Re-skinning a DRM protected Loco

The art of taking an existing model and creating new variations.

Re: Re-skinning a DRM protected Loco

Postby RealRails » Fri May 23, 2014 3:12 pm

rfletcher72 wrote:It is not a bug, it is the DRM.

If it is the passenger view that is the crux of the matter, then a good old compromise may be the order of the day - an essential tool in the art of reskinning,

Regards,

In that case, it's not as much as an annoyance now that I know its not a bug that I spent a bit too long trying to fix. And yeah, a compromise is needed, although what if I want to reskin something else in future and have no older versions of the product to use as a compomise. :roll:

Anyway, I'll shut up about DRM etc now :lol:

And thanks Jim for separating the thread :)
Last edited by RealRails on Fri May 23, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RealRails
General Shed Duties

Postby Nobkins » Fri May 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Posts relating to reskinning DRM protected stuff have been split off to a new thread (this thread).
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:23 pm

In my experience, geometry will explode like that whenever the .geopcdx afflicted has been moved out of its original product folder. Did you copy and paste any .geos into a different product folder to get the passenger view? Whilst it is inconvenient for the end user, you can cross reference objects from different providers and products in a blueprint, you just need to remember to tick all of the used product boxes in the scenario editor before placing the rolling stock. It may also not make the items compatible with Quick Drive, sadly.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby RealRails » Fri May 23, 2014 4:50 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:In my experience, geometry will explode like that whenever the .geopcdx afflicted has been moved out of its original product folder. Did you copy and paste any .geos into a different product folder to get the passenger view? Whilst it is inconvenient for the end user, you can cross reference objects from different providers and products in a blueprint, you just need to remember to tick all of the used product boxes in the scenario editor before placing the rolling stock. It may also not make the items compatible with Quick Drive, sadly.

Chris

I can't fully remember now, but I think when I started the reskin I made it in the ECMLS folder, and had similar problems. Or I might not be remembering it correctly because I have had several exams and extensive revision since I made the skin.

I can't see why the geometry wouldn't work right outside its original folder - I had all referenced textures and the required bin files. The Kuju files never go pear shaped when I put them into different folders. :?
RealRails
General Shed Duties

Postby deltic009 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:07 pm

It is possible to have .geo files residing in a different folder along with all relevant texture files to the folder your main .bin file is in and not require any additional providers to be ticked. Just place the .bin for your passenger view where your reskinned mk3 is and make it reference the reskinned .geo files somewhere under their usual provider folders. This is how my decals work for the reskinned DT Mk1s that I have on UKTS. The coaches are in DT/Mk1_coaches/WCRC as well as some .bin files for the West Coast logo decal, but every other element of the decal resides in MWilson/WCRC_decal - I appreciate my stuff doesn't have DRM, but the theory of making the passenger view reskin sit within the original provider folder structure with its own sub folder should mean that DRM isn't an issue.

Of course, the issue you're experiencing could mean I'm wrong, or it isn't DRM, or something else entirely. Importantly you're in the right place to hopefully solve this.

I am part way through making all of my Mk1 stock (there's lots from RSC, DT, JT combined) all use the AP sounds as the usual method of pointing to the original .proxyxml won't be Quick Drive compatible.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Postby RealRails » Fri May 23, 2014 5:25 pm

deltic009 wrote:It is possible to have .geo files residing in a different folder along with all relevant texture files to the folder your main .bin file is in and not require any additional providers to be ticked. Just place the .bin for your passenger view where your reskinned mk3 is and make it reference the reskinned .geo files somewhere under their usual provider folders. This is how my decals work for the reskinned DT Mk1s that I have on UKTS. The coaches are in DT/Mk1_coaches/WCRC as well as some .bin files for the West Coast logo decal, but every other element of the decal resides in MWilson/WCRC_decal - I appreciate my stuff doesn't have DRM, but the theory of making the passenger view reskin sit within the original provider folder structure with its own sub folder should mean that DRM isn't an issue.

Of course, the issue you're experiencing could mean I'm wrong, or it isn't DRM, or something else entirely. Importantly you're in the right place to hopefully solve this.

I am part way through making all of my Mk1 stock (there's lots from RSC, DT, JT combined) all use the AP sounds as the usual method of pointing to the original .proxyxml won't be Quick Drive compatible.

Thanks for the tip :)

As I've said I don't care enough about skin because AP have a better one out. But everyone's advice will be very useful next time I run into this. The only problem with your idea, as far as I know, is that you wouldn't be able to change the textures without affecting the original HST's textures I think?
Last edited by RealRails on Fri May 23, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RealRails
General Shed Duties

Postby deltic009 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:01 pm

RealRails wrote:Thanks for the tip :)

As I've said I don't care enough about skin because AP have a better one out. But everyone's advice will be very useful next time I run into this. The only problem with your idea, as far as I know, is that you wouldn't be able to change the textures without affecting the original HST's textures in think?

Not if you duplicate the passenger view like you would do with any other type of reskin into its own subfolder. Shouldn't give you DRM issues either, just keep the bin file for the new passenger view inside the same folder as the particular livery of the coach it applies to.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Previous

Return to Re-skinning