What is your current Project?

Everything to do with model railways.

What is your current Project?

Postby Crumplezone » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Hello folks, with the new model railways section I thought I'd kick off asking what is your current project or long term ongoing project?

As mentioned in previous "What are you working on?" thread I'm currently working on completing a model railway which will cater for a few options namely passenger, freight and a mildly busy engine shed to cater for classes up to 2-6-0.

The current plan is the following:

Due to space restrictions I'm unfortunately limited to a rather bog standard 6' by 4' setup but surprisingly alot of features can get into the layout. In the top left section there will be two sidings laid with flexi-track which will allow for a somewhat irregular shaped storage double siding setup. Here will either be stored freight wagons or passenger stock, but most likely freight to be shunted into a appropriate train on the second lower track on the right side of the upper part of the trackplan. As of yet I'm undecided if the upper right section will be a runaround double track station or a shunting zone, the other option is to have the station on the lower left of the plan on the long straight after the pointwork leading into a partial curved platform.

The 3 track siding which has a lead off to a turntable I intend to make a double engine shed (which you have seen pics of) on the lower two sidings and the top most siding will consist of a ashpit built into the rails with a coal stage for fueling and GWR styled water tower.

The beauty of the current layout is that I will primary be aiming at just Metcalfe card kits to flesh out the building scenery, but doing so and also not fixing them permanent to the board I can adopt to make the double track runaround in the top right corner a colliery aswell as station depending on mood. With this way of thinking the card kits can be lifted out and placed at will and create the ability to swap to anything I please depending on mood.

Board wise will be a standard frame setup of 1x4 outer edge frame with cross braces with 10-15mm holes drilled in central positions to allow for a DCC Bus to be carried around the layout thus creating no interruption zones. a 9-10mm Plywood top is planned and this allows for both track pins to be inserted and easy drilling, using chipboard creates to much mess and is rough to handle and MDF is extremely hard and most likely the track pins would bend so that will not be used.

Besides this the entire track layout will be raised off the board by about 2inches. Normally you could do a open frame setup which means you just hae the track shapes cut out on Plywood and then build up scenery around it but in my case this would make it weaker and alot more differcult for me to work with. My option of raising the track 2inches up via polystrene insulation sheets means that I can create mild embarkments and reasonably bridgework. Ofcourse this will depend upon the Metcalfe viaduct kit I plan to purchase and kitbash into a stone bridge.

Era is going to be steam ofcourse but transistion period of early to late crest, carriage stock will primary be maroon MK1s with a wrack of pullman for a fancy special. Wagons will be abit more diverse consisting of 10 and 20ton wagons carrying minerals, there is also plans to purchase some more goods vans and a few plank 5s with inserted wood pit props to create a mixed goods setup. Artistic liscencing usage means I'm not locking it to a real life location but a kinda mixed area which will still look like a real railway.

Locomotive fleet currently consists of:

Ivatt 4 'Flying Pig' in single chimney variant - it us currently in factory finish but will be heavy weathered, my plans is to having the Ivatt as my primary mineral mover.

BR early crest 56XX - a GWR loco enlisted to move the 20ton wagons. This one is also sound fitted so will probably see quite a fair bit of usage, its also weathered from purchase.

Standard 4 2-6-0 EC - This loco will be providing the passenger service capacity but also will fit into mixed goods duties. I plan to lightly weather this but emphasis rust on the cyclinder heads as photos of these machines showed sigificant rust in those locations in the later 50s.

BR EC Jinty - This will fill in a shunting role and will share some pilot duties with the Pannier tank. This is weathered from purchase but I intend to give it some extra weathering.

Pannier closed cab type EC - This loco will be serving my pilot duty role at the station if I keep it the station in the top right section of the board, if not it will duo shunting duties with the Jinty.

BR LC Bulleid Q1 - This was a impulse buy and to add another region to the mix, it will be the secondary bigger wagon loco and will be heavy weather to the point where not even numbering on the sides will be viewable.

All locos are DCC fitted which means wiring wise I do not need to include isolation tracks or any much more complicated wiring beyond creating the proper DCC Bus, it also allows for multiple locos to be on a single road at the engine shed without them all moving at once.

Additions to the loco fleet in the future will consist of a 4MT tank, a ivatt tank if I can find a DCC compatible one and maybe a Fairburn 4mt when Bachmann releases it next year.

Bar the Q1 most of my fleet is made up of Bachmann products which have started to be better than Hornby in recent years, they also cost less and generally have more selection for the locos I want to. Passenger stock also might get the inclusion of some Stainer coaches in red and cream colours but they currently retail at a whopping £35 per coach so 3 coaches will cost the equivilent of a loco purchase currently.

Hopefully I can get the board up in a week or 2 and start posting some WIP shots as I go, but in the mean time some more Metcalfe pics will be coming and probably my attempts at weather the Ivatt 4.

So what are the rest of you working on, do you have pics and what are your plans? I'm quite interested in hearing what you are doing :)
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Re: What is your current Project?

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:18 am

Nothing happening here at the moment, apart from staring at models in display cabinets and getting them out for the odd run.

It looks like you've got a great project in the pipeline, Daniel, I'm looking forward to the WiP shots. :) I think it's good that you're going with DCC, as it should optimise simultaneous operations and make the layout more fun. I've never used DCC myself but you make a strong case for it with the following sentence:

wiring wise I do not need to include isolation tracks or any much more complicated wiring beyond creating the proper DCC Bus

Wiring has been the bane of DC workings for me. The problem is that I don't think DCC is compatible with 2/3 rail course scale locos, and I'm not keen on having my brass B1 dismantled, especially as it was painted recently.

Additions to the loco fleet in the future will consist of a 4MT tank, a ivatt tank if I can find a DCC compatible one and maybe a Fairburn 4mt when Bachmann releases it next year.

You might want to wait a year or so, as I think Bachmann are upgrading the 2mtt chassis for DCC compatibility, like they did with the old A4 and V2. The Fairburn tank has been out for years, we've got one downstairs - have they stopped making them?

Bar the Q1 most of my fleet is made up of Bachmann products which have started to be better than Hornby in recent years, they also cost less and generally have more selection for the locos I want to.

When Hornby started the Super Detailing regime in the 00s, I think they were making the most detailed British-outline RTR 00 models, pioneering the cab details etc. Bachmann took a little while to catch up in that sense. However, I've never liked the finish of Hornby models, as the paint is so matte and often the colours are so dull that it's obviously plastic, whereas Bachmann seem to have more success with colour and leave a nice oily sheen to it. I'm lucky to have a nice selection from both manufacturers, but I think my best models are both Bachmann ones, 4mt 76079 and NRM Truro. Dad's 1000 Compound is stunning, shame it doesn't work and he's too stubborn to take it back, after gluing all the extras on BEFORE testing it. :D

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Chris89 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 am

Sounds like a very good and interesting plan Crumplezone.

I still need to get myself a 56xx as rather biased towards those locomotives, especially if i renumber it 5637.

No building or anything yet for me, since im doing some projects for a different game atm, but after that is done.
I will be doing a small Terminal Station like Old Bathgate (80s-2010) style, with incorporated parts from the new Bathgate station with a LMD next to it. Although it will not be FSR branded, so to leave it open for some LM goodies etc.

Current stock is a real mix match, but get what i take fancy towards :) It is nearly all Bachmann though.

Class 37 BR Large Loco Blue, With Westie on side, Which is sound fitted.
Class 45 BR Blue, Purchased from Modelzone at Metro Center in Newcastle. (Was on offer)
Class 101 in NSE, A previous Christmas present from other half. DCC Fitted.
Class 150/1 LM. I've always liked them and most likely will get another when Bachmann released the non big motor block one. Again DCC fitted.
City Class (City of London) Just like the class. Non DCC fitted at the moment.
GWR 57xx Christmas Present from Brother last year. Maybe a Sound Fit project candidate.
S&Djr 7F: The Wooden box special edition from a year or so ago. Again Non DCC fitted.

Hornby

Class 50, BR Blue DCC fitted (Ebay)
Tangmere from a Trainpack + Coaches. Non DCC fitted
Cadbury Castle (I think) From a trainset. Non DCC fitted.
5164 One of the first locomotives i was got. Think came from Modelshop in Shepton Mallet or Bridgewater when lived in the area.

Future Adds to the fleet.

Bachmann

350/1 or /2. Did get one on release, but it was DoA with DCC fitted. So was sent back and got a refund, since Hattons had none in stock.
Class 90 most likely in Freightliner Powerhaul
City of Birmingham in ROD with Ambulance Train pack. Soon to be released.

Also although not of main interest level. Maybe the Rapido APT-E.
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby Crumplezone » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:41 am

Far as I'm aware the fairburns have only been released as hornby versions in the past few years. Bachmann's new release list they put out the other day when celebrating their 25th year being in business on EU side included a new Fairburn 4MT. Getting a hornby Fairburn at the moment is either silly money or rare as pixey dust unfortunately, abit like my Bachmann ivatt 4mt with single chimney. I spent the better part of 6months trying to get a BR one with single chimney then one popped up on ebay for 55 quid.

