What is your current Project?

Everything to do with model railways.

Re: What is your current Project?

Postby Chris89 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

The Tiger looks fantastic Pete. So do the Panzer 3? and the Panzer 4.

My brother does have a Jadgpanther Kit to make from Tamiya, if got it for reference when he was doing his University course for a 3D model.
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby Crumplezone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Very nice pete, I do quite like how you have done the metal edges and created mud layering on the tiger. I used to do the same for warhammer 40000 figures many years ago, talking about warhammer/40k I found some photos from years ago of something I did which was to go with a vampire counts army:

Mannfred Von Canstein:

Unfortunately this was nearly 16 years ago and a very much doubt I could paint up to those standards anymore, especially with my hands the way they can cramp on the fingers or suddenly jerk. My doctor thinks its early stage RSI so unfortunately the more delicate and finer detailed painting skills are pretty much lost to me without spending hours and hours on one part of a model and with the models being as small as they were I had to give them up.

I have a carnifex(affectionately know as Mr Gibbles as he has a 25 - 2 win record against character models in battle) from the tryanids race with abit more chitton armour on it and painted up in a wash style which gives it a glossy alien style to it but I've not got photos for that as its buried away in the loft somewhere. Also a few veteran space marine commanders are lingering in probably the same box in Ultramarine decor.

Fun thing is what I learned while doing those models ended up helping me now with the model railway side of things. I'm not affraid to tackle or modify building kits and certainly I'm not to bothered about the aspect of weathering my locos. Though one thing I would have liked to picked up is the skill and the equipment to use a spraygun as nowadays weathering is made alot easier with a spraygun setup, alas I will have to deal with building up weathering layers with the dusts by applying then matt spray vanish from 60cm away and then apply again, rinse and repeat to the layers look suitably grimey enough.

Funny part of all this is I was given a GSCE grade of D for Art, but we were forced to do still art and so many boring subjects, quite frankly if I'm not interested I can't do well in it. It was not untill I left school and spent many a evening with my water colour painting gramps that I found I had a knack for model painting.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but the Jagdpanther is my favourite tank and the Tamiya model is really nice.
I have one just a touch larger, 1/8 to be precise :D

Those are some really nice figures Crump. I used to paint metal D&D figures back in the day but never to that standard. Goodness knows where they are now :)
Sorry to hear about your hands. It can be very debilitating to get these things.

Coincidently I also suck at art according to my school reports. No talent for drawing or anything like that. But I seem to be doing ok none the less. Mind you, computers weren't an option for art when I was at school, unless you wanted to design this :?

VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:Thanks :) Panzer 3 (my conversion is to an N variant)
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but the Jagdpanther is my favourite tank and the Tamiya model is really nice.
I have one just a touch larger, 1/8 to be precise :D

Those are some really nice figures Crump. I used to paint metal D&D figures back in the day but never to that standard. Goodness knows where they are now :)
Sorry to hear about your hands. It can be very debilitating to get these things.

Coincidently I also suck at art according to my school reports. No talent for drawing or anything like that. But I seem to be doing ok none the less. Mind you, computers weren't an option for art when I was at school, unless you wanted to design this :?

Yes I think that is what fundmentally changed over the years, there used to be "graphics" as a subject in my secondary school but it was more graphic design than actual anything related to computers. In later years which you have probably found, anyone can pretty much learn from tutorials and videos available online now and get plugging away at photoshop or another appropriate tool and with enough practice can do some great stuff.

I think honestly it was the failing of the education system when I was younger, those in our art class who had a affinity to do still art and art gallery type painting and drawing were focused on more than those struggling with the concepts of still art or drawing something from nothing on the spot. I admit I had a great deal of differcult of just imaging what something would look like before putting it down on paper.

So along came 40k and its models. In essense you have the art already drawn and its ready to fill in with colours. Funny way to look at it is a 3D colouring book for adults. As I previously mentioned if something doesn't interest me I cannot focus on it or really do much good of it so when the models were presented to me I was interested in it and this allowed me to develop artistic skills which quite frankly wouldn't really be applied to still life or a flat piece of paper or even improved upon in GCSE. Granted the basic concepts of colour shading and mixing did get carried over but the rest was pretty much self taught.

