I've not been idle..

Use this forum to show off your hard work to the other visitors of this site.

Re: I've not been idle..

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

The amount of effort put into these often overlooked cars is amazing. Have fun unwrapping ;)
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby malkymackay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:39 pm

The hoppers have made it in game. A pair of Class 24s from the dedicated pool allocated to Gateshead (24102 - 24111) provide the motive power, with a Class 40 that coupled up at South Pelaw on the back. With the train weighing in at 688 tons, it's slow going on the 1 in 50 climb, even with what should be over 4000hp across the 3 locos.

Unwrapping has already begun. I'll also probably manage to cull around 20k tris by baking most of the rivets on the body and bogies to texture.
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Interesting, thanks for the hard work you are putting into these, they will give the scenariomakers something new to play with.
And something quite looking quite different.

Now both your wagons and the ones linked by keith remind me of some of the older german wagons what I was looking up a while ago.
Yours one of the older ones taken over from the state railways as well as this one: http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?17,3002902, and keith's look pretty similar to the ones used from the 1920's-1930's onwards.
this type, the Oothttp://666kb.com/i/c56zy5vp3p6uvv9dh.jpg

There are some differences due to the loading gauge of course.

Fascinating, I wonder if there was an exchange on that topic between the countries's railways.
I know that there was an exchange on locomotives, given that Wagner toured britain and got a gold medal from the British society of locomotive engineers.

Rockdoc2174 wrote:Not a million miles from these. (Hint! Hint!) :-)

http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-an ... 0t-hoppers

I have sometimes wondered whether these were related designs or simply parallel evolution with function dictating the design?

Keith
Wolf
General Shed Duties

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 pm

I recall reading such in thing - albeit in a youtube comment. Those wagons sure look 'german' to my eyes!
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby malkymackay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 pm

They were rather different from most of the wagons that British Railways were building in the mid 1950s. I can't think of any other side discharge bogie designs and their load of 56 tons was somewhat greater than the 4 wheel hoppers and tipplers built for BR and used elsewhere in the UK for iron ore.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:53 pm

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:I recall reading such in thing - albeit in a youtube comment. Those wagons sure look 'german' to my eyes!

Well there was a state railway design in the "Güterwagen-Archiv. Teil: 1. Länderbahnen und Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft Aus der Reihe: Eisenbahn-Fahrzeug-Archiv, 7.1" by Helmut Behrends, that really looked like it, sadly I can't remember the type name as I had to give that book back a few months ago.
I got it via a library and was looking for a different type of wagon.

The books, sadly very hard to get these days.
https://www.eurobuch.com/buch/isbn/3344001841.html

Also agree with Malky, it is something strinkingly different to see, but then it's often interesting to see the different ways of solving a problem different countries applied in the wagon design.
And the variety during the steam age is impressive compared to today, lately I found out about the Säuretopfwagen or Acid container carrier wagon.
http://www.die-archiv.de/Das_DIE-Archiv ... _dr_1.html

A british variant is shown here:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-expchem.htm
Wolf
General Shed Duties

Postby malkymackay » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Unwrapping has been completed, AO baking done and some base textures applied. Some material tweaking required, but certainly looking the part.

malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby Stone75 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Looking the part ? Now that's an understatement ! Superb work, a pleasure to see :D

Stephen
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Bit of a tip, looks like you've used compression on the normal maps? Instead of compressing, try lowering the resolution of it. A half-size normal map takes up just as much memory, and has about the same memory footprint. Compression completely messes up the smooth gradients of the normal map, which causes the blocky artefacts that you see.

Excuse the nitpicking!
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby malkymackay » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Nitpicking isn't a problem. I've not used compression on the normal map I created, but I did lower my graphics settings for a busy scenario. I'll double check the textures with the settings back at highest.
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to Showroom