Yorkshire in the 1960's

Re: Yorkshire Coal

Postby almark » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm

JamesLit wrote:
almark wrote:
JamesLit wrote:Oh now this is lovely..... :o How did I not notice this thread before?! I must be blind! I've been missing out on all this lovely routey goodness! :x Lovely images Mark. Great work!

Haha,I've not posted in it for year,that might be why! ;) Thanks for the kind comments James.

Well perhaps, but the first post in here you made this year was a couple of days ago, and I'm on here for hours every day! :lol:

Haha,well keep your eyes peeled for updates then! ;)
almark
Full Time Fireman

Postby almark » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Royston 8F 48670 rolls down the 1 in 150 towards Featherstone on a silent morning in July 1956.

Cheers,
Mark
almark
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Awesome stuff Mark, now subscribed to the thread as well. :D
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby almark » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 am

Cheers James!
almark
Full Time Fireman

Postby almark » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Still working away on this route.

Here we have a glorious summer's evening at Sandal and Walton station,the line ahead leads towards Normanton and ultimately Leeds whilst Royston and the south are behind us. The chimney/complex dominating the background is Walton Colliery and (not really visible) between us and the colliery running from left (Wakefield) to right (Doncaster) is the Great Northern Line to Leeds/London Kings Cross. This was the only point where the GNL and MML crossed each other (on a bridge in around 1/2 mile north of Sandal and Walton station).

Cheers,
Mark
almark
Full Time Fireman

Postby tomhas2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Cracking detail here mark !
TPR Team
The Northern Lines + The Transpennine Route
Flexity2 Tram Driver @ Blackpool Transport
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhas2trains/
tomhas2
Passed Fireman

Postby Stone75 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Love what your doing here Mark and enjoyed reading through your progress. I'm very much out of the loop with all trainsim stuff due to work more than anything so not seen this before. The recent news of Kellingley closure truly saddens the heart, an end of an era. Great that the industry is captured so well in routes like yours and others around here. Love the network feel to it also, rather than a linear route. One to keep an eye on ;)

Stephen
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby almark » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Done more work in the last day or two,I should point out that Walton Colliery (as with a number of the collieries) is semi fictional and I hope the layout somewhat resembles the reality (certainly track layouts are very close to the originals). Sadly images that are available of the colliery(es) are somewhat limited,especially in my time frame (around 1960),so I have done the best I can using OS maps,my dads knowledge,websites and the assets available in TS (again somewhat limited).

Here are a couple of images of the link line up from the colliery to the MML exchange sidings.

Cheers,
Mark
Last edited by almark on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almark
Full Time Fireman

Postby almark » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Stone75 wrote:Love what your doing here Mark and enjoyed reading through your progress. I'm very much out of the loop with all trainsim stuff due to work more than anything so not seen this before. The recent news of Kellingley closure truly saddens the heart, an end of an era. Great that the industry is captured so well in routes like yours and others around here. Love the network feel to it also, rather than a linear route. One to keep an eye on ;)

Stephen

Cheers Stephen,indeed,very sad to see the era come to an end,such a special one in this area too,as this route will prove.
almark
Full Time Fireman

Postby almark » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Here is the first shot taken on the GN line from Leeds towards Doncaster,here 60008 is seen as it roars past Walton Colliery (wagons visible in headshunt on the right) with an Up Express to London in 1960,by this point it had already reached 70mph,even though it was only 3 miles out of Wakefield Westgate,this was thanks to the steep downhill gradient away from Westgate station. The gradient changes to 1 in 150 uphill as the train passes under the bridge in the background,and remains that way for around 3 miles,note the 8F on the Midland Main Line above,with a rake of coal wagons bound for the east.

Cheers,
Mark
almark
Full Time Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to Route Creation