Co-acting call-on arm? (AndiS scripting)

Co-acting call-on arm? (AndiS scripting)

Postby albinopigeon » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:34 pm

Hi all,

A couple of signals on our route features both a calling-on arm and a route indicator box, which I have scripted as a co-acting arm to the main home arm. This just calls the relevant number animation for the track link. Under this method, however, when the calling-on arm pulls off, the route indicator is blank. I'd like to figure out a method for making the calling-on arm work in tandem with the indicator. I've tried scripting it as a proper indicator box but I had absolutely no luck, so I stuck with the good old Train Simulator smoke-and-mirrors method.

So, is there a way to make a second child object work in tandem with a call-on arm, like it is possible with a home arm and a co-acting arm?

Thank you in advance!

Asset maker, wagon builder, route builder among others.
albinopigeon
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Co-acting call-on arm? (AndiS scripting)

Postby AndiS » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:39 pm

I would be interested in learning about the prototype here. I only know the GWR variant where each of the route indicator stencils moves the stop arm when it is moved. I would not know how you would move the call-on arm instead, from a mechanical implementation perspective.

But I have half as much information on the SR, I admit.

I'm afraid I cannot help much there, nil actually, as clearing the call-on arm is another thing as clearing the stop arm in my logic and there simply is no provision for extras in that case.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby albinopigeon » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:27 pm

The prototype is my backwards shoestring implementation, I've never seen any example of a co-acting call-on arm but it's how I envisioned coding my route indicator "under the hood".

Asset maker, wagon builder, route builder among others.
albinopigeon
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Carinthia » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:59 am

AndiS wrote:I would be interested in learning about the prototype here. I only know the GWR variant where each of the route indicator stencils moves the stop arm when it is moved. I would not know how you would move the call-on arm instead, from a mechanical implementation perspective.

But I have half as much information on the SR, I admit.

If I understand what has been described correctly, a prototype example could be at the entrance to a terminal station where both the stop arm and the calling-on arm below it would inform the driver to which platform they are being admitted using a route indicator. The physical process of doing this could be done in several ways, but perhaps the most common was to operate the route indicator from a separate lever in the signal box which would be operated just prior to operating the required signal.

A SR example of a signal of this type was at Weymouth (in this instance electrically worked) and has been implemented in TS using Mark Brinton's scripting in the "Southampton to Weymouth" route available at Steam Sounds Supreme. An extract of the signalling plan showing this can be seen here:
https://433shop.co.uk/index.php?route=p ... ct_id=7585

Hope this helps,

John
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby AndiS » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:04 am

Thanks, electrically sounds plausible. Funny how little documentation I can find about this Weymouth signal, like locking table or anything like that. I should retire and go study the ton of SRS Research Notes idling on my disk, maybe. But my boss will disagree.

Anyway, with my scripts, I was glad enough to get the main aspect sequences right. I saw both call-on arm and indicator as extras to the stop arm. With some luck I got the indicator working with the "dependent disks" (in my terminology) - you see indicators at ground signals quite a bit.

If I ever touch this again, I will think about a "can do all" signal that is freely configurable. But it will be very hard to configure given all the crazy things that happen in this game under the hood.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Return to Route Creation