War Thunder - Tanks

Anything related to World of Tanks or the Warthunder games

Re: War Thunder - Tanks

Postby Crumplezone » Thu May 22, 2014 8:16 pm

I bought into the closed beta (I know, booo hiissss) but I wanted a idea of what ground forces wanted to establish itself as. Abit of background, I'm a ex-WoT player who was pretty high up there on statistics. I played most of the time as a unicum (this is a term for players who calc'ed up statistics are equivilent to the top 20% of the playerbase) and I had most of the tanks. Thankfully I wasn't one of the unicum type players who is a complete arse to the rest of his team so I just played for fun but the quality of teamwork pretty much dropped from last summer onwards and I ended up quitting just prior to the 9.0 patch and 9.0 sealed the deal with its poor performance.

So ground forces and warthunder in general. I've played warthunder before on the aircraft side and I do really enjoy that as it reminds me of the old microsoft combat flight simulator which I played to utter death (4 broken sidewinder joysticks attest to this feat) and really enjoyed dogfighting aswell as bomber activity. I've recently come back to the aircraft side after doing the CBT of Ground forces as quite frankly I got a bit burnt out after playing so much ground forces.

I'm going to be strictly talking from the realistic battles and simulator battle point of view for ground forces as I found arcade mode chronically easy to play. Ground forces I find is quite fun, abeit quite intensive at times. What GF does better than WoT I find is the historicial varients of the tanks aswell as accuracy in general, as for example the Tiger and its long 88mm is actually the feared monster gun it was in world war 2. It also is a slow lumbering bethemoth in GF and feels like a heavy tank. Equivilent in WoT is a 6sec firing 88mm armed combustable tank which feels like a med rather than the iconic tiger tank.

In general the aspects of ground forces playstyle and gameplay is infinitely more enjoying to me from a game/simulation standpoint as you require to learn the gun scope when aiming at long ranges in both realistic and simulator battles and you have to know where to shoot. There is a strict difference in combat tactics between WoT vs GF. WoT consists of de-tracking a enemy tank to kill him easier, in ground forces the better option is to aim for the turret and hope for ammo rack but most times get the guranteed gunner, reloader and damage to the gun/horizontal stablizers. This is where I really do enjoy GF over WoT.

Tactically speaking you have to use your head when your driving the tank and its not just a matter of ramming a enemy tank and doing aload of damage like in WoT. Ground forces is if you ram a tank at speed, expect your tranmission to be blown out your arse and your track half way across the field aswell potentially being set on fire by the impact (yes I've had this happen in a t-50 ram) with another tank. Another factor is angling the amour, in ground forces a 45 degree angle will constitute to invinciblity which was dubbed the "tiger stance" by the germans when they utilised it with the Tiger. WoT on the other hand has that but a thing called "sidescrapping" which is where you angle at around a 30 degree angle with your front on a solid object and poke out backward and take pop shots but bounce or be de-tracked in return with no damage.

Realism and tank characteristics are also heaven and earth type of difference between the two titles. Every tank in Ground forces bar the tier 1s is useful and a threat to you, same can't be said for WoT you wouldn't have a tier 3 tank killing a tier 10 Maus for example, but if the equivilent was in GF a tier 2 t-34 could potentially kill the Maus's crew with HE rounds. Driving the tanks is also more about gearing and torque rather than performance supercars which WoT consists of. The meaty weight to tanks and the fact they feel metallic rather than RC models gives ground forces another enjoyment factor (ignoring arcade mode's drifting tanks)

Teamwork: In ground forces I'm surprised to just see how much better it is, granted you still get the donkeys who absolutely don't know what they are doing but not as bad as WoT where 14 out of 15 players can be so stupid you question if they are bots or just window licking their way to victory.

---

Aircraft side of Warthunder I've come back to with quite abit of progress more lately. I've moved into the german, US and got abit deeper into the Brit line and have most in tier 3 now bar the german tree which is a mix of tier 2 and 3. I have to say it feels alot more different since they changed the ranking and how vehicles parts ar researched out. Its certainly stretches out the grind but at the same time it gives abit of sense of achievement when you are done with a aircraft. One thing I do miss however from WoT in this regards is cross vehicle weapons being researched and then being usable on the next as you can end up researching the same weapons again on the next aicraft even though the only real difference is a new turret or new pair of machine guns.