Hornby models I agree I really to Matt gloss looking hence why the Q1 is going to get sigificant weathering to take away all the sheen and give it a working look. My comment about Bachmann out doing Hornby more recently stems to quality control and general detailing. Yes they did quite well with the super detail range but more recent offerings have been quite bad coming from there china factories. Parts being missing, bent bits or just bad mould lines have been complained about more regularly recently and I see alot from other forums I visit about running quality been especially bad on models in the last 5-6months coming from Hornby, noticibly gears cracking easy or the engine suffering extreme wobbling and snaking.

On the other hand I've not had a single issue with the Bachmann locos I've bought and in alot of cases people have mentioned seeing similar results. Bachmann's detailing has slowly caught up I mean my Pannier has reverser gear and regulators in cab now which is really nice and body shell work is looking good. The finish on Bachmann models also seems more subtle and gives them a good luck though I still intend to weather them either light or heavy depending on the loco.

On the weathering front I intend to use some Humbrol weathering powders which look to be quite suitable the video highlights what can be achieved. One could argue its probably better having a spraygun but the cost of them is quite high right now so its not really a option and well the weather powders do the job ok if you do it right.

demo vid: http://www.youtube.com/v/H7a3pgN7xy4

I agree about DCC being the better option now, I got really lucky a few years back and got a Hornby Elite controller on the cheap for £75, now your lucky to get them below 200 and other alternatives llike the dynamo cost upwards of 235 so I kinda lucked out by getting it on the cheap. I had done analog before and quite frankly I found it so annoying and intrusive when it came down to actual operation capacity that it really just fubared any attempt to get some realism into it.

DCC on the other hand opens the way for double heading which is sync'ed up with each loco so that one isn't going faster than the other and as previously mentioned allows for a full set of locos to be sitting in the engine shed without them all moving off as soon as you toggle the track. Ofcourse the other big advantage is being able to sound fit locos and control the various different sounds. My 56xx sounds great, when I tested it it really gives you the feel the locos are just more alive and its really surprising how a engine simmering inside a engine shed with sounds coming out of it gives you so much more entertainment.

Chris89 you have quite a selection there of mixed eras, I wouldn't mind having some diesels but I would be looking at probably smaller varients like a BR green 08 or maybe a BR blue 31 or similar sized to that.

I'm quite abit envious of you having that 7F I really wanted the Bachmann one when it was first released especially after seeing the glowing reviews in railway modeller and Hornby Magazine, I'll have to shop around for one in the future maybe even get one off ebay if I can.

Talking about other loco purchases I have a somewhat large want for a bachmann 9F and a Robinson O4 to fill out heavier freight. My only concern would be the 9F going around radius 2 curves without derailing as I don't think they have much left to right motion with the wheels...but just look at it:

Or another one this time of WD 8F, which is another big loco I wouldn't mind having..but TMCs weathered ones are 194 quid without chip fitted which is a minimal of 15 quid for the decoder:

Honestly I am half tempted to upfront the 40 quid their asking for to have my ivatt 4mt heavy weathered by them but that is if my willpower breaks :lol:

Ah well, I need build the baseboard first before anymore loco purchases :D

Weathering goal for the Ivatt 4 will be something to look similar to this but maybe abit more emphasis on obscuring the lining and emblem on tender and numbers on side of cab:

Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby Kevmt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:23 am

I doubt that it will be of any surprise to anyone who remembers me, that my model railway is a narrow gauge one :)

I'm currently working on a small layout built to 009 standards. That is 4mm scale using 9mm track giving me a track gauge of 2ft 3in.

My current project is a model of a Baldwin Class 10-12-D locomotive. 495 of these locos were built by the US Baldwin loco works to be used on the western front during WW1.

My model is based on a GEM kit and runs on a much modified lifelike 0-6-0 chassis :-

Need to add some number and work plates, to finish the model off.

I'll try and post some pictures of the actual layout, later today.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevmt
Engine Cleaner

Postby Chris89 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:46 am

Crumplezone: That is very fair, the 08 (Im still tempted by one) and 31s are quite nice. Im just going by the way of my 'Railway' i run what i want :P With the S&Djr 7F i was very lucky to get the model, Currently it is just in it's box in storage at the moment. Although one of the best Steam locomotives i have ever owned though.

Also that reminds me for some more locomotives to get at some point. Being a Flying Pig and a Stainer Mogul when Bachmann release it, although that one will have to be 42968.

@Kev. The layout looks lovely, Im sure you might know that Bachmann is planning to do a RTR Baldwin locomotive in 009 with various frieght wagons as well. As they just announced it last week.

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby Crumplezone » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Very nice Kev, your quite lucky doing 009 at the moment, Peco is introducing Lynton & Barnstaple livery coaches soon and the 009 society RNAD vans and flat wagon kits available for purchase and as Chris said backmann's tiptoeing into creating RTR locos to.

