War Thunder - Tanks

Anything related to World of Tanks or the Warthunder games

Re: War Thunder - Tanks

Postby DominusEdwardius » Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Have any of you chaps played it yet, my personal experience of it has been pretty good but there have been a few issues which do make me quite grumpy at times, like getting spammed by artillery strikes, or invincible T-50s or getting one shot at a long distance well outside my effect range by T-50s :D But other than that been quite enjoyable.
regards
Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby Chris89 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:58 pm

DominusEdwardius wrote:Have any of you chaps played it yet, my personal experience of it has been pretty good but there have been a few issues which do make me quite grumpy at times, like getting spammed by artillery strikes, or invincible T-50s or getting one shot at a long distance well outside my effect range by T-50s :D But other than that been quite enjoyable.
regards
Edward

Watched my brother play it a lot and he is having great fun with it. I have to get War Thunder updated though, but would like to see British tanks added more though. Need a Sherman Firefly (British mod with 17pounder Anti Tank gun fitted) and normal Cromwells, Churchills etc.
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby Wikkus » Wed May 21, 2014 10:24 pm

I've had a little play in Test Drive and it's a damned sight more realistic than World of Tanks particularly in respect to weapon usage and driving, e.g. allowing for ballistic drop, shifting gears, etc., however, I'm getting very poor framerates on my aging system. I can get them to improve by turning the detail down (grass really eats cycles), but I'm more into the aerial side of things anyway.

As to artillery and the British tree, there is no arty (at least player controlled) in WT at present, nor is there a T-50, whilst the British tree has yet to be launched for public testing. Sure you're not getting mixed up with WoT?

Rik.
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby DominusEdwardius » Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 pm

T-50 is bellow the BT-7 on the Russian tech tree :)
regards
Edward
Regards Edward

DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby Wikkus » Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Coo, yes, so it is :-) My bad :-D

Also seem to be a lot of people complaining about it, haha!
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am

I've been loving it. Finally got myself out of Tier 1 with the Stug III F but not had a chance to drive it yet.
Playing in Sim mode (not even tried the other 2) and I've found a few oddities - the T-50 is indeed very very strong. I'm also baffled how my upgraded "pay for in lions" ammo on the Stug III A which allegedly has 84mm of penetration can bounce 5 shots in a row off of a tank with 45mm of armour. I'm aware that angle also has an effect, but this happens WAY too much and yesterday I had 2 shots in the arse of a T-50 at < 20m bounce off at which point he turns round and 1 shots me in the front :x

Artillery isn't too bad as long as you stay mobile and choose the right times to move - i.e. when you've garnered too much attention. It looks like light tanks pretty much phase out at Tier 2 so I guess the higher level matches won't have it anyway.

Barring this stuff, I'm really loving it - much more WW2 Online than WoT which is what I wanted. Working my way to my beloved Jadgpanther (I have a 1/8 scale RC one with all the trimmings) but would also love the British tree to not be too far behind - Achilles would be my tank of choice on that one, a US M10 Wolverine but up-gunned with the Brit 17 pounder.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Wikkus » Thu May 22, 2014 8:31 am

Is the AI arty really lethal then?
Wikkus
General Shed Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu May 22, 2014 9:37 am

I've been killed by it a few times - it's more a nuisance in that it can de-track you (which is as good as death in a tank destroyer with it's fixed gun) and throws up a crap storm of smoke and particles obscuring your view.
I wouldn't consider it game breaking or over powered. It's not as annoying as player arty in WoT!
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby DominusEdwardius » Thu May 22, 2014 11:24 am

It's not so bad now that it has been nerfed quite heavily but in simulator battles it can still be used as a bit of a exploit to see over obstacles with the drone view kinda thing. Before it was nerfed it was painful playing my Pz IV C, I'd just get to an ambush when i heard "Arty is in your square" and then almost instantly explode, it was rather annoying to say the least :)

Tell me about it, but at least the Stug A has armour, my Pz IV C had no armour and so was getting one shot at range by T-50s before I could even attempt to range in on him :) I am looking forward to having more tech trees, like you my weapon of choice would probably be either the Achilles, Firefly or Matilda ( just because of the armour on that thing :) )

regards
Edward
Regards Edward

DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am

VictoryWorks wrote:I've been killed by it a few times - it's more a nuisance in that it can de-track you (which is as good as death in a tank destroyer with it's fixed gun) and throws up a crap storm of smoke and particles obscuring your view.
I wouldn't consider it game breaking or over powered. It's not as annoying as player arty in WoT!

Hear, hear! Nothing more satisfying than destroying the bastards... Only last week, I was on a role with 4 kills in my Jag Pz 4, with only an AFK tank and one arty left with me to take down the last enemy tank - an arty. Bugger me, the blighter copped me blindly whilst I was on the move, grr. We lost the game. :( Good ol' WoT..

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to World of Tanks and Warthunder