How best to determine the right rolling stock?

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

How best to determine the right rolling stock?

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:25 pm

I've put this here rather than in a TS014-specific area as I would think this topic could be of interest to all scenario authors.

Is there an obvious place to discover the correct rolling stock for a scenario? I suppose I'm really talking about modern settings but let me explain: I've been working on a scenario for the West Coast Main Line over Shap route from Preston to Carlisle. I can get the times for the trains easily enough but I don't live anywhere near the line so I have no first-hand knowledge of which operators run which services and what stock is used. I did some searching on YouTube and Googled for images of various spots. I did find some information but it seemed rather hit and miss and it left me feeling I hadn't got properly to the bottom of it all.

What do others do?

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Re: How best to determine the right rolling stock?

Postby DPSimulation » Sat May 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Taking WCML Over Shap as the example and using http://realtimetrains.co.uk// with it's detailed search, that should get you started on Virgin services at least which are denoted as 'VT'. For instance, looking at the timetable for Carlisle on Tuesday, 1M08 is pathed as a Class 390 EMU, so that one is self explanatory. A bit later on I look at 1S39 and that is pathed as a DMU, so it should be a Voyager.

If you then have Northern Rail services, denoted as 'NT', these are can be trickier, as 2C42 for instance is 'Pathed as Class 150/153/155/156'. In this case, I would then have a Google search of the headcode if unsure, to see which type of unit has been photographed on that service.

Transpennine Express are denoted as TP, and these are trickier still as until recently, they would have been Class 185's, of which there is no official DLC. They are also now using the Class 350 of which I think someone has done a hybrid unit on UKTS? Again, the website tells you which type of traction is pathed.

Freight, again tricky due to the lack of headcodes on sites such as RTT, but I often find that you can look at the service time, origin and destination, and a Google search will again throw up multiple results showing the locmotive and rolling stock.

If you want to go back and do something in the BR Blue period on the same route, it may be worth using the Carlisle Simsig, with a period timetable and the 'simplifier' (F8). This basically allows you to choose your station/junction/yard in the Carlisle area (I think Simsig covers from Gretna Jcn to Shap at least??), select your time of day and the simplifier will list all services in a two hour period that pass/stop at that location. You can then use the timetable viewer (F4) to find the headcode, formation and much more information such as timing points.

Hope that helps.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Yes, that's good stuff, thanks. I used Open Train Times, which gives you the times and pathing but nothing more. I'm not someone who gets too uptight about absolute reality but I thought this was an opportunity to see how easy it would be to set up something fairly close. I must have a browse of the site youmentioned.

Thanks again,
Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby yerkes » Sun May 25, 2014 7:10 am

Darren's methods for modern scenarios are exactly the ones I use, and they've always worked.
It's much harder for past-era scenarios. I like the tip about using Simsig - thanks, Darren. Also the usual sources (Flickr, notably) are still invaluabled for me.
yerkes
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby BigVern » Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 am

The SIAM Carlisle 1970 gives a complete 24 hour simulation of movements from Upperby and Petteril in the south to just beyond Gretna in the north. The line up tells you what traction should be on each train (in many cases it is up to you to allocate the correct motive power) though not the type of stock.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Postby deltic009 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:05 am

I have lost the the links with my recent OS installs but Network Rail host full working timetables indexed by sections shown on an overall map and these show specific unit booked (XC doesn't distinguish between 220/1) but you get the individual 15x stuff as an example.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Postby malkymackay » Sun May 25, 2014 11:42 am

[url]http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?dir=\Timetables\Working%20timetable%20%28WTT%29&root=[/url] for the Network Rail WTTs. The Freight ones also give a timing load, so if you can find out what wagons were used on a service, you can figure out how many there should be. For older scenarios, a Freight Train Loads book can give an insight into booked traction and load & as much reference material as you can get your hands on. I've found interesting pictures to help in back issues of Modern Locomotives Illustrated, for example.
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pjt1974 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:16 pm

For freight on the WCML, I generally go to http://railcam.org.uk/. They have a spreadsheet under the info tab that shows most of the freight that passes Euxton and the time it passes. Cross reference this with the booked passing time in the WTT and Bob's your uncle you have a headcode to work to. Sometimes you may not find the service you are after, but if you find a service later or earlier in the day with the same origin ,destination and carrier, you cannot go far wrong searching for that.
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Chris89 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Mostly just use the sites that have been mention. Also when did the Sleeper scenarios (over on ukts) i browsed a lot of Youtube videos to get the formation as correct as possible. Since it is a great source.

Rolling stock, say on the WCML. Since i use the line a lot (Wolverhampton to Edinburgh) i normally take a mental note on what i see extra, Same when i am on the E&G (Well only a small bit off it) and from previous experience on using the line.

For future coming lines, such as the SVR im in a great position of just walking down the road etc to get ideas and being a previous volunteer on the railway even more :)

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby BigVern » Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 am

Railway Herald or indeed Flickr also often a good source for historical photos which can give an idea of consists etc.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Return to General Chat