64 Bit And Route Building

64 Bit And Route Building

Postby BigVern » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Bimbling around with the route editor, I discovered that running the 64 bit version of TS appears to overcome the issue of it crashing when trying to import hi-res DEM data around lines of latitude.

However I was wondering how stable 64 bit is as regards route building in general having read previously there were issues. Am I better off working in 32 bit or is 64 bit nice and stable now?
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: 64 Bit And Route Building

Postby brysonman46 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:59 pm

I still prefer to edit routes in 32bit. Last week, I inadvertently went from the Drive to the Edit menu whilst in 64bit, to sort out a signal. Tried to save, and it froze. The route is large (Tracks bin is around 14.4MB), so it was probably having problems decompiling, adding the change, and then recompiling using the 64bit serz app. My co-author, Andy Freeman, deals solely with scenic items, and he still prefers to use 32bit. I am still awaiting someone saying what the advantages would be from editing routes in 64 bit. I write and drive scenarios in 64bit.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby BigVern » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 am

Well 32 bit seems nice and stable not overloading the laptop either - compared to TRS2019 which at times had the fans spinning like a banshee. I've just got to recollect all the processes now!
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Postby Carinthia » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:03 am

I have never loaded TS in any form other than 64-bit since Dovetail fixed the problems with tracks.bin corruption, and use the editor heavily. I have never had a problem and to be honest I can't see why there should be any difference other than the increased memory ability. There are of course all the little quirks that you learn to work round but I suspect these occur in both versions.

John
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Return to Route Creation