If you ask for advice

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

If you ask for advice

Postby Pjt1974 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:37 pm

It is just me, or do many who ask you for advice don't listen to it and then come back asking again when it's all gone pear shaped and they've had to reinstall a DLC route or mucked up a scenario beyond repair?

The first advice I always give is
If you are NOT confident, WORK ON A CLONED COPY or create a new route, add a bit of track and scenery and have a play in there where it doesn't matter if things go wrong.

Advice for those asking an experienced developer for advice.

FOLLOW THIER ADVICE they have learnt by mistakes so you don't have to
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Re: If you ask for advice

Postby BigVern » Wed May 28, 2014 3:32 pm

And when giving advice (or even choosing to give it) try and get a handle on the person you're dealing with.

If the request is articulate, reasoned and contains evidence the individual has reasonable technical skills, the response is probably going to be different than to a mis-spelled communication from someone perhaps lacking in basic computer skills. Same goes for writing readmes - I tend to assume people will know what Windows Explorer is and the difference between a folder and file etc., but in this era of plug 'n' play/one click installers etc., it isn't necessarily so.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Postby AndiS » Wed May 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I know what you mean, Phil. But consider this: In a recent case, where I was pretty sure that my typing was a waste and I only kept going through the whole explanation to avoid telling the original asker that he was highly likely to fail anyway, suddenly another person, whom I had down as member of the intelligent, wrote "thanks for the detailed explanation; I gave up on that before but will give it another try now". And I am sure that there are many who think something along these lines. This is the great thing about public forums. There are many who read and benefit. And if you are clever enough, you don't need to ask. This is not to say that those asking are not clever. But there is a certain amount of missing bits an upbeat, exploring reader will fill in. And then they succeed by only reading, never asking and rarely ever posting, because many are not registered or too shy or just not part of the "me too" & "oh wow" culture. So, as long as the thread title makes sense to people looking for a similar solution later on, or your own answer contains the right catch words, people will find your help later on, asking Google or forum search without you noticing.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby gougha » Thu May 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Most of the knowledge I have gained about Train Sim and Railworks before it, has been through reading the answers to other peoples questions. A lot of us rely on the knowledge that you guys pass on and for that I would like to say thankyou. Please dont be put off answering someone even if they dont listen. The rest of us still benefit from what you have to say.

Regards

Andy
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Return to General Chat