In-game Announcements

In-game Announcements

Postby Aadit Jha » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:41 am

Hi Everyone!
After playing a lot of MSTS, I am now thinking of switching to Railworks or TS as it is known now!
I wanted to ask as the title says, are in game announcements possible in TS??
Like I want to build a Subway route and I want the "next station is..." announcement to be well....announced when the particular station is approaching!
So can this be done in TS??
The announcement should only be audible in passenger and cab view!
I think it can be done but don't know the correct procedure for it!
Didn't know where to put this so I am posting it in Route creation, but i have a feeling that it may have something to do with the Scenarios!
Hope to get a quick reply!
Thanks in Advance!
Aadit
Aadit Jha
General Shed Duties

Re: In-game Announcements

Postby AndiS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:58 am

The way I would do it, if I ever would do it, is this:
Wherever you want an announcement to start, you place a signal object along the track. It has one track link and does nothing but send one user defined message to the train exactly when it passes.
In the cab script (simulation script), you react to receiving this message by playing a sound that is the recorded announcement.
The message can contain different numbers for different messages. So in each location, you enter a different number into the signal ID field in the signal properties box.

No idea about passenger view.

The signal that is only visible in the editor is in fact a signal that has some underground quad as its GeoPcDx shape file ("signal post") that you never see under normal circumstances. Then you add a child blueprint that references a Editor-only object. This is some box or other simple shape that you exported using the Editor-only blueprint type in Blueprint Editor.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 am

As Andi says, triggering a message at a certain point is reasonably easy. I guess the problem would be that the sound is specific to the loco not the "area" so you could only get these sounds running a specifically set up engine that already has all the sounds attached to it.
You can get sounds to play on the trigger itself but they will be audible inside and outside, you can't restrict them to just the engine.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby AndiS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Talking about triggers, there are triggers in scenario editor. I never tried such things, but they could be easier to implement (no need for scripting).
In that case, you would have them specific to a scenario. I guess they are triggered by a certain consist reaching a certain marker (e.g., destination marker)?
It would be even less generic but this could be an advantage if different services need different announcements. E.g., not each service may stop at a given place.

My above idea comes in a simpler form as platform announcement. Then the "signal" itself plays the sound, clearly outside the train but working for all of them without engine scripting. You could differentiate train types via the Get Consist Type call or similar. Each class in the list in Scenario Editor is associated with a number. The system call returns the number, not a string. The table of what is what was floating around somewhere. Let me know if you really are interested.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Aadit Jha » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:59 am

Sounds pretty much interesting!
Thanks Andi and Victor for all the replies, however note that I am a layman when it comes to the things you are talking as I am new to these terms so give me a little time so that I could come back with full information.
I was just curious to know if it is possible and sounds like it is.
Yesterday I was watching a video of class 350 or so on the WCML trent valley route and they have made announcements possible in game. Talking about my route, there would be mainly 6 different lines with 2 up and down trains and one train that terminates earlier. Also every service needs to stop at every station on thee line, no skipping of stations at all. It is totally a metro transit system so yeah different consists need to have different announcement. Also i just need them to work in the career or scenarios.
Thanks again!
Aadit Jha
General Shed Duties

Postby Aadit Jha » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 am

Victor, there would be only a single ( more than one but all of them would be same asset) trainset passing through particular station and so audios being specific to loco wouldn't be a problem for me!
Also Andi, the trains are going to stop at every single station on their way no skipping at all!
Aadit Jha
General Shed Duties

Return to Route Creation