Overheating graphics in route editor

Overheating graphics in route editor

Postby Dave Fennessy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi folks, been a bit quiet on the forum but I'm still soldiering on with route creation and asset building when time allows. Finally treated myself to a better graphics card before Xmas with Train Sim World very much in mind. Now I know I'm going to get people saying oh you shouldn't have bought that you should have bought X, well I bought it now :lol:

Its an AMD Radeon RX480, because I like Radeon cards in general and they were giving away a free copy of Civ 6 with it so who was I to argue. I'm very happy with it in general, I mean I did install it at first with the plastic protector still over the fan so the blades didn't move and thought, cor, this runs so hot its shutting my PC down :oops: Some conservative tweaking with the overclocking software means I'm getting a healthy frame rate with TS up to 90fps in open sections. Temp hovers quite nicely 75-80C. I'm one of those paranoid anxious humans who keeps an eye on those sort of things instead of just cracking on with life and enjoying the bloody game. Now when in the route editor the temp starts climbing sometimes up to 87C. I know that even though that's hot it's still no reason to panic as long as it doesn't keep getting hotter, but I panic. I know my card will protect itself if it goes nuclear but I'm still chewing my nails. Does your rigs graphics labour in the editor?

I'd also be quite interested to know what settings you run the game at. Having watched several videos on the topic I settled on mine and they work best for me:
Dynamic Lighting ON. Clouds OFF. Anti-Aliasing FXAA + 8 x MSAA. Texture filtering Anisotropic x 8. Graphics Sliders between 75-100%
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Re: Overheating graphics in route editor

Postby Terrier060 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi Dave

Although not an expert, I found the greatest increase in speed in my setup was changing to a solid state drive. The larger your monitor, the faster (and more expensive) graphics card you need. I have a NEC Multisync PA271W monitor for photographic work and my graphics card runs pretty hot (NVIDEA GeForce GTX 680) and the fan goes at full blast. Like the car, if I hear any strange noises I just turn the radio up! It is running two monitors but seems to survive. When I am working on the layout, I do not have it maximised to full-screen.

Hope you enjoy the new card - and relax - don't keep feeling the hot air being blown out the back of the PC - it keeps the room warm and saves on heating bills!

Happy New Year

Ed
Terrier060
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Nobkins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm

I would use a frame rate limiter. I can't remember if there was a command line argument to limit the frame rate but most cards offer this option from the driver. Can anyone help with info on a command line argument for TS FPS limiter. No point in cooking your GFX card in the editor!

I can recall the editor getting the GPU very hot. I am sure there is a command line FPS limit as the menu screens used to cook my GPU so I think I used one. Not loaded TS in over nearly 2 years so can't remember what it was.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Dave Fennessy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Nobkins wrote: Not loaded TS in over nearly 2 years so can't remember what it was.

I nearly spat my cornflakes out when I read that!
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby phutton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi Jim
Two years and no TS
The twins must be keeping you busy, any way who needs a train sim when you have big trains to drive.
Hope your driving career is going well
Peter H (coniston branch)
phutton
General Shed Duties

Postby Stone75 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Hey. Not used the sim for quite a while myself but did have the same problem back in the day. You used to be able to put a frame limiter into steam but they seem to have disabled it. How I limit it now is as follows....

Create a shortcut for Railworks from the application within your Railworks directory. The one autocreated when you install the game will not work.
Right click and go to properties, then click the shortcut tab.
On the target line it should have the following command "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\RailWorks.exe" -FPSLimit=30 -SetFOV=90

As you can see I have both a FPS limit and FOV command in the line. They have to have the capitals as shown to work iirc but you can set your limit to what you wish. Click APPLY and you should be done.
You can check if it worked in game SHIFT Z iirc. This should work for other games too although on one of my games, a box outline appears and does nothing, if you open steam its actually asking if you wish to run the program with the commands you entered above, click yes and away you go.

Hope it helps. I just fired up TS to check and realised its the first time 2017 has been run on my system :roll:

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:52 pm

phutton wrote:who needs a train sim when you have big trains to drive.
Hope your driving career is going well

You know, he just makes sure to drive career mode scenarios only. Must be quite some list of achievements he got on his list. Just imaging real-world drivers would run around like generals with all the patches on their breast, "honked 100 times" and "300 times up and down the same route without falling asleep".

The good thing about not starting the game too often is that you can easily keep out of the "oh I'll loose my investment" depression that will hit quite a few.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Dave Fennessy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for the help people. Entering an FPS limit of 60 has stopped my card going bananas in Route edit mode. I did it through Steams launch options so they must have put it back in at some point.
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Return to Route Creation