What is your current Project?

Everything to do with model railways.

Re: What is your current Project?

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:11 pm

I think that's your best one yet! The oily sheen from the ink is incredibly effective, from what can be seen in the photos.

For transfers, I would try Fox Transfers, although I see the new website is still a maze to navigate. :roll:

Early emblem:
http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/ea ... otem-58631
http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/ea ... otem-58632

Late crest:
http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/la ... rest-67617
http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/la ... rest-67618

Cabside numbers (cream/straw):
http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/st ... izes-67860

Smokebox numbers (white);
http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/st ... izes-67862

Looking at a ruler, and trying to remember the real cabsides I've cleaned, I'd guess scale 8" numbers, but if in doubt those sheets have all three. :)

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Oooo, thank you Chris that is going to be alot of help as its got both varients of numbers e.g. white/cream and the emblems to. Should do a treet, might pop a order in next week.

The 2nd link for cab side you labelled smokebox (got me confused ;) ) but I ended up finding the Ivatt mogul number set http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/mi ... stes-67826 which covers them all. So I'll probably number it different to whats on the bachmann box so its not generic #553 ivatt 4mt 43043 but one of the other class numbers.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 pm

They both look really nice, well done mate. I especially like the Q1 ;)
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Thank you Pete! :D

I actually wombled down to the local model shop and took the 4MT with me to show Simon who is the one of the staff I've known there since I was a kid, he was quite impressed on just how realistic it looked and fondly recalled a few stories behind the 4MTs back in the 50s. What surprised me a old gent who was buying up a few locos leaned over my shoulder to have a look at the 4MT and was actually offering to buy the locomotive off my hands there and then for 150 quid :o I politely declined and said it was my first proper attempt of weathering which had turned out alright in looks and he has actually given me his telephone number to see if I change my mind or if I wish to weather a 4MT he would purchase.

In other news the transfers have been ordered and are being processed at Fox Transfers, I hope they are sent out tomorrow as they didn't today even though paid for on Monday, but we'll see. I opted with getting the Ivatt Mogul number set which allows me to renumber my Ivatt 4mt up to 43099, I'm probably going to go with 43050 or 45 depending on the mood. I also opted with white cab side numbering, while the cream colour did seem suitable I felt that the white was needed for after-application of weathering as I found on the pictures of the 4MT the white dulls down nicely enough to look adequately weathered.

Also with emblems I opted with small which covers 9.88mm wide by 4.5mm tall, I measured up on the side of the tender and I think Fox Transfers large size 14.4mm wide are more for pacifics and duchess sized locos and the small will better fit the Ivatt like tender.

I hope to have them by the end of the week and be able to give the Ivatt a much better makeover with the weathering. Then I may tackle giving the jinty a soft weathering and the pannier some added weathering detail, the pannier tank is unfortunately weathered from bachmann which..is well...less than to be desired as its a straight spray over the entire thing with weathered paint rather than any real areas touched so I'll be adding a few rust points around the water tank lids and other bits.

Then probably finishing up the rolling stock side of weathering and getting down to board layout as I've still yet to actually get any ruddy track down on wood yet :D

I really do appreciate the feedback on the weathering form you folks aswell as other as it gives me much more confidence to take something quite expensive and dirty it up.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby Crumplezone » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Not much has been done I admit, with my sister getting back from Japan its been somewhat hectic ever since and been out and about doing quite alot of not had alot of the "me time" I'd like to have.

So earlier today after having ebay deliver some "modelling coal" and also getting a cheapo bag of jarvis "coal" lumps for £1.10 I decided to mix them together in a tupperware box and see what I could come up with to look like coal put in locomotive tenders.

The photo isn't perfect but it shows what the coal looks like in the tenders and I think it represents pretty well what a coaled up tender would be like, the "modelling coal" has a partial shine to it so with the jarvis coal mixed it gives quite a mixed batch and looks like actual real coal. One could say I could have got real coal but I felt this was a easier method. I have opted for them looking pretty full as the targetted layout is to be a shed with station so I would want them to look like they are ready to leave with coal already setup.

if I get around to buying one of the other freight locos, WD or 8F at some point I might leave that with half empty to empty tender and have that sit about. I have about another 3 locos to re-do their coal bunkers into the above but I need to figure out how to remove the plastic moulding without damaging the body since they are not click out and remove versions on the tank locos.

