I have no idea where this is going...

Use this forum to show off your hard work to the other visitors of this site.

I have no idea where this is going...

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 pm

...but I've strewn a certain name around a bit too much. Actually, it was Mr. du Bousquet who did most of the work on this I believe. De Glehn being merely the father of the concept.

It's a de Glehn atlantic of the Cie. du Nord. Slightly different versions where used by the other major french companies (and the G.W.R... but I get the impression they'd sometimes rather deny ever buying something abroad :lol: ), excluding the P.L.M., who preferred a home-grown design.

Loads of information still missing so I have absolutely no clue whether or not this will ever see actual in TS use.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Re: I have no idea where this is going...

Postby DominusEdwardius » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am

You've finally gone totally insane :shock: Welcome to the club :twisted: Looking great!

regards

Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 am

Would love to comment on this, but I've just got to clear up a rather large pool of drool on the floor, give me half an hour or so.... :D :mrgreen:
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby DominusEdwardius » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Isn't this the one which has got two regulators and two reverser's to contend with :D

Edward
Regards Edward

Meshtools - Scripter and Sound Artist
http://www.meshtools.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Meshtools
DominusEdwardius
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Basically, yes*. A single screw reverser permits independent working of the low and high pressure valve gears. Both valve gears could also be manipulated at the same time. It's a rather ingenious device that permits this. There are two regulators**, one supplies live steam directly to the H.P. valve chest, the other bypasses the H.P. side of things and allows steam into the reciever (effectively the steam chest for the low pressure cylinder). Finally, there's a pneumatically operated set of valves that permit the exhaust steam of the H.P. cylinders to escape directly in the blastpipe rather than feed the L.P. cylinders; in together with the L.P. regulator this effectively turns the engine into a four-cylinder simple expansion locomotive. As I gather it, there's five modes of operation being:

1. Compound is the normal way of doing things.
  2. Simple permits easier starting, as when in compound, the reciever pressure only starts to rise after a few revolutions of the wheels, and those small H.P. cylinders won't start a train for you.
  3. Reinforced Compounding is effectively the same as working the engine as a compound, but letting a bit of extra steam into the reciever by means of the L.P. regulator. Incidentally, the reciever had its' own safety valve set at 6 atmospheres; presumably to prevent an uneven distribution of work.
  4. And finally there's two breakdown modes, where you'd work the engine with either the H.P. or L.P. side isolated. No good at all but it'll sort of get you to the next loop.

If I haven't gone insane yet, I shall soon :lol: .

* But not the only one. The vast majority of express locos built in France after this one seem to be some variety of this idea.
** So regulator implies a long metal lever, which some of 'em have, but very often the L.P. regulator is just a valve with a handwheel, much like a injector steam valve.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Sounds like it will be great fun to learn to drive. Always up for the challenge of a new loco type!
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:15 am

I sort of look forward to doing the scripting on this. I think I'll be able to adapt my existing physics, but there's loads more to think about and loads more to go wrong I fear...
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Pro tip: HD IK solvers work wonders on these sort of mechanisms. The HI version might be more stable and easier to use, but this was pretty easy to rig.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby Stone75 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 am

mesmerizing :shock:

Looks great, well done ! ;)
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Cab. In mostly WIP state. I want to have at least the major bits done before I pack in the UV's. But by tradition, I'll forget something and have a 256x256 cheaters texture.

And I thought the ergonomics on Beyer Peacocks products where horrible. There's barely a place to stand for the driver.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Next

Return to Showroom