I think its one of the beauties of finishing schooling, you can develop skills which were not a priority towards your studies and then start really enjoying them.

Also I don't mind you popping stuff up Pete, it all pretty much falls into the same area even if not related to the railways and there can be shared interests between different models aswell as techniques shown. Plus its always nice to see what people have achieved with other forms of modelling. :)
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Well you're both far better with a paintbrush than I am, and I got a B in GCSE art. :D Which makes me think the subject was a load of crap even more than I already did. Lot's of portfolio work, "exploration" and going on different "journeys", writing about inspirations and ideas, and then the art teachers didn't seem to like it if you disagreed with their instructions on how to do your own work. :? I've derailed the thread :( , I'll try and make up for it with a photo of a loco that needs glazing.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Kevmt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 pm

There is certainly some nice modelling and painting in this thread :)

Sorry to hear about your RSI problems, crumplezone. This is something that's affected me over the last few years and virtually stopped my Trainsim modelling. I have to be be careful what I do, these days. Hope you see an improvement, soon. No one warns you how painful RSI can be!!

Kevin
Kevmt
Engine Cleaner

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Trying to decide what would be the best way of gluing some glazing into these windows, given that it's a bit cluttered in there...

I tested the front windows for finger access and I think it's going to be a delicate tweezers job.

The solid jet vacuum brake will make the task more interesting, getting right in the way. :)

Chris

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:07 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:Trying to decide what would be the best way of gluing some glazing into these windows, given that it's a bit cluttered in there...

I tested the front windows for finger access and I think it's going to be a delicate tweezers job.

The solid jet vacuum brake will make the task more interesting, getting right in the way. :)

Chris

I recall a article in one of the magazines using something which was a liquid glaze on windows. It goes on milky but then dries and becomes clear they did it on a un-rebuilt merchant navy for its cab windows and it looked just like real glazing. I don't know if it would be suitable for you or not or weather you want to just go with plastic glaze and try and glue it in. Its normally suited to doing smaller windows, I can't really tell size wise what they are from windows but its kinda like coach windows is unsuitable size for liquid glazing but smaller stuff like that of 00 cab windows should be ok.

Otherwise it looks quite a fiddly glazing job, I'd probably tackle the side windows first then try the smaller half circle windows afterward. I found Super 'Phatic glue by Deluxe materials made glazing really easy on the Metcalfe kits and it sets clear and you can use a cotton bud to wipe off excess of the glaze. Its not a type of glue which will melt right through the glazing but I would recommend not putting to much on as it will spread quite fluid-like across the glaze if applied to hard. Cool part about Super 'Phatic is pressure reduces its dry time aswell mass so its ideal for this type of job.

On another note, I've just placed a order for weathering powders and a can of matt acrylic varnish to get to work on the weathering on my locos in the next few days, picked up Rust, Iron Oxide, dark earth, white, black and smoke colour to give abit of variation.

I am hoping the Iron oxide is as rusty as some people say it is and I can achieve a somewhat similar result to the following photo on the Ivatt:

Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:23 pm

The windows are probably a bit big for liquid glazing, about the size of an 00 scale Mk1 window I'd say. The model actually came supplied with some clear strips of plastic, so we'll probably make use of that for several locos. :) Thanks for the tip of getting Super 'Phatic, I've never heard of it before but it sounds ideal as I don't want alot of mess in my cab if it can be avoided. Quite handy having an experienced modelling dad when you lack the confidence - that particular model is not one I'd want to test my abilities on! :D

Thanks
Chris

cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 am

Weathering powders and stuff on its way finally, get a email from ehattons a HOUR before there 2PM next day delivery cut off apparently they forgot to put on their delivery options that aerosals and liquids won't be carried by royal mail (I had picked the before 1pm next day RM option) so they had to ask my permission to change to Yodel which is courier service since only couriers dispatch liquids and aerosals now.

