T:ANE Pre-order Now Available

Re: T:ANE Pre-order Now Available

Postby BigVern » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:08 am

Quick update for those not following the various Trainz forums...

N3V released their "Community Edition" last week with the caveat that it's not the finished version. That proved to be the understatement of the century and without venturing into negative territory, let's just say I don't think DTG have much to worry about. With two months until the full release, I seriously doubt they will be anywhere near where they projected they would be. Many of the key features such as superelevation are bumped even further back to some time next year, in one of a series of patches.

At this point I've cancelled my pre-order and asked for my money back - waiting to see what happens on that one.

TS2010 and TS12 are still the best versions of Trainz.

For a comparison of where TANE is vs TS2015, go to Page 22 of this thread at TS: http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread ... ed-To-2015 and look at the comparative screenshots I posted at Kings Cross.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Postby DPSimulation » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:09 am

I'm not sure what to make of those comparison shots Vern, if it had been posted by someone I didn't know, I'd assume they were joking!
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby BigVern » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:50 pm

The problem with N3V unfortunately seems to be they see themselves as provider of the core and rely 99.5% on users to supply content - including what ships in game. Unfortunately even without the underlying shortfall from their target and the "not quite finished" status, they need to be managing that aspect far more proactively. The ECML per se in Trainz is a magnificent achievement, but it has always been a bit flawed and showing its age. To just plonk it down in a new game engine and hope for the best... and that old Deltic cab, yuk - MSTS has better Deltic cabs than that.

Of the other three routes in the basic edition, the Hinton coal route seemed as big a performance hog as the Appalachian route in TS12 and the Australian route apart from a bit of procedural flora looked okayish but still very Trainzy, until rounding a corner and finding a collapsed in tunnel - should never have a public release in that state. The fourth route, Kickstarter County I haven't looked at and TANE CE is now uninstalled, in anticipation of getting a full refund on my boxed edition order.

If N3V can somehow pull a rabbit out the hat then I may reconsider and order again next year or when it's heavily discounted but the brutal conclusion has to be, they've taken a fine opportunity afforded by the Kickstarter and sprayed yellow waste body product up a rather large brick structure.
BigVern
Driver

Postby DominusEdwardius » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:18 pm

I think one of the problems T:ANE is going to have is the name, it can't really be described as a new era if things from the old era make up the vast majority of content. To me although I haven't played it, it would seem T:ANE is just a slightly larger scale iterative game like say Tz2010 to Tz2012 rather than a complete new game, something I think DTG may well be on their way to achieving with their upgrade to unreal. Only time will tell I suppose

regards
Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby BigVern » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 am

In truth Edward, I've been looking at more screenshots people have been posting on the N3V forum of TS12 routes in TANE and it looks...exactly like TS12. As noted, I know there are more shaders etc. to be added but as you say it's hardly the graphical revolution UE4 promises to be for DTG (which already looks miles better than Trainz anyway).

The main thing that keeps me using Trainz (well TS12 or TS2010) is the ease of route building in Surveyor combined with Transdem over the other sims.
BigVern
Driver

Postby AndiS » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 am

Personally, I would wait a bit with my judgement. For all I gathered, they "only" promised core improvements, not new content. Those are what is needed to keep the whole project going, considering that the core dates back to 2000 or so. That's ages in terms of software.

Remember when RW introduced rain on the wind shield and people found out that old assets don't have that. You needed to modify the asset and RSC/RSDL only it for some and not as fast as people desired etc.etc.etc. For freeware, it will take even longer until a considerable part of the more recent assets is converted.

We owe Trainz some interesting insight into the nature of train simming as a whole. You can still use assets created in 2004 or 2006, or even before that. But do you want to? There was this vision of recreating the planet in Trainz. Now we find out that you have to redo the whole planet every 5 or 10 years. Even if you are not forced by compatibility cuts, you still want to do it for the better looks.

This experiment permits even more insight when you look at this renewal process. Given "the planet" was modelled by 2005, how much of that will be redone in 2015, to 2015's standards? (whatever these standards be).

There was so much emotion about the rough switch from MSTS to KRS/RW and there will be the same amount of emotions when people find out that the Unreal thing will not be too compatible. (I hope for total incompatibility with AI, physics, signalling and track geometry.) In the Trainz world, you have relatively smooth transitions, but still your asset stock looses value each year, due to technical progress and increases in expectations.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby BigVern » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:16 pm

There was so much emotion about the rough switch from MSTS to KRS/RW and there will be the same amount of emotions when people find out that the Unreal thing will not be too compatible. (I hope for total incompatibility with AI, physics, signalling and track geometry.)

One of the reasons I'm pretty much holding off starting anything for TS2015, pending more information on this aspect.

Interestingly, N3V originally said, "If it works in TS12, it will work in TANE", but that hasn't been the case - not least third party Speedtrees which require to be remade with the latest version of the creation software, not cheap by all accounts.
BigVern
Driver

Postby BigVern » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm

And...TANE release now pushed back to 15th May!

Already got my money back so will bide my time to see what happens next.
BigVern
Driver

Previous

Return to Trainz Mess Room