Sand skips tipping into wagons from a bridge - how might this be modelled?

Sand skips tipping into wagons from a bridge - how might this be modelled?

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Although this is related to the Friargate Line, I've started a new thread in case this might help anyone else. There must be other lines where something similar was done.

I have restarted work on the route but found it hard to get back into painting the terrain at West Hallam - as always! - so I decided to play with the signals along the GCR and from Bagthorpe Junction to Basford North for a change of scenery. Although they aren't perfect, they're not too bad for a work in progress so I decided to carry on towards Derby. And found something interesting along the way.

As well as some interchange sidings for Watnall Colliery, at Nuthall there were also a couple of sidings used to bring sand to Stanton Ironworks from the company's own quarry. It appears that the area of the sidings was itself once a quarry but, presumably when that worked out, at least one other was opened on the other side of the line and a narrow-gauge line was laid to bring the sand to the railway. In the RCTS book by Alfred Henshaw, one photo shows side-tipping wagons of the type in Richard Maxted's pack UKTS 27184 at the top of the embankment.

One of the OS maps at old-maps.co.uk shows the arrangement. I read it that the n-g trains came in from the top left of the attached screen-grab, ran into a head-shunt and then reversed onto a bridge to discharge into what I guess would be Stanton's own wagons. I have not been able to find any photos of the sidings themselves so I have no idea what it might have looked like. It could be ages before I get back to this section but I wonder whether anyone has any ideas about how this might have looked? I would guess that the bridge over the main line and up to the unloading point would be quite lightweight and reckon that the discharge arrangement could be as simple as a chute on one side of the gantry so that the wagons could simply be tipped and the sand slide into the waiting wagon.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to run a scenario with this so I'm not fussed about working loading points but I'd like it to look reasonable, obviously. Any thoughts or, better still, examples of similar arrangements?

Keith
Attachments
Nuthall Sand Sidings.jpg
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Return to Route Creation