Signalling with AndiS Scripts

Signalling with AndiS Scripts

Postby Widewanderer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Greetings everyone!

Eighteen months, or so, ago, AndiS released some, as it's turned out for me, really EXCELLENT scripts for signalling in TS20xx. These scripts are primarily aimed at semaphore signalling, but there are versions which work, to a reasonable extent, with colour light signals, too. Sadly, maybe due to quite a steep initial learning curve with their use, these scripts seem to have been just lying around gathering dust; a REAL SHAME, because with a bit of study and effort, I have found them to be LOADED with a range of really nice new features, adding considerably to the realism of signalling in TS, and DEALING ONCE AND FOR ALL with the nasty behaviour of the old "default" signals, whereby signals passed in a reverse direction tended to clear automatically behind the train. That's something that to me feels...well...just plain WRONG :| Add to that the fact that, with a bit of manipulation of signal blueprints in RW_Tools, and the writing of a few lines of (very simple!) LUA script, just about any signal model can be fitted up to be powered by Andi's scripts, AND there is the flexibility to create "composite" models for all sorts of complex signals (using signal parts already common in the TS Community) for all sorts of complex junctions. I have been playing around in TS for some five years now, and I struggle to understand why signalling seems to have been a subject no-one has been particularly willing to tackle, except for the likes of AndiS and Mark Brinton - a shame, when good signalling adds SO MUCH to the immersive realism of any route. (Apologies if I'm starting to rant...I promise to be a good boy from here onward!)

AndiS has also created tools for scenario writers - he calls them "Movement Predictors" - these are used to control the behaviour of signals during scenarios, for example, in reversing movements and to control calling-on arms.

There are a couple of us - particularly, so far, myself (Widewanderer) and Auscgu (recently arrived here in TrainSimDev), along with Andi himself - who have been working on implementing AndiS scripts, and I am wondering if there are any more devs out there who might be interested in giving these rather fine scripts a whirl in their projects...? Through the threads here in TrainSimDev, we could form something of a "users' group", mutually supporting each other through the learning curve associated with getting started with these scripts, and then reaping what I strongly believe will be considerable benefits in the upgrading of the signals we use in our projects.

Whaddya think, folks?

I have been working with RobertM on a version of the signalling in his "South Devon Railway" route, and included in that, I have a couple of .pdf documents, intended to try and ease the learning curve associated with using AndiS's scripts; these are on my web server, and I can provide links for downloading to anyone interested in having a read. Aside from that, I've had plenty of success with John Yelland's GWR and BR(WR) signals, Anthony Brailsford's LNW and Lattice signals, also colour lights in the UKPro and Just Trains Modern Signals sets. Most of my personal projects have revolved around resignalling payware routes (just for my own entertainment), but now, with encouragement from AndiS, I am turning my attention towards projects on other freeware routes out there. Again, if any of you are interested in a resignalling project for your route, please let me know.

OK, folks - here's hoping to be hearing from some of you soon.

Best wishes,
Rob :-D

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Signalling with AndiS Scripts

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 am

I have to say that this is very exciting and although being nought but a humble loco builder, so I can't really offer much in the way of route construction, if I hear that any of my contacts are route building (and who aren't stuck using the DTG defaults!) I will point them this way.
I'd still be interested in reading more about "how to", simply because I'm a huge nerd who likes to learn new things :lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby AndiS » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 am

Abbreviated cookbook for the fellow nerd: :lol:

1) Get best available information about the real signalling of the route.

2) Yank out all existing the signals.

3) Signal each group of points/switches with invisible junction signals called Switch Wrapers in such a way that each and every shunting move is covered by the signalling. This ensures that the game will never more be surprised by train movements.

4) Plan the best signal you can imagine for each location and piece it together from any of the available parts. Or help yourself in the ever growing library for standard cases.

5) This (real) signal will have but one track link which means if you don't like it, you replace it easily, without messing with numbered links delicately switched in between track ribbon joints again.

6) In complex cases, you can get a lot of extras from the signals by entering letters from the cheat sheet on the last page of the reference manual in the properties box. But in most cases, the behaviour without any such configuration is just what you want.

7) In scenario editor, use a handful of helper objects called Movement Predictors to let the signals know what is going to happen. This is only needed when the train reverses or when you enter occupied track and similar situations.

Notes:

(1) is slightly optional if you are in a hurry and you know how signals are placed in general.

(2) to (5) can be performed station by station. No need to clean out the whole route first. But if you test intermediate stages, be sure to put translator objects between the old signalling and the new.

You can still use 1T, 2T etc. signals if you like. Wrappers are a helpful invention for complex junctions and not compulsory at all.

If you really do this, please look at the reference manual before going too far. No need to read it completely, but there are some valuable bits that I did not reproduce here.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Widewanderer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

Brilliant post, Andi!

That's your signalling system in a nutshell - couldn't have been better summarised! :D

It's a great system, folks - well worth spending the time getting to know it.

Cheers, and good luck everyone.

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 pm

I've often thought that you were a bloody genius Andi, it's nice to see it confirmed here!
And now I REALLY want to go and play with some route signalling! Why is there never enough time in life?! :lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Auscgu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 am

Peter
Wherry's line has AndiS signals system installed
If your looking for a quick path to a route with signals installed
BR Blue but the signals are so different to the norm
Such a pleasure to see the signals respond as they should

Love the approach control
Considering the limitations of Train Sim the signal script is excellent
I admire his patience and support
Now to see the detailed signals added to a steam route
Auscgu
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 pm

I must point out that if Pete had not pointed me to scenario-specific signals, I would never have resumed my work on these scripts. I still wonder how I overcame the frustration caused by the game design. Movement predictors (which technically are scenario-specific signals) are a little glimpse of hope to cover up all the things that will never work.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Widewanderer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Talking of "scenario-specific signals", I've found it very useful to create a stop signal that can be placed in scenarios, buried beneath the ground if required.

I've started fiddling around with the signalling on "West Somerset Railway Members' Edition", and could not, for the life of me, get the newly scripted AndiS-signals to behave properly when trying to model a run-round move at Blue Anchor (as happens with WSR's "Sunset Special" in the summer months - at least, it did whilst I was a signalman at Williton!). Blue Anchor (BA) is a simple passing loop, but with the section signals in both directions at the ends of the platforms - here, no advanced starter is available in advance of the loop to act as the section signal. It seemed that as soon as I introduced reversal-type Movement Predictors into the mix, I couldn't get the section signals at the platforms to come off properly (for the record, I do have the siding entry switches at Dunster and Washford, which lie outside station limits of any 'box, fully wrapped under AndiS's scheme). Extensive experimentation suggested that reversal-type MPs cause problems when they are located beyond the section signal (?), with the next signal along being a plain distant for the next 'box (any thoughts, Andi?). My solution was to put in a "temporary" advanced starter signal in each direction (using my newly-created "scenario-specific" stop signal, buried beneath the scenery, and with the signal configuration generally left at Andi's defaults, this had the effect, I think, of moving the section signal in advance of the MPs for that scenario. Now the MPs and signals behaved as I would expect them to :-) Yay!

So there ya go - I hope this might be the first of plenty of anecdotes which might help others who have a go at fiddling with AndiS-powered signals to avoid any tearing out of hair, the very reason I thought this forum thread might be useful.

Oh, whilst I'm on, does anyone know who to contact with regard to the original creators of the Members' Edition of WSR?

Cheers!

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Strange case with the MP beyond the section signal and a ground frame or distant to follow. I don't know why there should be problems. Maybe I get around building a test route on the weekend. But don't put much money on that.

Could you show (or send) a screenshot or give a list of the precise sequence, starting with the signal for the opposite direction that is to be cleared by the reversing MP? I don't own the route and the diagrams from the 50ies don't help here.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Widewanderer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am

Andi, I've already set up a little test route that simulates the situation I've described at Blue Anchor. I'm out on the road today, and away from the PC, but will send you all the files for this test route over the weekend. Watch your PMs for the link to the download :o That way, you'll be able to see first-hand what is happening. No sorries at all - with the "work around" I've found, everything is working splendidly. Just thought you might like to partake in the test results I think I have.

Cheers!

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Next

Return to Route Creation