A J15 Model

Use this forum to show off your hard work to the other visitors of this site.

A J15 Model

Postby rivimey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd post these pics of a J15 that I've been working on (off and on) for a while.

I must give credit: the original model was made by 'ike', who gave me the sources 'to do what I wanted with'. After looking over the model I decided to do some improvements, and like topsy things happened!

There is lots still to do, but hey ho!
Attachments
Render1.jpg
Render2.jpg
Render3.jpg
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: A J15 Model

Postby cunningn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 am

Looking good Ruth - how much more modelling is required ? Have you ventured into the physics and animation side yet ~?

Neil
cunningn
Engine Cleaner

Postby rfletcher72 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:29 am

Very nice Ruth :)

I remember 65462 covering me in soot at the NNR many moons ago, much to the amusement of my Mum and Dad :| ,

Regards,
Richard
rfletcher72
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:30 am

Coming along very nicely Ruth! Well done indeed! :D
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby deltic009 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 pm

That looks like a very nice model there, I wish you all the best with the project.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Postby rivimey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I was particularly pleased with the wheels, which total several thousand polys alone courtesy of that convoluted spoke arrangement! Total polys for the engine, btw, is 58K - the original came in at 6K!

Modelling-wise there is more to do: there are quite a few details missing, such as the whistles, drawbar and buffer detail, and the cab detailing, and pipes are my least-favourite thing to model! The Tender model I inherited needs less attention though I'm sure I will fiddle: it is lacking in detail underneath and the wheels are quite low-poly. The UV mapping of the engine is partially done, but the tender needs to be started.

And then of course is all the simulation and animation stuff. I know I can make the wheels turn (though not on this particular incarnation of the model, I did it a while ago) but I'm very unsure how I make an IA animation file for things like the regulator and cab valves: In particular, do I have to make a new blend file for each thing animated?

Finally, the remaining 'real' J15 is currently undergoing refit to it's original guise as a Y14 and it would be nice to get some actual sounds from it, but that is a whole new ball game! Not sure if there is anyone who could help with that, even on a 'provide hints' basis.

Regards
Ruth
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 pm

I must admit I was admiring the wheels when I saw the model this morning, Ruth. I find they tend to be the bits I look at the most, probably because I like to watch them in the helicopter view. Very nicely done indeed, well done. :D When the time comes, and if I don't have a full backlog, I'd love to help you process it into a train sim loco and tender. You are at least most welcome to use the particles I've made for SteamSoundsSupreme, Just Trains, Pete's railmotor etc, if you wanted. :)

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby rivimey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Chris
Thanks very much for your offer: I will very probably take you up on it :-)

Ruth
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Return to Showroom