Oddball Ideas

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

Re: Oddball Ideas

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri May 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:If someone was modelling an older tram or a trolley-bus, how would they keep the poles on the wires? A pantograph has a considerable width relative to the wire so it doesn't apply on OH electrified railway or metro-tram routes but a pole with the small wheel at one end is a different problem altogether. Is there a mechanism to 'stick' two items together?

Assuming that the wires follow the centre of the track then you could make the pole a fake bogie with a fake wheel in line with it's start and end points. It will then twist as the track curves and stay on the centre line.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:23 pm

It isn't always directly over the track, though. Where bridge clearances were tight, it was common for the wire(s) to be slewed towards the centre of the road but, as a rule of thumb, your idea would certainly work. I wonder whether the wire could be given the properties of a track and the pole the characteristics of a wheel or wheels - taking your idea a step further? It would mean developing the concept so that there could be two tracks, with the ground-level one having priority over directing the vehicle and the secondary one guiding the pole.

Thanks for the input,
Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby DPSimulation » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

The last oddball idea I had (and I've had many!) was to build a Lego layout in TS. Starting with the green baseboards, and then creating buildings to look like they were created out of bricks.

I've since thought better of it!
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby DominusEdwardius » Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 pm

DPSimulation wrote:The last oddball idea I had (and I've had many!) was to build a Lego layout in TS. Starting with the green baseboards, and then creating buildings to look like they were created out of bricks.

I've since thought better of it!

Somebody is well ahead of you!
http://www.youtube.com/v/sBlHoBLVmB8
Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby DPSimulation » Fri May 30, 2014 6:52 pm