Killing Floor 2

Posts relating to any FPS game.

Killing Floor 2

Postby Chris89 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Just been announced over on PC Gamer. The sequel To Tripwire Interactive's Killing Floor Co-Op Zombie Survival game.

Link: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/08/killi ... stem-ever/

Firstly instead of being set in the UK/ London the Zeds have taken the Eurostar over to Paris.

Key Features:
NEW ZED - Cysts, a weaker version of the Clot
19 points of dismemberment
Bloodstains will be permenant for the entire match
95 death animations divided between kill zones
Game Lobby's as well as Server Browser
ALL NEW PERK SYSTEM - Max Level 25, 10 perks, 2 skills unlocked every 5 levels, only once of which can be used from each pair.
NEW DIFFICULTY SYSTEM - Zeds will become more aggressive and gain new abilities as the difficulty increases as opposed to doing more damage, moving faster and having more health.
Each perk will have 4 primary weapons, not including backup melee weapons and "sidegrades"
ALL NEW MELEE SYSTEM - Includes light and heavy attacks, combos, and four way directional swings.
Will include a new SDK and support Steam Workshop.
Uses Unreal Engine 3 along with Tripwire's own lighting engine.
Game will be Early Access

Might seem it but im nothing to do with TWI etc :P Just been looking forward to KF2 for a long time.

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Re: Killing Floor 2

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Chris89 wrote:Firstly instead of being set in the UK/ London the Zeds have taken the Eurostar over to Paris.

I thought you were being serious for a moment and actually laughed out loud reading that. :lol:

It looks like a fun game, and technically very impressive. Perhaps this 20 year old is starting to turn into a bit of an old man, but I'm in two minds about the extreme violence; it doesn't offend or disturb me since it's seems to be very slapstick (well, it says it's not supposed to be very realistic on PCG, otherwise I might think differently), it just seems a bit excessive. If this was a game along the same lines as Rockstar's Manhunt series, I definitely wouldn't like it. But hey, it's good to see the boundaries being pushed out of comfort zones now and then, and as I say, it's certainly clever technology. Wouldn't it be good to apply that tech behind the particle effects and hard-body calculations to a train sim..... 8-)

I shall watch this with interest. :)

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Chris89 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:
Chris89 wrote:Firstly instead of being set in the UK/ London the Zeds have taken the Eurostar over to Paris.

I thought you were being serious for a moment and actually laughed out loud reading that. :lol:

It looks like a fun game, and technically very impressive. Perhaps this 20 year old is starting to turn into a bit of an old man, but I'm in two minds about the extreme violence; it doesn't offend or disturb me since it's seems to be very slapstick (well, it says it's not supposed to be very realistic on PCG, otherwise I might think differently), it just seems a bit excessive. If this was a game along the same lines as Rockstar's Manhunt series, I definitely wouldn't like it. But hey, it's good to see the boundaries being pushed out of comfort zones now and then, and as I say, it's certainly clever technology. Wouldn't it be good to apply that tech behind the particle effects and hard-body calculations to a train sim..... 8-)

I shall watch this with interest. :)

Chris

Haha Good i got a laugh :P

Offical Group: http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090
Game Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232090

I agree with you about the violence as well in games, some are completely over the top and a bit excessive. But if like RO2/RS, KF, RO:OST you will be able to tune down the violence level in the game. Manhunt is one i refuse to play at all. Just don't like what you can do in the game myself.

The Tech is very clever it seems, especially the Dynamic textures for the map etc. Well it is using a heavy modifed UE3 engine so hopefully be able to get similar effects (Of course not violence, blood etc) into TS in future releases etc.

More info is going on PC Gamer US/UK tomorrow on the site, when up i shall post the link.

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Chris89 wrote:The Tech is very clever it seems, especially the Dynamic textures for the map etc. Well it is using a heavy modifed UE3 engine so hopefully be able to get similar effects (Of course not violence, blood etc) into TS in future releases etc.

Unless you hit livestock! :shock:

Sorry... :oops:
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Chris89 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:
Chris89 wrote:The Tech is very clever it seems, especially the Dynamic textures for the map etc. Well it is using a heavy modifed UE3 engine so hopefully be able to get similar effects (Of course not violence, blood etc) into TS in future releases etc.

Unless you hit livestock! :shock:

Sorry... :oops:
Chris

Haha :P I doubt TOC's would be happy with that :P

At least for Dirt, Rain, Snow etc would be good to see.

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Postby Tankski » Sun May 25, 2014 7:49 pm

As an avid Sharpshooter in Killing Floor I look forward to the new zeds and features, especially all the new features such as the blood staining of the map! Unfortunately, it probably won't make it to TS anytime soon, if ever:

The method for the staining probably involves loading the map textures into memory (well, that already happens anyway) and then modifying it on the fly, making sure the engine is notified of any changes. For a single entity (such as a map) this would be fine but for a single consist, each single piece of rolling stock would need to have its own unique texture in memory to load. For example, The power cars would need 2 unique sets of potentially the same textures. This would increase the memory footprint of the game fairly exponentially when you consider the fact you rarely have just a single, 2-car consist in game.

Another issue is due to the fact that the different textures would need to be loaded for each car. I'm not quite educated in how the renderer works (doubt anyone outside of DTG does knows it well) but if I make the assumption that the rendering is batched together to optimise the draw calls (context switches between shaders/textures) this batching would never occur with rolling stock, so the number of draw calls would increase and the frame rate would drop (significantly on lower systems).
Last edited by Tankski on Mon May 26, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tankski
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Chris89 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Tankski wrote:As an avid Sharpshooter in Killing Floor I look forward to the new ones, especially all the new features such as the blood staining of the map! Unfortunately, it probably won't make it to TS anytime soon, if ever:

The method for the staining probably involves loading the map textures into memory (well, that already happens anyway) and then modifying it on the fly, making sure the engine is notified of any changes. For a single entity (such as a map) this would be fine but for a single consist, each single piece of rolling stock would need to have its own unique texture in memory to load. For example, The power cars would need 2 unique sets of potentially the same textures. This would increase the memory footprint of the game fairly exponentially when you consider the fact you rarely have just a single, 2-car consist in game.

Another issue is due to the fact that the different textures would need to be loaded for each car. I'm not quite educated in how the renderer works (doubt anyone outside of DTG does knows it well) but if I make the assumption that the rendering is batched together to optimise the draw calls (context switches between shaders/textures) this batching would never occur with rolling stock, so the number of draw calls would increase and the frame rate would drop (significantly on lower systems).

You hit it on the mark about the blood staining in KF2 at least thats how the TWI dev's have described it as working.

Sadly that would be the issue with a TS using the same format, although it would be nice/ great to see something like that. Just getting dirtier etc during the journey (even if just the player train would be good)
All can hope for is some interesting new things to come for TS in future updates/ releases as never know what may come etc. Especially when they unlock more from the engine (Or when go to a new one etc)

Good Sharpshooters are great to have at anytime. Saved me many times from scrakes when being a firebug or Support (Two fav' roles)

Chris
Chris89
Full Time Fireman

Return to First Person Shooters (FPS)