Arosa Line

Arosa Line

Postby BigVern » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:14 am

I'm hesitating to buy this at full price due to the short length and modern Allegra "kart" era.

However from a developer's perspective can anyone confirm if Thomson have locked down the assets to prevent re-use in third party projects, as they have done on some of their other routes? I've got a raft of potential MG/NG projects and the ability to re-use key resources might be the difference between a what the heck full price purchase or waiting patiently for the next sale.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: Arosa Line

Postby DPSimulation » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:36 pm

What do you mean by 'locked down' Vern? I'm aware of many Thomson assets being unavailable to select once placed, but this is remedied by simply editing the .bin file.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby BigVern » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 am

DPSimulation wrote:What do you mean by 'locked down' Vern? I'm aware of many Thomson assets being unavailable to select once placed, but this is remedied by simply editing the .bin file.

That's what I meant Darren. Someone did respond to my similar question at TS regarding the bin file which (you would have thought) if it makes the obstacle easy to overcome, why do the devs bother imposing the restriction in the first place?!

What the heck. found I had some credit on Steam from my birthday, so bought it anyway. I'll report/review later.
BigVern
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 pm

To be honest, what I think is the reason for this is not to make things difficult, but quite the opposite - for them. When route editing, when using such large objects that combine a large area/number of objects into one, it does of course make things much easier to get that collection of things in the right place as you're only moving one object to do so. The downside of this is that when you're editing the rest of the scene, it's incredibly easy to end up selecting/moving/rotating etc that humongous object by mistake - so they place it, position it, then make it unpickable so that they can't select it by mistake when continuing to create and edit in that area.

Most logical explanation for me. :) They just don't change them back, because I guess they can't see why anyone would want to reuse such specific assets in other things, or perhaps simply because they can't be bothered. :P
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby BigVern » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:56 pm

I understand that James, but the first item I tried was a fairly generic building which couldn't be selected again after placement. Whether it's for this purpose or my more pragmatic view, obviously as developer entirely their prerogative but a bit annoying when you think a route will yield some useful assets for your own (freeware) work and it doesn't! Never mind...
BigVern
Driver

Return to Route Creation