to World of Tanks and Warthunder