Postby Pauls » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Fantastic work everyone !!

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Re: The Friargate Line

Postby briyeo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:30 pm

This wasn't really made for the route, I always wanted to make an old country garage like the ones I remember from my youth !950's/1960's. You pull up at the pump and soon an old man with a stoop and a glass eye was at the side of your vehicle asking what fuel you wanted and how many gallons, you couldn't buy litres in the good old days. At first his appearance concerns you a little, but no need to worry he turns out to be the nicest person you will ever meet on a garage forecourt. 20 or so years serving you petrol for all the strange modes of transport that you have owned over that period, looking after you when the petrol shortages came by not applying the "2 gallons only per customer" on the hand painted sign. Then it was all gone, new houses now stand were the garage once plied it's trade. I now have to fill my car myself, get diesel all over my hands, walk 50 yards to the shop and pay with my card while the man behind the counter all but ignores me.

briyeo
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Looks amazing, but makes me quite sad as well :cry:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Peter Goodearl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 pm

That's very nice, well done!

I had similar thoughts just a few weeks ago when I found a 'garage' marked on the map close to my track.

I decided it would be set when some garages sold multiple brands of petrol. Driving in over a 'hose pipe' rang a bell somewhere in the depths of the workshop. Eventually a mechanic would come out, wiping his hands on a bit of rag. Before the Star rating was introduced petrol companies had different ideas about how they named the various octanes: 'Super' or 'Extra' or something. Four gallons at 4 and six, the attendant takes a pound note, disappears back into the workshop and takes long time looking for change.

Later, the fun was to risk running out of fuel while holding out for a garage offering at least treble Green Shield Stamps.

Regards

Peter Goodearl
Peter Goodearl
General Shed Duties

Postby briyeo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:00 pm

My first trip to a petrol station was in 1968 with my Lambretta, it was 2 stroke of course and the pump to deliver the correct ration of oil and petrol was hand pumped by a lever on the side. I only wanted a gallon but it seemed to take ages and I felt a bit sorry for the chap doing it.
briyeo
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 am

I remember my parents collecting Green Shield Stamps. I also remember being more concerned about whether it was a National Garage and whether I was going to get a free Smurf when Dad went and paid for it :lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby johny » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 am

briyeo wrote:My first trip to a petrol station was in 1968 with my Lambretta, it was 2 stroke of course and the pump to deliver the correct ration of oil and petrol was hand pumped by a lever on the side. I only wanted a gallon but it seemed to take ages and I felt a bit sorry for the chap doing it.

Snap! In my case it was 1956 with a Lambretta LD, petrol was rationed (Suez crisis), I never used the ready-mix pump but always two shots of oil from a dispenser and then a gallon of leaded, sparking plug didn't whisker as quickly as with the ready-mix.

John
johny
General Shed Duties

Postby briyeo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:06 pm

"Smurfs" Pete? I sometimes forget how young you are. :) I remember when garages were giving away glasses with petrol, my brother had a 3.3 litre Vauxhall Cresta PC at the time so we had a house full of all shapes and sizes of glasses, I still have a few of them.
briyeo
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:18 am

briyeo wrote:"Smurfs" Pete? I sometimes forget how young you are. :) I remember when garages were giving away glasses with petrol, my brother had a 3.3 litre Vauxhall Cresta PC at the time so we had a house full of all shapes and sizes of glasses, I still have a few of them.

Sorry about my youthfulness :lol:
And glasses?! You have given me a thought on how to fix the NHS!
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 pm

In my first proper job, in the mid-seventies, when travelling to sites we had a Vauxhall lorry to take our instrumentation, large equipment and tools. The instruments tended to be fragile so it had a petrol engine, which was felt to tick over more smoothly than a diesel, so that we didn't shake anything to bits. It did no more than nine to the gallon and had a fourteen-gallon tank. Every time we filled up at a garage giving eight-fold stamps you got enough to wallpaper the bathroom yet I never did manage to collect enough to get any gift in the catalogue!

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Route Creation