setting up the Source folder/blueprint editor help

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

setting up the Source folder/blueprint editor help

Postby Class1987 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:29 pm

image1.jpg
blueprint editor.jpg
Hi everyone I'm new on here if you haven't already spoke to me yet, I don't know if I've already got it set up correctly or not but I seem to be having a lot of folders missing in my source folder I have created my own. I don't know if this is the correct thing to do though but could anyone advise me if this is right or wrong, I have seen images of the actual source folder or blueprint editor already set up automatically on images but for some reason mine was empty when I first bought the game.
Here is an image of mine compared to the image I have seen above.
Cheers, Ian.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Re: setting up the Source folder/blueprint editor help

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi,

My source folder was empty as well. I believe that with the older incarnations of TS, in the Railworks days, you got a few example files to play with already in the source folder. I'm not sure about this though, just hearsay.

As far as naming goes, the only thing that is truly important is that you have a Source/SomeFancyDeveloperName/SensibleProductName folder (i.e. not Source/JohnQPublic/new folder). Below that level, it's a free for all as far as I know. Mine is a complete mess anyway, but if you want to do things properly, have a look in the Railworks/Assets folder. The file structure there mimics the source folder.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Like he said. The only thing to worry is whether RouteObjects is a great project name. If you consider producing another route object collection, I would consider something like "X Assets" where X is your current route project. But it is all at your discretion.

Below this level, I love to be minimalistic. If I produce a test signal pack that only contains signals, why would I hide them under RailNetwork/Signals? But If you create a route for which you provide signals, buildings, plants, and what not, then having lots of subfolders makes sense.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Class1987 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Do you think it's best if I change my folder title altogether like to Ianscontent instead, would that make a difference at all?
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby AndiS » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:58 pm

I would say that RouteObjects is slightly better than Ianscontent. :)

You obviously do not plan another project. So anything is good enough for the title.

The really important thing is that RouteObjects or Ianscontent is found in Class1987. That keeps your stuff separate from everyone else's work.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Return to General Chat