Ajust Catenary Height

Ajust Catenary Height

Postby BigVern » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi guys.

Thought it was time I attempted a route in TS2018. Not going to be too specific but it's an electrified North American freight route for which I set up a custom track rule using Sherman Hill track and the default OP wires. (Okay I know it's old but serves a purpose). One thing I've spotted using the O gantry tool is that the posts place with the arms well above the contact wire. In my track rule I set the wire height to 5.5m as that appears to be the UK default. I've tried amending the track rule to raise the height of the wire but this doesn't seem to be showing a difference in the sim, either on existing track or fresh placement.

Any ideas on this one, please?

Edit: Actually I think I've worked out the problem is if not the solution. On playing around with the catenary post heights I noticed these are being placed above terrain height, but when I "J'd" them level the arm was then below the contact wire. Then it dawned on me - the Sherman Hill track is much chunkier than the original Kuju UK track used on Oxford to Paddington. That catenary system was specifically designed for non 3D track and as such it probably won't be possible to marry up the supports with the wires. I will ponder on the issue but it looks like reverting to diesel operation might be the only answer, just got to rip out 6 miles of catenary posts!!

Edit 2:

Well it seems the German posts have enough of a base section and can be adjusted to match the wire height, albeit each post will need to be dealt with manually.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: Ajust Catenary Height

Postby sumitsingh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:39 pm

In case of Gantry Tool, AFAIK, the wire height depends upon the height of invisible node which is again depend upon the OHE 3D model. These nodes are then connected by loft of wires.
For regular catenary wires height can be adjusted via TrackRule blueprint.

See the image.

So for custom height, you are left with two options.
1. Use of regular old style OHE Equipments of RailWorks era.
2. Make a new set of OHE equipment.

A post on RWA will help you.
http://railworksamerica.com/forum/viewt ... 17&t=12632
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Postby BigVern » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm only using the old Kuju system, Sumit. The new style is very good but a bit fiddly and what's left of my eyesight isn't going to thank me for straining it even further!
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Postby sumitsingh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

I had used the OLD OHE, but when I tried the new Gantry tool, it brought a bit of more realism like return wire and catenary wire support.
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Return to Route Creation