The Friargate Line

Re: The Friargate Line

Postby briyeo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 am

Just when you think you have got away with it, someone turns up with the drawings. :D

briyeo
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 am

It's been a long time since the last post but there hasn't been a lot happening, I'm afraid. I've been working on the area between Awsworth and Kimberley whenever the mood takes me but Kimberley itself is going to be a nightmare so I'm avoiding that as much as I can. The issue is the sandstone the station and its surroundings are cut into, which leads to more or less vertical sides to cuttings. I haven't worked out how to do those yet but there's still a lot that needs to be done. This is what I'm up against. The line crossed the road about half way along Main Street.

Main Street Kimberley.jpg
Main Street today

A lot of the line between Awsworth Junction and Kimberley sat on an embankment or high ground so you can see for a long way in both directions. It was quite rural in the fifties so there is a lot of ground to lay with hedges and then ground to paint. I suspect that a lot of it would have been grazing but acres of meadow would be just as boring as doing nothing so I'm experimenting. So far there isn't much new to show, at least that you'll notice.

On a more positive note we finally came across a clear picture of one of the two types of roof support at Derby Friargate and it's in colour! Friargate is not well represented in the photographic archive and we don't want to use too much guesswork or risk having to redo significant parts of a building when, as it will, new evidence comes to light. This piqued Brian's interest and he came up with this lovely piece of work. I think he's captured the almost lace-like feel perfectly. There is a second type of support that ran up into the pitch of the roof at right angles to these. That's quite a different design so we are still hoping to find something better than we have.

Friargate roof supports.jpg
Friargate roof not long before it closed.

Roof support type 1.jpg
Support for the horizontal timbers of the roof.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am

Fantastic attention to detail! The modelled frame with the alpha'd latice work in it should look very effective in game.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

These supported the horizontal timbers under the roof. There were others, a completely different shape, that supported the 14 pitches or, perhaps, the horizontal timber at the apex of each pitch. This is the best photo we have of the others. Brian might be able to come up with something from it but he hates bodging things because it always seems to bite you on the backside eventually.

The problems with modelling Friargate are down to its location - on a viaduct away from public roads - and the overall roof so images showing the platform buildings make rocking-horse muck look like a common sight! Brian's musing about trying to make the entire station and, probably, the amazing bridges over Friar Gate as one model. It makes my head ache to think about it.

Derby Friargate 1964 just before closure.jpg

friargate-bridge-with-trolleybus_14989904121_o.jpg

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby jp4712 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:40 pm

I am in ecstasy looking at that lower picture...

Paul
jp4712
General Shed Duties

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:59 pm

It's very evocative of the late 1950s, isn't it? It's post-1958, when the station was repainted from what I think was the first (1924-37) LNER colour scheme of dark brown and stone into LM Region maroon and cream. It can't be later than 1967 when the trolley buses stopped running.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 am

There was a wide section of embankment near Ilkeston GNR goods shed that never had tracks laid on it. From this 1949 aerial shot it looks as if it was used for engineers' stores and that the area was secured by a high fence that was creosoted from the colour so was probably made from old sleepers or something very similar. I can remember quite a few of these in the fifties when I was growing up. I can't find a suitable loft in the UKTS archives. Can anyone point me towards one?

Keith
Ilkeston 1949 section.jpg
Cotmanhay Road in Ilkeston in 1949. Images cropped from Britain From Above photo.

Cotmanhay Road.jpg
My WIP version of the same area.
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:56 pm

I discovered I can record video using the NVidia software so I used that when I ran a test scenario earlier today as much as anything to see what turned up. Here is, via YouTube, for your delectation and delight a run between Kimberley and Ilkeston. It's very much WIP but I hope you'll enjoy seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Sqp5GKMjE

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby FoggyMorning » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:24 pm

That is some seriously impressive route building
FoggyMorning
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Now this is really amazing. Makes me sweat. :oops: