What a Site!!

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

What a Site!!

Postby Terrier060 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 pm

I have been 'out of commission' for some time, mainly due to work and trying to get two 7.25 inch gauge 'Terriers' completed, but I just wanted to congratulate all the founder members of this site for producing such a constructive undertaking. It is so nice today to see members giving their spare time freely on these historical projects. Because that is what they are - the careful research that goes into these routes makes them just as valuable as the photographic records. 'A moment in time' is captured in four dimensions!

I am still progressing in my amateurish way with the Vale of Glamorgan Railway from Barry to Bridgend where it joins the main South Wales Railway and is still in use, and the Cowbridge Railway from Pleasant Harbour (East Aberthaw) to the main line at Llantrisant. These Welsh valley lines make excellent projects and really do serve as historic records, as the collieries are now long gone.

What I love about this site is that although my attempts are amateurish compared with you serious modellers, if I have had any problems, I have either found the answers somewhere on the site, or there has always been someone who is prepared to give personal help; and in a world where time has become so precious I really appreciate the fact that there are still those generous enough to spare time to the lowliest individual.

I work as a cleaner on the South Devon Railway at Buckfastleigh when I have time, and it was so good to see that it was being modelled, and so expertly that I though I was there when I positioned myself in the engine shed! I could not believe how fast the route was being modelled. It has taken me years to get as far as I have, but nevertheless it has been very educational and interesting, using Google Earth as the main tool for planning the routes.

I thank you all for your generosity and especially those like 'Nobkins' and others who have provided videos which are so helpful to understanding construction techniques and getting objects into the simulator.

Please keep up the good work!

Terrier 0-6-0
Terrier060
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: What a Site!!

Postby BigVern » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:58 pm

I have noticed the site has gone very quiet of late but I guess that's the nature of the beast. People are busy with projects and, as experienced developers, we learned the hard way not to say too much until something has progressed to a reasonable likelihood of being finished and released.

In my case I've slapped a moratorium on route building for TS20xx, until I see exactly how TSW is likely to affect ongoing support from both DTG and other developers. There's no point spending 3 months on a route for a platform that could be dead or dying in 12 months. That's not meant to be negative, just a statement of where I stand on the issue.

So that leaves me trying to build routes in MSTS which is an exercise in frustration at best, or Trainz where you know despite how good your efforts might look it still runs like a model railway and those 2003 cabs used on much of the motive power with poor physics and windows that bleach the scenery don't help with motivation either.

Edit: After MSTS bit me in the bum a bit yesterday (3 tdb rebuilds in just over an hour to cure adjacent piece not loaded track errors) I have relented a little and fired up TS2017 to give it one more go. Not going to reveal anything about the project just yet, not a huge route the idea being to hopefully finish the project in the New Year. We shall see!
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Return to General Chat