An odd one - class 40 cabs in preservation

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

Re: An odd one - class 40 cabs in preservation

Postby AndiS » Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 am

I would not say I am convinced that it is fast enough. But in my book, 4-5 times per second is more than enough, it's a train simulator after all, not a sports or combat simulator after all.

I think it all depends on the sort of computer you have, and how clever Windows handles the case. With 4 or 8 cores, one could well do nothing than passing your controller status around, and its not too many bytes, compared to shovelling all these textures around.

I am not familiar with Windows internals, but Unix/Linux had pipes for decades. You write into them as in a file (which means that Lua can do it without tricks) but on the other end, a program reads constantly, and only uses processing time when data arrives. MS-DOS used to fake pipes by reading all the data into a file before starting the program that received the data. But that was something like half a century ago (or a third, more precisely) and I lost interest in such details during that time. All I care about Windows7 these days is that it is near enough to XP to let me continue my work and that it does not crash.<old man icon here>
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby whittaker » Mon May 12, 2014 2:02 am

I do now there was a class 40 cab dumped at the back of the Crewe heritage centre site back in the 90s ,have a photo of me standing in cab doorway.

and i dont think it was from a named whistler.ill try to dig pic out of shoe boxes lol.

joe
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby briyeo » Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm

There was a Class 37 cab delivered to a real ale pub in Derby a year or so ago. It's in spitting distance of the old Loco works but this one wasn't built at Derby which is a shame. I can imagine it with 3 monitors running TS2014 and a good sound system and maybe some device to shake it as required. I'm not sure what they intend to do with it.

briyeo
Driver

Postby Alril40 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm

There's only one entire 40 cab that still exists, the one in the pic is actually 288/088 (the CFPS travelling sales stand) temporarily numbered as 218.

Again, not long after.

There are still however three nose ends off class 40's that I know survived the cutters torch, one each from 40139, 40150 and 40058. Its a real shame more didn't survive but that's how it went. Your best chances are class 37 related seeing as there's still a few of them knocking about :D.

Cheers,
Alex
Alril40
Engine Cleaner

Postby rfletcher72 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:52 pm

briyeo wrote:There was a Class 37 cab delivered to a real ale pub in Derby a year or so ago. It's in spitting distance of the old Loco works but this one wasn't built at Derby which is a shame. I can imagine it with 3 monitors running TS2014 and a good sound system and maybe some device to shake it as required. I'm not sure what they intend to do with it

That would be the Alexandra Hotel then Brian. I have spent many a cold winters evening in here, looking at the various railway memorabilia that adorns the walls and watching it slowly blur as the last HST to Sheffield draws near :!:

Turn right outside the station and it is the pub on the bend after the Brunswick (itself well worth a visit).

Me thinks I may have to reacquaint myself quite soon :) ,

Cheers,
Richard
rfletcher72
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Mon May 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Alex, chars very much... telling porkies again he is (my friend)... a 20 cab, a 56 cab and a 58 cab are all plausible, but whatever else is there certainly isn't a 40...

Thanks to the rest of you for your help also. :D
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby briyeo » Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 am

Just came across this image on Flickr and thought I would share it here.

briyeo
Driver

Previous

Return to General Chat