Help! Help! Can anybody help me!

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

Help! Help! Can anybody help me!

Postby Terrier060 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:25 am

Steam/Valve Train Sim would not launch and now that I have got it to work, all my route is coming up years out-of-date (2012). How can I get back my 2017 addition? Is it possible?

Ed
Terrier060
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Help! Help! Can anybody help me!

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 am

Let's start with the obvious question: what did you do to get it to start working again?

The game should be able to recover files on Steam and restore itself to the latest versions. Go to the Library section in the Steam program, right-click on TS2017 and then select Properties. Now make sure, in the Updates tab, that Automatic Updates is ticked. Try exiting and re-starting Steam and see if it tries to download anything. With luck, this will improve matters considerably.

Verifying the local game files is a nuclear option because it can (usually does!) mean you'll leave yourself with a lot of re-installation work for things like sound packs, if you're like me that is. Let's see what we can do before you try that.

If you do find you need to force things along go to the Properties menuy again. This time go to the Local Files tab and click on the Verify option. After some time the game will tell you that it needs to redownload a number of files, which can be quite a large number, so click on OK and let it do its stuff. This should bring the basic game and all the DLC from Steam up to date but it will probably stop things like Armstrong Powerhouse add-ons working so anything like that will need to be reinstalled. It should not affect any non-Steam DLC.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Terrier060 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

First Keith let me thank you for taking the time to look into my problem. I really appreciate that. In fact I have solved it though it may not have been the correct way! I think initially it was a login problem. I appeared to be logged in under two names. Please don't ask why as it has confused me and must have been something I did some time ago. I deleted one of the accounts and reloaded Steam. It all worked except that non of my route was present. So as a last attempt I renamed the Railworks file RailworksOld and replaced it with a backup Railworks file that I had made and was on my E drive. It is probably not the correct way of doing things but it works and all my route is up-to-date and working.

I look forward to your comments and thank you again for responding to my problem.

Ed
Terrier060
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 pm

If by "logged in under two names" you mean that you have two identities on Steam, I would consider joining them. You might own some routes under one name and some under another which can only have bad effects.

If they don't have a separate procedure, you can gift all the stuff of one identity to the other one, I believe.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am

Even though it's working, Ed, I'd still make sure that you have automatic updates enabled because, by definition, a back-up is very unlikely to be up to date and DTG bring out small updates regularly.

I didn't know that having two Steam accounts was possible but I agree with Andi that you should merge the two in case you have a mixture of DLC between them.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Return to General Chat