Loft creation

Loft creation

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 am

There is a canal loft available in the Woodhead loft assets but it is for a broad canal, not the much more common narrow variety. The loft, measured in-game, is about 60ft wide where the Erewash and Nottingham canals, both of which pass under the Bennerley viaduct, are going to be no more than half of that, perhaps 30ft from bank to bank at most - working from the fact that the locks on the Erewash can take boats up to a 14-ft beam. When I laid the mile or so of the abandoned Little Eaton branch of the Derby canal I did it all by hand and it's OK-ish but with the height of the viaduct the view over the Erewash valley means we'll have to lay at least a couple of miles of both canals on either side and life's getting a bit short for that!

So is it time to learn about creating a loft? I can't find anything on YouTube. How easy is it? (How long is a piece of string? ROFL!)

I assume it's one element that is repeated with, if necessary, some kind of end piece, such as a post in a fence, which we can probably do without.

Does anyone have any pointers, please?

Thanks,
Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Re: Loft creation

Postby eyore » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 am

I think the best explanation of making lofts was in the original developer docs, since when DTG have slowly reduced the quality of info they provide, firstly with the wiki, then subsequent Dev Manuals.

If you haven't got a copy of the originals I believe they are all available here http://railworksamerica.com/download-library/accessories?view=document&id=1081:rsc-s-developer-docs&catid=24:accessories (busy downloading them myself, so haven't checked them all out yet)

Otherwise UKTS and other train sim sites have a number of threads on the subject of loft creation, which are very helpful.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Re: Loft creation

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks, Phil.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Return to 3D Objects General