If anyone is interested, I follow a fella by the name of MightyJingles on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnjlv ... JuGNo_TxkQ he covers WT and WoT but he speaks from the point of a average player point of view, he's somewhat that type of uncle/grandpa you always wanted and is ex-Royal Navy and if your interested in stories his mingles with jingles are worth watching/listening to aswell. He gives a good account of both games and his warthunder GF videos are quite entertaining, especially the KV-2 ones.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby Wikkus » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Fret ye not, War Thunder isn't inundated with mindless, whining, buttheads. Yet.
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby DominusEdwardius » Thu May 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Mwuhahah

I love this tank, those pesky T-50s can't even dent me ( unless they really try :D )!
regards
Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu May 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Very nice. I'm working my way to my beloved Jagdpanther.. half way to the Jagdpanzer IV/70 at the moment.. but of course I need to unlock 6 tanks from Tier 3 to get Tier 4 so I'll do the Tiger as well.
Shame the default colour scheme is desert when the closest any map gets to sand is the beach in Jungle!
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Wikkus » Fri May 30, 2014 12:09 am

If I had a better PC, I might have bothered, but as it is, there's little point. I only started WoT to get the Tiger, which I achieved without resorting to gold (and then on to the KT, too) but as has been recognised already, that game is too broken balance-wise and I stopped playing months ago. Seems that I can't get my joystick calibrated right on WT to be able to accurately control the aircraft any more either, so I may just lob my computer over the balcony...
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby Tankski » Fri May 30, 2014 10:30 am

Wikkus wrote:If I had a better PC, I might have bothered, but as it is, there's little point. I only started WoT to get the Tiger, which I achieved without resorting to gold (and then on to the KT, too) but as has been recognised already, that game is too broken balance-wise and I stopped playing months ago. Seems that I can't get my joystick calibrated right on WT to be able to accurately control the aircraft any more either, so I may just lob my computer over the balcony...

The Tiger and Tiger 2 were rebalanced a while back and the Tiger is now one of the best tier 7 heavies, fyi.
Tankski
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:06 am

DominusEdwardius wrote:Mwuhahah

I love this tank, those pesky T-50s can't even dent me ( unless they really try :D )!
regards
Edward

That's quite a beautiful model to behold, I'd be quite happy to just sit and look at that for ages.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri May 30, 2014 11:33 am

cjbarnes5294 wrote:That's quite a beautiful model to behold, I'd be quite happy to just sit and look at that for ages.

I have been known to do just that :oops:
They are all very good looking. The people who have made them are very talented at creating the effect of 3D using textures and maps - some of the welded seams and dirt truly look like they are modelled in 3D until you move the camera on purpose to look along the surface and see that it's actually flat.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:00 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:
cjbarnes5294 wrote:That's quite a beautiful model to behold, I'd be quite happy to just sit and look at that for ages.

I have been known to do just that :oops:
They are all very good looking. The people who have made them are very talented at creating the effect of 3D using textures and maps - some of the welded seams and dirt truly look like they are modelled in 3D until you move the camera on purpose to look along the surface and see that it's actually flat.

There is of course the risk of our admiration for the tanks being rudely interrupted by a shell to the ammo rack, but meh. :lol:

I understand that the AAA games industry artists may make super models of CGI quality, with a million polies or so, create the highly detailed bake and bump map, then replace the model with a much lower poly one whilst retaining the high poly model's textures and maps. A couple of examples that stick in my mind are the Master Chief character model in Halo, or Altair's robes in Assassins Creed - as you say, when you look up close you can see the not so pretty low poly mesh, but at the targeted viewing distance it looks very effective. Perhaps this is how the WT tanks were made, as they really do look spectacular.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Sat May 31, 2014 6:31 pm

I thought it be amusing to troll people in the after kill black and white KILL-CAM with my Hertzer.

Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to World of Tanks and Warthunder