Lyme Regis Branch

Lyme Regis Branch

Postby RobertM » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Evening all,

With the SDR route coming to a close I am starting to think about next route. One route that has caught my imagination is the Lyme Regis branch thanks to DT Radial tank currently in production and a fond memory of it being one of my favorite routes from my MSTS days. Now I have already DEM'd the route, and laid some of the track, nothing worth showing yet though.

This is where I need some help. As I am sure most of you are aware I am no novice to the TS route editor, but one area I am novice in is building routes that no longer exist and as such cant just use the Google Earth overlay like I would on a current day route. So my main question is what is the best way to make a fairly accurate route representation of a railway that is gone. So far I have used Google Earth to lay the track on the countryside areas, as the trackbed is still fairly intact and noticeable from above but I am not sure how to lay the stations & yards seeing as there a shadow of there former selves and are mostly gone.

So how do you know what buildings, roads & forests ect do you know need to be placed? In asking this I assume there are some websites that have these maps?

Robert
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Re: Lyme Regis Branch

Postby Pauls » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi Robert,

Get a short term account with http://www.old-maps.co.uk and use the 1/2500 OS maps

You can also get vertical aerial photos from the Britain From Above site run by the National Monument Record - if you're lucky they may also have aerial oblique photo's as well.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Peter Goodearl » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Do you have the Middleton Press book for the branch?
All the one I have contain station maps, old photos and a track profile.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Branch+Line+to+Lyme+Regis

You may find the Old-Maps site is now quite usable without a subscription, or at least a current one.

regards

Peter
Peter Goodearl
General Shed Duties

Postby brysonman46 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Peter Goodearl wrote:You may find the Old-Maps site is now quite usable without a subscription, or at least a current one.

regards

Peter

It certainly is. If you use the PrtSc function to grab them, together with a suitable graphics program (such as Paint . net), then you can turn the images into decals. These can be used in conjunction with Google Earth to synchronise roads, rivers, buildings, etc, to resize the decals and place them accurately. Has worked for me on several routes set in early BR times.

Good luck

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Antony Perks » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 pm

what i now do, rather than use rw decal, is to use the ctrlG overlay in game, and just plot the route you can see with the big brick chimneys in game then go back and lay track etc to the route of your chimneys. I have in the past built the route but it got deleted for some reason that escapes me, there from memory is only the 1 intermediate station and this still show the boundry outline to this day, i think the end load dock is still there too, only problem i found was all the trres in the vicinity of the Cannington viaduct which put the dem out a fair way, but this is get overable.

I have the seaton branch well under way, with track laid at all three stations all the way to the mainline.
Antony Perks
General Shed Duties

Return to Route Creation