The Ivatt 4MT is at a prep stage with enamel gloss varnish being applied today on the areas to recieve waterslide transfers. I hope to be able to tackle this tomorrow time permitting and get her numbers and emblem back on. Then after about 12hours of dry time I'll seal it in with some Micro Flat to make them not come off again. Then it'll be a session of the ink + weathering powder method to make the ivatt look how I wanted it originally.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Coal loads always look better than the factory finish molded piles that usually come in the tenders. Unless you glue the coal in and make it a permanent feature, you have to be careful to remember the tank loco or tender is loaded with loose coal.

Last year (or was it last Easter? I can't remember), I decided to take a hammer to a lump of real coal, and that was good fun! I was well pleased with the appearance of the real coal with uneven lumps in the B1's tender, and I also put the rest in my dad's J94 bunker. Sadly, either I forgot to mention this to my dad, or he just forgot that I'd done it, as my dad picked up the J94 and held it sideways, tipping out all the coal and coal dust onto my cream carpet. :(

Chris

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:46 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:Coal loads always look better than the factory finish molded piles that usually come in the tenders. Unless you glue the coal in and make it a permanent feature, you have to be careful to remember the tank loco or tender is loaded with loose coal.

Last year (or was it last Easter? I can't remember), I decided to take a hammer to a lump of real coal, and that was good fun! I was well pleased with the appearance of the real coal with uneven lumps in the B1's tender, and I also put the rest in my dad's J94 bunker. Sadly, either I forgot to mention this to my dad, or he just forgot that I'd done it, as my dad picked up the J94 and held it sideways, tipping out all the coal and coal dust onto my cream carpet. :(

Chris

Bet your mum wasn't to happy over that :lol: I did consider coal but I'd hard alot about coal while realistic can be quite shiny, the stuff I fould on ebay has worked quite nicely when mixed with jarvis coal fragments and created a nice effect to the tenders and as you said it looks so much better than factory moulded. I might create some removal coal wagon loads soon to and invest in a ground level coal staging point so can make some interesting coal mounds. If your interested Chris, the seller is http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/waterworksjoh ... pg=&_from= and he has coal loads right up to G scale, he also does a few other things like ballast and loads like that.

I've popped on the waterslides today, I thought it was going to be really hard to do the cabside numbering but it went on pretty fine (abeit a minor issue of placing the wrong sized zero at first). Dried in a few hours and I popped on some microflat to finish and seal the decals down and to protect them which has dulled and taken off the shine of the humbrol gloss enamel varnish. Shortwhile ago I've dropped another light coat on and covered over all the enamel varnish on the tender to make it flat and less shiny and I hope by morning it looks just fine.

Finally to finish on the Ivatt 4mt is a touch up weathering as after removing the previous and then painting on a all over smoke-ish coloured slush weathering powder mixture its come off slightly. I want to give it a similar finish to what I've done with the 2-6-0 4MT so hopefully that'll work out ok to.

Future thoughts are if I wish to re-number a locomotive or change its emblem then fox transfers is going to be the port of call get new ones and I don't feel to offput by doing it. I may purchase some BR coach roundels for my BR maroons coaches which are not marked up with anything. Hope to have a few photos up of the Ivatt 4MT in a few days.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Crumplezone wrote:Bet your mum wasn't to happy over that :lol:

She probably wouldn't have been happy, had Dyson not come to the rescue, although being my room I think I was more pissed off about it than anyone else. :lol:

Chris

cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Crumplezone » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:50 am

Re-numbered, emblem re-applied, re-weathered to the new technique I used on the 2-6-0 4MT and now truly befitting of its other nickname, Mucky Duck:

You may notice on the tender that it carries the late emblem while online photographs of 43050 show early emblem, its not actually a error on my part ;) I have a photo of 43050 in 1960 outside Darlington shed which seems to show the late emblem (and I would assume by 1960 it would have the late emblem anyway), most shots available are of its earlier days and also the bachmann club edition which I didn't actually know was in existance to I looked up photos.

I am quite happy with how things turned out, especially after most of the lining, numbers and emblem all came off after the first weathering attempt went tits up, I think it looks workstained but still in service in its current guise and sits well with the 2-6-0 4MT. I am probably going to have to take the right side steps off and the door again on the tender as they have gone abit wonky when glueing but that isn't to much of a issue. I've tightened up the spacing between tender and loco aswell but may make it even tighter by adding a extra hole in the connection bar which would bring it close to real scale distance, but we'll see if its doable with tighter radius on pointwork.

Hope you enjoy the photos.
Crumplezone
Full Time Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:56 am

That looks like a worn and tired rust bucket.. GREAT work mate! :)
Really cool to see how you've worked through it all.. makes me want to start modelling again.
VictoryWorks
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Model Railways