Charnwood Forest Railway

Re: Charnwood Forest Railway

Postby Pauls » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Here is a quick experiment with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) - there is no ambient occlusion painted on the textures as I do with Train Simulator - the building at Snells Nook is straight out of Sketchup 8 - the grass blows in the wind which actually looks quite nice - I have switched off the grass casting shadows to preserve frame rates - there are a couple of issues with the model such as some polygons are facing the wrong way and I've not yet figured how to export polygon smoothing groups - UE4 is using CM so the model arrives in UE4 100 times smaller than it should be unless I scale it x 100 on import. The transfer from Sketchup to UE4 was relatively pain free compared to getting it into Train Simulator.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Pauls » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:15 pm

No progress with the model itself - just experimenting with vegetation in UE4......

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Stone75 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Looks like grass to me, nice and whispy. I like how it stays with the embankment. Very nice.

Stephen
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Now that looks like an embankment to me, for the first time. I have always been depressed about the way plants are shown in RW. It looks like UE4 makes some big improvements possible. Note the 'UE4', not 'TSW' as it seems to depend on how much you invest yourself into the asset. Whether the 'default grass' will look as good out of the box will be seen some time this year.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Pauls » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Stephen, Andi,

As you can tell I'm rather pre-occupied about the realism of the grass vegetation which features so heavily in our European railway scenes - I've never been happy with it until now - So it's been fun to experiment with what is possible - even nicer this grass sways in the UE4 wind in a very realistic manner - sadly my screen shot doesn't show this aspect - I pray that TSW will allow much of what UE4 allows - UE4 is VERY powerful - the grass is sprayed onto the ground and onto mesh - you can set a random scale factor, set random rotation and you can decide if it should be vertical or if it should be normal to the mesh allowing a random un-patterned effect. If TSW will allow UE4 assets then everyone can achieve this standard of grass vegetation - there are lots of free or cheap UE4 assets - so fingers crossed is that TSW is as open as UE4.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Previous

Return to Route Creation