Introduce Yourself!

For all other chatting you want to do and that does not fit in another forum you can use this one.

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby johny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:56 pm

I have only just discovered this website, must be old age or something.

I have been freeware asset building since the early days of MSTS, mostly signals of the semaphore variety, initially private commissions for routes such as gopher's Bala Hub and pdee's Skipton to Carlisle 1920. With the advent of RS, I converted some of the signal kits to operate in both RS and RW. My latest assets, GNR Somersault Signals, were uploaded to UKTS a couple of months ago. Other assets include OHLE with a special commission for use in TPR. I somehow never got around to building locomotives, far too complicated, and have never mastered 3DS, preferring to stay with old faithful TSM for modelling and 3DC for the conversions.

John
johny
General Shed Duties

Postby Flackers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi all,

First off, my thanks to Brian for pointing me in this direction.

My name is Ant, some of you will know me from UKTS as batling. I started off simming probably ten years ago on MSTS and bought Rail Simulator to see what the fuss was all about when it was released. It didn't take long to get the route building bug and as I used to build model railways in my teens I started by making a few routes based on the concept of a layout using fiddle yards leading into a scenic area - my first attempt culminating in DaBear's End which was really a learning curve for all the aspects of train simming. I found a huge amount of help on the forums and made a few friends which spurred me on further. I built a few more routes on the same idea as DaBear's one of which was taken on by a group of Canadians and turned into a much bigger project, then started on the Westhouses branch which is a recreation of the old steam depot in the Alfreton area of Derbyshire, a place I could always see as a kid as I passed it on the train and it fascinated me. Since then I've worked on projects for a few commercial developers as well as uploading my own work for peeps on UKTS which gave me an opportunity to give something back to the community after I'd had so much help. Which I'm eternally grateful for.

Anyway, my life outside of simming consists of real ale, camping, power kiting and four years ago setting up my own garden maintenance and landscaping business so as you can imagine I haven't a great deal of time to spend on TS anymore though I still keep my hand in driving and I have about three unfinished route projects sat on my hard drive so the intention to dev is still smouldering away, so you never know, you lot might get me building again and having seen the fine work Brian and Chris are doing on Notts Victoria I'm getting some inspiration back :D

Thanks, Antony
Flackers
Engine Cleaner

Postby briyeo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:36 am

Welcome to the forum Ant. I mistakenly read your hobby as "Power Knitting" at first. :oops: :)
briyeo
Driver

Postby Flackers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 pm

You rumbled my code!

It's my secret shame...
Flackers
Engine Cleaner

Postby Schuster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Hello all,

thanks to Jim for the invite.

My name is Mathias. I use since 4 years Railworks / Train Simulator. I'm from germany and there active at www.rail-sim.de. My nickname is there also "Schuster".
My english is sometimes poor. Maybe it will be better later....

In the last time I am scripting most of all signals in Germany and offer them as freeware for the community. :) Many german payware creators use my scripts too for her signals, or use our signals from SignalTeam (we are 3 members). I also script an Austria-, Switzerland- and English-signal systems for payware. I didn't build any 3D-model.

Lets have a look, what I can do for you, here at trainsimdev.com.

regards
Mathias
Schuster
Engine Cleaner

Postby Nobkins » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Great to have you Mathias. Your signal scripts are very impressive indeed.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby TjoeTjoe » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi all,

somehow I missed that this beautiful site is existing for some time already. It was just that Jim posted a link to this site, what triggered me to ask to be allowed to jump on board.
So thanks to Jim for allow me to become a member of this community.

Of course I do have certain interest in railways and train simulation. The strange part in me is that I more like to explore what a simulation can do more or better, instead of just have a play with it.
This should sound familar to quite some people over here.

Anyway, I am Erwin, 42 years and Dutch.
The hobby of train simulation started a long while ago with MSTS. I almost abandonned the hobby within a couple of weeks, as I did not really like the few routes with where part of the package.
Until the moment that I found that there were many mainly freeware routes, including Dutch based routes and content, available. And that has actually been the moment that kept me sticked to the hobby of train simulation.

As said before, I was and still am more interested in what can be done more or improved or enhancement in a simulation, instead of just have a sit and drive around in the virtual world of trains.
In the MSTS time I limited this interest to just creating activities for existing Dutch routes, as content development really wasn't my thing.

That changed when Railsimulator was released. I was primarily attracted to the lua scripting, more specific to the signal scripting.
But still not being able to create any 3D objects, I could not do more then just read about scripting and discuss a bit about it here and there.

Time passed by, got involved in technical support and more for the Power Signal Box simulation being developped by SignalSoft (for those interested see : http://www.signalsoft.info/forum/index.php?act=idx)
Still spending a lot of my free time with that hobby at the moment as well, as hey, it is about signalling and more

Until about a year and half ago -when some kind of strange "meeting" with another Dutch guy - who was developping content for Train Simulator 201x .
He needed scripting help for Dutch level crossings he was creating under the Coha.nl label (http://www.coha.nl). Well, things went pretty fast since then.

Created a quite generic script which theoretically should be able to cover any level crossing system in the world - at least I think it should do that :D
By "accident" I told my collegue - the Conner, the 3D artis of Coha.nl - that I would like to have a non-prototypical signal object allowing to let me develop some scripts for a prototypical Dutch based signal system. I always make the joke that I wished that I'd never asked for that one, as this was the beginning of our next big project : the Dutch (light) signals package.
That package was released 6 months later, had an update a few months later, and honestly we are still extending the package.

Key thing is that I am proud having developped both the Dutch level crossing and Dutch Signal packages together with someone else who has the same enthusiasm for the hobby.
The best part is maybe that our freeware content is adapted and applied so rapidly in Dutch routes after release.
We're doing for the community after all.

Still have a lot of ideas for next projects, which aren't officialy announced yet, but for sure will be spending a lot of time on script development instead of drving around :)

Well that's it about me

Erwin
TjoeTjoe
Engine Cleaner

Postby styckx » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Just dropping by, finally got invited.. Most you should know me in some capacity.

For those who don't. I'm a yankee from across the pond who fell in love with the British railroad scene around Railworks 1. Lived in UKTS during this time and made some great friends. Mainly a texture guy and I've been told I'm good at it or something. :lol: Will also tinker and try to break stuff. I beta tested for DTG somewhere around Railworks 1 up to and through Railworks 3 before I left their beta program and made the slow withdraw from heavy involvement in the community scene a whole when DTG took all my free loot away.

My capacity now is limited. Just run the occasional route now and then and pretty much cease actively doing any type of texture work, or work in general. Not that I wouldn't do it again if something was presented to me that raised an eyebrow.

I also do flight sims. My primary simulator being Prepar3D.

I've got some files to upload here. Grabbed what little of my work I had left on UKTS before deleting them from there.. I'll do that soon as I can.

Cheers
Bill
styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Good to see you Bill. I hope this place inspires you to dabble once again :)
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Nobkins » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Welcome Bill. Just approved the 3 downloads. I try to do them as soon as I see them.

cheers

jim
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat