I don't like steam trains

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

I don't like steam trains

Postby Dave Fennessy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

I avoid them in TS, am I weird? I appreciate all the work that goes into designing them for the game... but I can't see out the window and they make that horrible chuffing sound. Am I alone here?
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Re: I don't like steam trains

Postby brysonman46 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Dave Fennessy wrote:I avoid them in TS, am I weird? I appreciate all the work that goes into designing them for the game... but I can't see out the window and they make that horrible chuffing sound. Am I alone here?

Burn him at the stake - or better yet, straight into the firebox!
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Blasphemy! Heresy!

On a more serious note: I wouldn't want to live in the 30's and actually have to work on them day in, day out. There's a good reason steam went out of fashion. My granddad used to tell me stories about never being able to hang white laundry out to dry. Oh, and about chucking potatoes into the chimney from an overpass.

The bit of not being able to see out of the window is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Wish more devs would set up the camera position a bit more sensible. The hanging-out-of-the-cab position, using the cab model so you can actually control the engine, is a very good addition that many have used.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 am

Or conversely,

I don't like diesels or electrics
I avoid them in TS, am I weird? I appreciate all the work that goes into designing them for the game... but they are bland boxes with no character, with a lever for stop and a lever for go (or even one lever for both!) and they sound like a bag of nails being shaken or a whining cat. Am I alone here?

:)

Personally I'm ONLY interested in steam. The hard work they demand IS the challenge, and the enjoyment and feeling of success in driving them. If I want to see some bland plastic boxes (going nowhere fast) I can see them every day. But to see (and take part in) Britain's railways when they were the pinnacle of transport opening open the whole country to be visited by everyone.. that's exciting. A step into the past.

I want to simulate travelling on a modern electric train as much as I want to simulate eating toast - if I want to do it I'd rather just do it for real ;)
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby briyeo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Steam age only for me, though I will tolerate a few early green diesels. No electric traction, we haven't had any in my area since the trams system closed in 1932.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Dave Fennessy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I suppose I could start with a little one from Isle of Wight and work my way up. I may find my inner Steam urges rising to the surface.
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 pm

For me, my preferred time period is BR Green and the very early stages of BR blue. I grew up in the fifties and sixties so that was what I saw and spotted. It's a thrill to be able to drive steam and diesel engines that I used to travel behind, even if I can't drive them on lines that I used most often. I prefer steam but there is something about the slow rumble of a Sulzer engine or the scream of a Maybach that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Having said all that, I can enjoy driving modern stock, too, but I don't immerse myself in them as much as I do with earlier stock. I don't get very much fun from driving non-UK routes, especially American ones.

But, as the old saying goes, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby brysonman46 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Dave Fennessy wrote:I suppose I could start with a little one from Isle of Wight and work my way up. I may find my inner Steam urges rising to the surface.

The LMS Jinty is an easy one to start with. Andy Freeman has also put up some scenarios with it on the Steam Workshop (and Andy is a BR Blue man through and through).
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Return to General Chat