Restoring a track tile

Restoring a track tile

Postby JamesLit » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi all,

It's not a particularly crucial thing, but I have a clone of a route which has been modified. I'd like to return one particular track tile to its original condition, whilst keeping all my other altered ones the same.

I have a few of my own ideas but I know that I also need to do something with Tracks.bin as well to cut out the new contents of the tile and replace with the originals.

The only thing on the tile is a curved section made up of several pieces - in the original it's made with easements and superelevated, but the edited version is made up of a different number of sections laid without easements and superelevation.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Re: Restoring a track tile

Postby hertsbob » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:18 am

Apologies if this reply is too late for you, but if you want to return the particular section to the easement curve(s) then it's relatively easy without hacking files, and certainly more straightforward than doing it the other way round.

If you note down the easement and curve radii and lengths from the original version you should be able to recreate it in the clone and replace the section in question as long as you re-lay the track using these values exactly (not forgetting to reproduce the gradients too). It's actually more complicated to explain than it is to do!

I can expand on this if needs be.

Cheers

Bob
hertsbob
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:50 am

That's a bloody good suggestion, Bob, but unfortunately I've been unable to recreate one of the curves - the original one has the radius showing as 1.$. This is the very start of the curve coming away from the straight. It's a very, very slight curve, but the only sort of curve it will let me do is extremely tight. It seems something is not quite "there"..... something is being ignored or not factored in, when it should be, perhaps? :?
JamesLit
Driver

Postby hertsbob » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:03 pm

One tries one's best (occasionally). :)

There are essentially three sections to each curve, the two easements (one in and one out) and the curve itself in the middle. The easement out of the curve will always display as 1$ so this simply suggests that the track was laid in the opposite direction than you're trying to recreate it in. This shouldn't theoretically matter as the 1$ radius should be the same as the curve before it. Or after it, in your case. ;)
Dollar.jpg

Dollar2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Bob
hertsbob
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:10 pm

I understand that Bob - and thank you for the diagrams - but it literally will not actually allow me to lay track of anywhere near that little radius, it wants me to lay ridiculously tight track that the track rule should even allow - under 100m radius.

I'll quickly try a couple of other things and get back to you.

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. :)
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Sadly no luck.

Some context may help - dunno. I'm relaying the curve east of Winston on the W&T network.

Coming out of Winston heading east:
299.2m straight
116.3m straight
19.5m straight
59.7m curve 1.$ (so 714.3m radius)
326m curve 714.3m radius
7.6m curve 714.3m radius
326m curve 818.4m radius
46.5m curve 818.4m radius
98.7m curve 432.6m radius
154.5m straight
Then a series of 9.9-10.1m long straights.

Having done some more checks, it wants to start out with a 50m radius if it's continuing on from straight track, but if I'm placing it afresh, it'll do any radius I want.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby brysonman46 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:10 pm

JamesLit wrote:I understand that Bob - and thank you for the diagrams - but it literally will not actually allow me to lay track of anywhere near that little radius, it wants me to lay ridiculously tight track that the track rule should even allow - under 100m radius.

I'll quickly try a couple of other things and get back to you.

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. :)

If you wish to lay track with a track rule that does not allow tight curves, choose one that does, lay the track, then go to tracks bin and change the new tracks rule for the old. I do it all the time, using the Newc-York yard, or for tighter the Haag-Sieg (remembering to turn off the electrification!). I have handy text files where I keep the necessary lines, and use RW_Tools to do the find and replace.

PS you must remember to change the track back to main line from Yard
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Good advice there as well, but the track rule I'm using is the same as what was originally used to lay the track, and I am indeed using the same setting it was laid with, which is of course main line. Very confused why it is forcing such tight curves on me even with easements. I didn't think it would even allow them to be that tight with easements!
JamesLit
Driver

Postby hertsbob » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:22 am

Done some digging about to try and suss out what's happening here, and it's kind of my bad. In my defence, I would say that this was done about six years ago which was obviously before I really knew what I was doing! :? I can no longer remember what I thought I was doing either, so please don't ask! :lol:

However. I've trawled through my backups and it was laid with the main line settings thus:
Code: Select all
<MainLineTrackLimits>
            <iTrackRulesBlueprint-sCurvatureLimits>
               <MaxSpeedTolerance d:type="sUInt32">70</MaxSpeedTolerance>
               <MinRadius d:type="sUInt32">400</MinRadius>

WVR_TrackRule.xml
(9.52 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

Like I said, don't ask how the track rule got changed about. :roll:

As long as you change the MaxSpeedTolerance to 70 you should find the recreation will work; the MinRadius is academic in this case.
TrackRule.jpg

If I were doing somthing weird with a track rule nowadays I'd tend to just serz the .bin file, change the .xml values and then serz it back again, which is basically what RWTools is doing beneath the hood, I believe. But the net result is the same.

Good luck!

Bob
hertsbob
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:16 pm

Excellent stuff Bob - thank you!

Got there in the end! Took three goes to get the lengths right.

JamesLit
Driver

Next

Return to Route Creation