I would have loved to go into 009 scale as I do quite like narrow guage railways but the fact its heavy kit bash right now put me off and I went for 00 instead. Putting together buildings is ok for me but attempting to put a locomotive brass kit together would be alittle beyond me, not that I wouldn't want to learn in the future because there is some superb brass kits to make coaching stock and engines and also chassis mods to existing RTR kits. My main concern would be soldering the wrong sections together or melting right through the thin brass, plus wiring and putting together all the motor stuff makes me cringe just thinking about it.

But not to say I wouldn't want to learn to do it properly, I think the added bonus of creating a metal based loco beside it being personal is generally the performance is going to be alot better as its a heavier loco and you can put in quite powerful motor.

On the note of adjusting locomotives, I need to see if I can apply some additional weight into the body of the Ivatt 4MT to bring up its traction performance. The Bachmann 4MTs are unfortunately known for there ability to wheelslip easily or not be able to hand very many wagons behind it, epsecially if you adequately weight the rolling stock with ballast or sheets of lead in the coaching stock so it will be something to look at. My only concern is the Ivatt 4MT is bloody akward to open and fiddle with, infact it was so akward I had to have the local model shop fit the decoder because it was driving me up the wall. Bachmann in there infinite wisdom didn't put enough room in the smokebox which is where you are supposed to fit a decoder to in the 4MT chassis (all the 4MTs share the same designed chassis under bachmann) which in term leads to quite abit more time working on decoder fitting and I don't really like to cut into weigh pieces over motor sections to fit decoders in.

Other task I need to do at some point is replace the wheels on my two maroon MK1s, I bought them cheap and found out they had been ex-hornby railroad carriages but were fitted with NEM sockets rather than the big hoop sockets (I need NEM for all my rolling stock) but they are fitted with plastic wheels. While they turn alright they also catch in the frames so the frames need shaving and metal wheels need putting in. Either that or I source the entire bogie which I think are called commonwealth bogies and replace the 4 I need changing out.

On a maintaince and running in front I need to invest in a rolling road which will allow for easier running in of any new locos and general programming,testing CV settings to, DCCconcepts does one which is basically the wheels attack to a small metal frame which then sit ontop of your rolling stock which means you don't need to buy the considerably more expensive hornby version.

Lots to do, but that is the fun of the entire project :D
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby Kevmt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:03 am

Chris89 wrote:
@Kev. The layout looks lovely, Im sure you might know that Bachmann is planning to do a RTR Baldwin locomotive in 009 with various frieght wagons as well. As they just announced it last week.

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

I have seen the Bachmann announcement. I'd planned on painting this loco in Ashover maroon livery, but when I saw that Bachmann were planning on doing Peggy from the ashover I decided to switch to black. I know that they will do a much better job of it then I will :)

Kevin
Kevmt
Engine Cleaner

Postby Kevmt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am

Crumplezone wrote:Very nice Kev, your quite lucky doing 009 at the moment, Peco is introducing Lynton & Barnstaple livery coaches soon and the 009 society RNAD vans and flat wagon kits available for purchase and as Chris said backmann's tiptoeing into creating RTR locos to.

I would have loved to go into 009 scale as I do quite like narrow guage railways but the fact its heavy kit bash right now put me off and I went for 00 instead. Putting together buildings is ok for me but attempting to put a locomotive brass kit together would be alittle beyond me, not that I wouldn't want to learn in the future because there is some superb brass kits to make coaching stock and engines and also chassis mods to existing RTR kits. My main concern would be soldering the wrong sections together or melting right through the thin brass, plus wiring and putting together all the motor stuff makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Thanks crumplezone :)

There does seem to be a lot happening in the 009 world at the moment!

After working with the scale off and on for nearly 50 years (!!!!) now, it does seem strange to be able to buy stuff off the shelf. Having said that, the items so far released (peco coaches and wagons) don't fit in with the railway I've built and so I've not actually bought any, so far.

The Baldwin loco is actually a whitemetal kit that I've glued together. These are much simpler to make then brass kits. I have made a couple of brass kits in a larger scale, notable the Ffestiniog loco 'Welsh Pony' in 0-16.5 scale, but I didn't find it a pleasurable experience and not really tempted to have another go. My soldering skills are just not good enough :)

Kevin
Kevmt
Engine Cleaner

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Interesting stuff. I don't have the space for a layout (nor the time with a young family) but maybe when I retire :?

I've not weathered a loco but it does look fun, I've built many a model kit and turned a couple of plastic tanks into something a bit more authentic using ink washes, dry brushing and some model railway dirt..

Look forward to seeing what people do with their locos and layouts.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Next

Return to Model Railways