Steam Sounds Supreme Projects

Use this forum to show off your hard work to the other visitors of this site.

Re: Steam Sounds Supreme Projects

Postby SteamSoundsSupreme » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Thank you for your observations Crump! I'm sure Tom will appreciate it...............................

The Latest Promo Pic:

Well done to Tom and Chris. Until the sounds stage begins, I'm just a respectful and appreciative observer!! :) ;)

Regards
Matt
SteamSoundsSupreme
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 pm

My criticism would be that the motion is looks silver rather than matt grey, which the photo also shows.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:My criticism would be that the motion is looks silver rather than matt grey, which the photo also shows.

Keith

Constructive criticism Keith - at least you're not moaning about it and getting in a huff! :D I agree, and I think really it's likely that the same applies to the ends of the cylinders too - and anything else that's just unpainted metal.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Zoid99 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for the comments, it's good to hear someone else's opinion. Will have a play with the textures on the wheels, I was planning to add the wheel centers in at some point ;-). The buffer beam I was toying with the idea of useing a bump map to do the rivets as they are almost flush to the buffer beam.

Cheers tom
Zoid99
General Shed Duties

Postby JamesLit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Personally Tom, of all places, I'd not recommend a bump map for the bufferbeam. For screenshots etc it's one of the most commonly looked at places. The terrible rivets on the RSC A4, which were all bump mapped and look shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-er, bad, very bad indeed, went down terribly. I hate the sight of them! I'm sure you'd bump map yours better than they did theirs, but a bump map will only get you so far. A few rivets or bolt heads - I'd imagine it'd probably be bolt heads on the bufferbeam mostly, though I have seen many cases of their being rivet heads as well, just not without bolt heads too - won't add much to the poly count. For my models, my standard high detail rivets - which I use everywhere - are about 30 polys. Bolt heads only need a few sides so it'd probably not be more than about 8 odd.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Zoid99 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks James for your advice. I try to keep the polys down on my rivets, I think their about. Maybe I'll give it a go ;-)

Cheers
Tom
Zoid99
General Shed Duties

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 pm

I must say, the pesky bufferbeam rivets are quite difficult to see in photos. I think I'm going to have to go on a search for photos that show them up clearly, so we don't miss any of the blighters!

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby AndiS » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 pm

I think modellers ought to paint the rivets green so we can count them better.
On a green engine, it would be red, of course.

I would call it a sign of appreciation of the quality-aware customer.

Of course, I would demand another livery with standard paint on the rivets, without surcharge. I would refuse to drive an engine with green rivets. But how should we evaluate these screenshots of all these rivets are so hard to count?
:twisted:
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:36 pm

JamesLit wrote:Constructive criticism Keith - at least you're not moaning about it and getting in a huff! :D I agree, and I think really it's likely that the same applies to the ends of the cylinders too - and anything else that's just unpainted metal.

Well, that's what I intended it to be and it appears that the developers are taking all the criticisms in that light, which is good news for the final product. There is always the potential pitfall of getting too close to anything you're heavily involved with and not see things as dispassionately as you could. Someone else looks at it and the things you've subconsciously ignored come into sharp focus to another pair of eyes.

I once suggested that the motion on a loco was too dark and failed to show up against the wheels. As I thought the motion had been done well I said that I thought it was a shame not to be able to see it. The developer took great umbrage and suggested I go out and find a Kitmaster model and paint the motion as I saw fit as I clearly knew nothing.

But the next update corrected all the criticisms that had been despised in public.........

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby SteamSoundsSupreme » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:it appears that the developers are taking all the criticisms in that light, which is good news

I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR CHEEK!!!! :o

Only joking! :lol: When the sounds are being aired, I expect the same honest views. It helps make a better product, and that's what we all care about producing!
SteamSoundsSupreme
Passed Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to Showroom