Anyway, long story short ehattons has a lovely live chat service you can use on there website and got it resolved pretty quick, mind you Yodel is quite annoying as a delivery service as they hand off to local couriers when it get over to your area, my last delivery by yodel came at 5:30pm after waiting around all day (I didn't know they used local couriers).

While dealing with all this I've been doing abit of research into the Humbrol weathering powders to get a general idea of what I'm liking to encounter with the models and have a general idea of what is going to be annoying and what isn't by makers in a good to bad scale:

Locos: Dapol, Bachmann then Hornby(satin finishes on non-weathered locos = urgh) - Dapol are apparently the easiest to apply weathering powders to then bachmann, Hornby models which are not factory weather (spray across the loco -.- ) are generally in satin finish, with weathering powders you need a matt finish so may have to spray before applying which is annoying.

Wagons: Dapol, Bachmann/Hornby: All 3 major providers for wagons are easy to weather with powders and look pretty good to when done up from picture evidence.

Coaches: All are noted to be pretty annoying with weathering powders on body work, bogies and buffers will be fine but the finish on bodywork causes weathering powder to not stick very well so I may have to get some decal fix and apply that to body to ensure powders stay on.

First victim for weathering is Departmental Olive Green Brake Van, not strictly steam era but I liked the colours and its based on a SR design:

2nd victims of weathering will be these 3 20ton steel sided wagons, they are noted to be lime stone only type:

Not a 3rd victim, but hopefully doing the wagons above will provide some idea of how the weathering powders handle on models, so heres my Ivatt 4 Flying Piggy:

As you can probably tell from the pictures the wagons are really a smooth finsh and quite frankly really plastic like in appearance and do not represent to me personally what a model train should be like, it doesn't give off "I'm a model depicting real railways" but more a "I'm a toy train" which doesn't suit my taste.

Alot of people are afraid to weather their expensive models and rightfully so, however the beauty of weathering powders are they can be easily removed by just water before you apply any matt varnish to seal it all in. So if it doesn't look right, pull out the rag and start cleaning, no harm done in the end.

The art of weathering is also a manner of getting something close to the prototypical to, rust in areas where steam and water is likely to have interacted, white and limescale from safety and the wash plugs should you be depicting a limescale rich water area of the railways and also HOW weathering interacted with the locos on the real things.

This is a big important factor I have to keep in mind when I begin my weathering project is on real life locos weathering came from two sources, downward from the top of the boiler to the running plates with rain and soot from the exshaust and upwards from the track to go across the drive wheels/connection rods, cyclinders and the underside of the running board. Keeping these in mind and also the above of where steam is likely to interact with the parts I should be able to achieve something similar to a 1950s working loco.

So what have I decided on weather levels?

The brake van is likely going to recieve a light to medium level of weathering using dark earth powder and a mixture of black and smoke powder blended to create a dusty feel to the roof and down on the wood work. Rust will be applied to the bogie and general metal work at the bottom and the wood panelling will recieve dark earth to create a 5-10 years of wood weathering, hopefully I will be able to achieve a darker wood colour to it.

The 20tonners are going to be subjected to quite abit of rust, iron oxide, dark earth and smoke/black powder to really give them a real in use look and I hope to actually find out my acrylics and paint a few of the planks on the inside of the wagons to show they have been replaced over time. I consider mineral wagons to be beat up, well rusted and well worn so I am hoping to achieve this with more liberal uses of the iron oxide powder and rust powder and mix in some dark earth.

The ivatt 4 Flying Pig I am somewhat going back and forth, I would like to give it a really used and heavy weathered look like the picture in my last post but at the same time I'm wondering if a medium to heavy level of weathering will be more suitable. I do want to dedicate the Flying Pig to hauling the wagons and freight trains on my layout but do I want it at the level of Barry scrapyard condition or just getting close with more rust on boiler, cyclinders, wheels and chimney? Its a hard decision for me and I think I will collate more photos tomorrow as I wait for the powders to be delivered to see what would be suitable level of weathering.

Hopefully I'll be able to show atleast one weathering result by the weekend, I have to say I've never been quite so excited to start fiddling with things after so long.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to Model Railways