Flight Simulator screenshots thread

Talk about Flight Simulators!

Flight Simulator screenshots thread

Postby styckx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:52 am

Always need a screenshot thread! I fly more than I drive trains so I'll probably be the only one using this.. lol

Prepar3D 2.3 / PNW / A2A Cessna 172 - Heading out to `The Great Bend' from KHQM.

styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Flight Simulator screenshots thread

Postby Stone75 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Very nice ! Not been on FSX for a few years so very out of touch with it all. P3D worth the leap from FSX ? Used to love flying Orbx sceneries as well as some of the bigger airports. Also got heavy into photoshopping screenshots which I enjoyed. All seems so long ago :roll: Cheers for posting these up, I look forward to more. Who knows I might get back into it one day :shock:

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby styckx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Stone75 wrote:Very nice ! Not been on FSX for a few years so very out of touch with it all. P3D worth the leap from FSX ? Used to love flying Orbx sceneries as well as some of the bigger airports. Also got heavy into photoshopping screenshots which I enjoyed. All seems so long ago :roll: Cheers for posting these up, I look forward to more. Who knows I might get back into it one day :shock:

steve

Definitely worth the leap. FSX is a barbaric hunk of junk at this point.. Lockheed Martin have done so much.

The sim is now 100% DX11
Most all FSX addons still work in it. There are a few that have some sound issues etc but for the most part its fully backwards compatible with FSX addons
No more endless tweaking to gain a few FPS
Full control of dynamic shadows from inside the cockpit to the terrain, objects, vegetation.
Volumetric fog
Lines upon lines upon lines upon lines of bug fixes and performance improvements
Good framerates are not a problem to achieve anymore

The developers interact with the customers purely as professionals. They are not there to be your friend and be buddy buddy. They are there to do their job and support you and do a remarkably insane job of it. The very guys hammering out code to the core simulator are the ones trying to solve your problem in pure nerd speak. The community also will help.

Just an example of how transparent they are and there to help solve core problems ASAP. (scroll to the bottom of page one to Beaus post): http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... c&t=7984.0

Major releases will always require a repurchase.. Point releases are free. ie: I paid for 1.0 and up to version 1.4 was free. Then I paid for v2.0 and 2.1 2.2 and 2.3 have all been free upgrades but when version 3.0 is ready you require a repurchase.

You still have to be careful with settings things to extreme to avoid out of memory errors but for the most part she's a rock and makes FSX look like a dying dog

Yes, you can have clouds casting ground shadows now. :)

Here are a few of the main settings screens to give you an idea how many options you have now.

styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby DPSimulation » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Lovely screenshots Bill.

I'm a bit confused though, I'd never seen this Prepar3D before and decided to take a look. Referring to http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overvie ... omparison/ and the bottom part of the comparison, it says not to use for personal consumer entertainment. Or am I looking at the wrong version of the product?
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby styckx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

DPSimulation wrote:Lovely screenshots Bill.

I'm a bit confused though, I'd never seen this Prepar3D before and decided to take a look. Referring to http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overvie ... omparison/ and the bottom part of the comparison, it says not to use for personal consumer entertainment. Or am I looking at the wrong version of the product?

Technically you can buy the Professional version for at home use as it falls under you doing "Simulation". Also technically you can purchase the academic version as most hobby at home simmers are falling under "Learning". ;) Those at home hobbiest simmers who have $200.00 to blow are buying the professional version to support development. Those at home hobbiest who don't have the cash are buying the academic version. It's LM (speculation among the community) way of being ambiguous with things to get an affordable version to home hobby simmers without labeling it as such.. Obvious their agreement with MS states they can't sell it as an entertainment product, so the Academic version is sort of their *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* way of dancing around it for at home casual hobby simmers. They have never told us that, they have never alluded to it, and they never will. It's just kind of unspoken among the community and if you ask them what version to buy, they will just direct you to the page and explain all details there that you need to know to make the right choice.

Most everyone pays for the right license though. True professionals (real pilots sharpening their skills, trainers etc etc) are buying the professional version, developers the monthly fee version, and casual at home simmers the academic version. No one is looking to rip them off. They've been fantastic to the flight sim community and are true professionals. The main reasoning (again speculation among the community) for all the "not for personal consumer entertainment" literature is because it's part of the licensing agreement with Microsoft to not market it as an entertainment product.
styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby DPSimulation » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation Bill, I wasn't aware of the Microsoft link.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby styckx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 pm

DPSimulation wrote:Thanks for the explanation Bill, I wasn't aware of the Microsoft link.

Yeah. Lockheed Martin licensed out the source code to Microsoft ESP to further develop the code back in 2009.. Microsoft ESP Was Microsofts commercial version of FSX for training and commercial use etc.
styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Stone75 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:04 am

Cheers Bill for the info, understand now why P3D is the way to go. How close is V3 to coming out or is a long way off yet ?

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby styckx » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:47 am

Stone75 wrote:Cheers Bill for the info, understand now why P3D is the way to go. How close is V3 to coming out or is a long way off yet ?

steve

We haven't even got to the speculation portion of P3D 3.0 even is in development yet so. Not close as far as we know. Think they still have a few more nuisances with v2 to hammer out before moving on. The nice thing is Lockheed is very liberal with beta testers and NDAs.. They will keep them under NDA for X amount of time then once the NDA expires they are free to speak about the next version. Testers were allowed to post videos of beta versions of v2.3 months before release. (same case w/ prior versions) None of this `secret society' curtain DTG like to hide behind. This is why I'm so brutal with DTG because I see how true professionals work and how amateur DTG really are.

I mean. Are you curious what has changed since they started development in detail?? Just a click away.. No stupid guessing, no begging on Facebook. They hide nothing and document everything.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningC ... Center.php

styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby styckx » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:20 am

Orbx Southern Alaska flying out of PAYA
Realair Lancair Legacy
Exterior and Interior repaint is actually one of mine

styckx
Fit for Firing Duties

Next

Return to Flight Simulators